The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2019, 12:11 AM   #1
Prof Young

Youngest reloader . . .

Six year old grand son came down to the reloading room to find me. He's been in there before, even pulled the press handle a few times. This time we learned the steps. Inspect the case, deprime and size, prime, expand and drop powder, check to make sure case is charged, seat bullet, crimp and inspect for cracks. I had him saying the steps with me. Couple days later I asked him about it. He could pretty well repeat the steps. Gotta love it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 16, 2019, 12:27 AM   #2
Reloadron

Great feeling isn't it? You can see it in their eyes as they catch on. I always tell my kids that the very best gift they ever gave us was the grandchildren, Enjoy these precious formative years,

Ron
Old January 16, 2019, 05:08 AM   #3
std7mag

I'm too young for grandchildren just yet...
But i'm happy for you to be spending quality time together.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 16, 2019, 07:41 AM   #4
zeke

The best times i had growing up was with grandfather. Introduced to shooting with his bb gun, then 22 and he bought us shotguns when we turned 12. Then small game hunting, with grandmother frying up the bag.
Old January 16, 2019, 09:04 AM   #5
cw308

My Grandparents raised me from 13 on up , Now being one myself its a new start over , life is so enjoyable and the things they come out with , keeps a smile on your face for days . Life goes on and life is Good .
Old January 16, 2019, 10:48 AM   #6
Wag

Children learn so easily and they trust you and do what you teach them. Best teaching experience you can have.

--Wag--
Old January 16, 2019, 11:20 AM   #7
AmmunitionDepot

That's awesome! It's amazing how their minds are like a sponge. I'm sure those are also memories he'll never forget.
Old January 16, 2019, 11:22 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

I grew up in my grandparents' house. All of the good in me comes from my grandfather. It was a 'tough' place to grow up, as a kid, with all the additional rules. But, as an adult, I feel like there couldn't have been a better place for me.
It would have been even better if my grandfather was a shooter, hunter, and reloader. Alas, an incident involving a bleeding deer carcass on the kitchen table and an irate wife (that already hated guns), and the murder of his brother shortly thereafter (with a pump action .22), resulted in him giving up anything gun related just before I was born.

My father, even with his mistakes and failings, did let myself and my brothers start reloading when we were young. When we could pull the press handle without being a danger to ourselves or others, we were allowed to help. When we could show safe loading procedures, start to finish, we were put to work loading .223 Rem.

My six year old son came into the reloading room a few months back, to see what I was doing. He's helped a little bit in the past.
He explained the steps as I primed a few cases, and I let him finish the lot. Then he went over them again as I threw powder charges and seated bullets for a couple rounds of .300 Blk subsonics. I let him take over. He loaded 8-10 rounds perfectly, with just a little extra guidance on how to align the bullets better with the Hornady sliding collar without risking finger crushing. I didn't even watch the rest.

He finished off the box.

I secretly fired them all a couple days later, so there would be no chance of injury to him due to a mistake of his that I missed. But, I also secretly reloaded the box, so that he can shoot them all the next time he and the Blackout are with me.

I think he'll get quite the kick out of shooting his own reloads. The .300 Blackout is also, after all, something he loves anyway. It's a "big gun" that he can shoot without assistance.
Old January 16, 2019, 04:20 PM   #9
Crankylove

I learned alongside Frankenmauser, mostly from dad, but also from an uncle and my dads father as well..................... but they were/are mostly examples of what NOT to do when reloading.

My kids (6,5,4,and 2) like to “help” reload. They mostly pull the handle and set cases in the press for decappping/sizing, and like to place bullets for seating. They also love to help sort cases when done tumbling.

They slow me down, like to touch everything on the bench, spill boxes of bullets, and aren’t the best at sorting cases, but, they love to be there with dad “loading bullets” so we can go shoot them later. I enjoy their “help”, and them showing interest in the reloading, target shooting, and hunting, so I don’t turn them away, and won’t, as long as they want to be there.
Old January 16, 2019, 10:30 PM   #10
pwc

Grand kids are two things...little revenge machines and a chance for grandparents to start over.

Revenge machines... buy them a drum for Christmas and tell them they can play with it when they get home, also the police car with lights and siren..neeneer, neeneer.

Second chance to do all the things you didn't do with your kids, or maybe didn't do well with them. Hug them a lot and tell them you love them.

Last edited by pwc; January 16, 2019 at 10:31 PM. Reason: spelling