The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2017, 09:57 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Berry's .380 and 9mm

Does anyone have any experience with this manufacturer? I was going to purchase some at Cabelas two weeks ago but was talking with another reloader (customer) at the store and he said to stay away from this company. He had mentioned if I remember correctly that they were not the right size. They were slightly bigger than they should be. He suggested to stick to Hornady. Should one stay away from these or was he just trying to suggest to me his preference? Was looking to load 100gr for .380 and 115gr for 9mm. Only for paper target. I purchased Winchestor 231 for both of these.

Are there any suggestions for both of these?
Old December 7, 2017, 11:01 PM   #2
74A95

plated bullets tend to be .001" larger than jacketed bullets for the same caliber. in the 9mm, .355" jacketed bullets are typical, and plated (and cast) bullets are usually .356". this is normal.

lots of people use Berry bullets. nothing wrong with them.
Old December 7, 2017, 11:05 PM   #3
ninosdemente

The boxes did say .356. Thanks.
Old December 8, 2017, 01:06 AM   #4
kmw1954

I can tell you I've been using both Berry's and X-treme plated bullets for over a year and yes Cabela's stock both.

In this past year I have loaded in 9mm 1000 Berry's 115gr RN, 500 124gr RN and 250 124gr. HBFPTP and I will continue to use them again. I have also loaded 500 100gr Xtreme for my 380acp and just purchased another box of the same along with a box of 500 115gr for the 9mm.

I also know a number of folks that load and shoot them in competitions and they all swear by them.

I have been loading the 9mm with HP-38 which is the same as the Winchester and I am very pleased with the results. Though I can't say I've had the same success with that powder in the 380. Others have but I haven't, it may just be the gun.

Berry's sells them by the box count of 250 for a reasonable price, so I suggest buy a box of the 115gr and the 100gr and I'll bet it doesn't take long to shoot thru them.
Old December 8, 2017, 05:10 AM   #5
SouthGA

Have loaded tens of thousands of Berry’s between, 380, 9mm and 45 ACP

All good experiences
Old December 8, 2017, 08:11 AM   #6
David R

Using Berry's 100 grain in my 380s with great luck. 3.3 grains of 231 gets me 764 fps av. From my LCP. For hot loads, I use unique.

David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 8, 2017, 10:21 AM   #7
Charlie98

When you think of plated bullets as 'coated cast bullets,' as they are, then you can see where the size difference is. Cast bullets are typically .001" larger than the same bullet in a true jacketed design, and the fact they are plated will give it a slight inconsistency, anyway.

Plated bullets are, however, a great alternative to straight cast bullet, and I shoot a lot of them... including Berry's (and, for that matter, whatever is on the shelf.) Never had a problem with inaccuracy or barrel fouling.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 8, 2017, 10:24 AM   #8
FITASC

Another up-vote for both Berry's and Xtreme plated bullets. They both work excellent.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 8, 2017, 10:33 AM   #9
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_98 View Post
When you think of plated bullets as 'coated cast bullets,' as they are, then you can see where the size difference is. Cast bullets are typically .001" larger than the same bullet in a true jacketed design, and the fact they are plated will give it a slight inconsistency, anyway.

Plated bullets are, however, a great alternative to straight cast bullet, and I shoot a lot of them... including Berry's (and, for that matter, whatever is on the shelf.) Never had a problem with inaccuracy or barrel fouling.
Plated bullets are not cast bullets. They are swaged bullets, that are then electroplated with copper.
Old December 8, 2017, 10:36 AM   #10
ninosdemente

Thanks guys for the replies. Berry's it is then.

Any difference between Berry's and Hornady? At this moment I rather go with Berry's as I would get more for just the same price I would pay for Hornady for less projectiles. At first, the 231 was intended for the 9mm only but decided to use it for the .380 as well. At the store did try to get Unique for the .380 but did not have them in stock.
Old December 8, 2017, 10:36 AM   #11
FITASC

They eliminate the lube smoke - helpful when shooting at an indoor range.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 8, 2017, 11:18 AM   #12
kmw1954

What is the 380 that you will be shooting them in? As I said that powder didn't work for me in my 380 with a 100gr bullet. Found Ramshot Silhouette worked very well in it.

