The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 2002, 12:16 PM   #1
SXSMAN

Ruger SxS

I now may not be going to the Shot Show,and am hoping someone here that is could look at the SxS that Ruger may release later this year.Looks like it's built along the lines of the red label.Check to see if it will be offered w/choke tubes and what gauges.(I herd only 12,but that maybe wrong)

A posting on shot gun sports had a pic (no longer in data base).There was a topic of the SxS and they said:

Ruger is now saying mid-year on production. 12 gauge only at first. English stock, splinter fore
end, 6.5 pounds, 28 inch barrels, screw chokes.

Please check,if you would for me.This may be a "must" have gun for me.
SXSMAN
Old January 19, 2002, 01:18 PM   #2
Intel6

It's on the cover of the new American Rifleman and there is a small amount of info inside. It looks alot like a Red Lable turned sideways. It has a straight stock and I think it has screw in chokes. It looks real good. I am not a big fan of SxS shotguns and I even liked it.
Old January 19, 2002, 01:35 PM   #3
Dave R

I like the SXS. Very versatile. Pick one of two chokes instantly. Or put a different load in each barrel for more flexibility. Also, its very easy to switch out loads as needed. Just the thing for upland hunting. Keep 7.5's in the "open" barrel for dove, and 6's in the "far" barrel for hungarians/partridge. Or go straight 6's if you start chasing a flock of partridge.
Old January 19, 2002, 02:35 PM   #4
JB in SC

If the 6.5 lb. figure is correct, it could be a very nice shotgun. I've owned two Red Labels (12 and 28), both were quite heavy for their respective gauges.

I like the English "rule" of 96 times the weight of the shot charge to determine the weight of a "field" gun.

Translates to a 6 lb. 12 gauge for 1 ounce load and a 5 lb. 28 gauge for 3/4 ounce load.

It would be difficult for a mass produced choke tube equipped gun to meet that criteria, but close would be great.
Old January 19, 2002, 04:51 PM   #5
K80Geoff

One thing I don't like is that it has a single trigger and straight english style stock.

English style stocks work best with double triggers. Personally I prefer two triggers on a SXS as it makes it quicker to choose barrels. Ruger has a annoying barrel selector built into the safety. I never got used to that when I had a Red Label.

Ruger is also not able to offer (or is not willing to offer, I'm not sure) additional barrels for their guns. In a SXS it is often nice to have longer barrels for waterfowl and a shorter set of barrels for upland hunting.

I hope they have improved their stock mounting with the new SXS. The Red Labels warn against overtightening the stock nut for fear of cracking the stock.

I applaud Ruger for building an american made SXS! I hope it is a good one
Old January 19, 2002, 05:33 PM   #6
PJR

I'll withold my judgement until I actually see the gun in a shop. The much vaunted Ruger trap gun was cataloged, advertised and taken to the Grand and they still are as rare as hen's teeth. Although to be fair, when they said mid-year for the sxs, they didn't specify THIS year did they?

I suspect Ruger is blowing smoke with the 6.5lb promise. Ruger is notorious for heavy shotgun barrels and nose heavy guns particularly in 12 gauge. As well, if the gun comes with standard Ruger screw chokes the barrels will have to be thick enough to take them. All of this with a Ruger action at 6.5 lbs? Only in a copywriter's dream. I'd say closer to 7.5 in 12 gauge.

I'm waiting to be convinced and will believe it when I see it.