Please post back your results with the 380 and that powder I would be very interested to see how it works out for you.
Old December 8, 2017, 11:27 AM   #13
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
Any difference between Berry's and Hornady? At this moment I rather go with Berry's as I would get more for just the same price I would pay for Hornady for less projectiles.
Jacketed tend to be more accurate than plated. Of course, it depends on whose bullets you're comparing.
Old December 8, 2017, 11:36 AM   #14
kmw1954

At the pressures and distances these are shot to I believe the difference is miniscule at best. At least I can't tell a difference at 7-10yds.

Also if you watch Cabela's website or X-treme they run sales often and the savings can be substantial.
Old December 8, 2017, 12:16 PM   #15
ninosdemente

It will be shot from S&W M&P Bodyguard. Yes, they had a sale a couple weeks when I tried to buy them. The person I spoke me got me thinking which is why I did not end up buying them and then I had missed the Hornady sale they had going on. Will wait again to see if I can get either of them on sale. Thanks everyone.
Old December 8, 2017, 12:27 PM   #16
FITASC

Quote:
Also if you watch Cabela's website or X-treme they run sales often and the savings can be substantial.
Xtreme had a Black Friday special with 20% off and free shipping.
Old December 8, 2017, 01:37 PM   #17
kmw1954

FITASC, yes they did and unfortunately for me I just bought a bunch at the Cabela's sale 10 days earlier, Saved about $8.00 per box of 500 but also got a rebate for 100 XTREME unprimed brass.
Old December 8, 2017, 01:42 PM   #18
pgdion

I use Berry's played bullets all the time in many calibers including 9mm, .40s&W, and .45acp .... Never any issues with them. Love their product.
Old December 8, 2017, 02:11 PM   #19
Hammerhead

Quote:
Any difference between Berry's and Hornady?
Hornady are jacketed, Berry's are plated.
Berry's has been good for me, but jacketed are more accurate at distance. But if you're just starting out plated is fine.
Old December 9, 2017, 08:20 AM   #20
m&p45acp10+1

I shot up several hundred dollars worth of Berry's before I started casting my own lead. I still use them for my .41 Mag for the hotter target loads with H110. I shoot a bunch of them in 9mm through my Glock. They seem to work just fine. I have never had any problems with them. I did once make the mistake of buying .44 bullets when I was needing .41 cal. Cabela's was good about letting me return the box as it was still sealed.
Old December 9, 2017, 11:32 AM   #21
briandg

here's a tip.

if a random person offers you advice, whether positive or negative, it literally has no value. it is one persons opinion about a product that is easily misunderstood. people who are unhappy with a product are loud and proud.

i had a guy once approach me and tell me that the bourbon i was buying sucked. pony tail, duck guy beard, dirty shirt.

of course i took my buffalo trace out of the cart and replaced it with a bottle of "old red coon hound special blend". he had recently drunk a hundred bottles of it and "it worked great".
Old December 9, 2017, 11:53 AM   #22
Charlie98

Quote:
Plated bullets are not cast bullets. They are swaged bullets, that are then electroplated with copper.
Well, I guess you can split hairs if you want, the effect is the same. What I meant was, load and shoot them as if they were cast bullets, generically speaking.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 9, 2017, 01:05 PM   #23
kmw1954

Sorry Charlie 98 but I too have to disagree and the "as Cast" is a misconception even in generalities. More and more data is being published by the powder manufactures all the time which support this. Look through Western/Accurate website load data they now have a very well detailed amount of plated data which shows that even among plated brands there is a difference.
Old December 9, 2017, 01:31 PM   #24
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_98 View Post
Well, I guess you can split hairs if you want, the effect is the same. What I meant was, load and shoot them as if they were cast bullets, generically speaking.
Splitting hairs? Hardly.

They are made by completely different mechanisms. Plated bullets are made by pressing solid lead into a mold under hydraulic pressure, then electroplated with copper.

Cast bullets are made by melting lead the the liquid lead is then poured into a mold. Cast bullets can be made from a harder alloy for this reason.

They also produce very different velocities with the same load: https://books.google.com/books?id=da...cketed&f=false
Old December 9, 2017, 03:33 PM   #25
flyguy958

Berry makes a great product. I have used a lot of them for range practice ammo. never been disappointed.