The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 27, 2015, 11:15 PM   #1
cowboys1062

Getting a new GPR barrel

Lyman Customer Service emailed me today. The service tech said that he could not weld the rear barrel lug on to my barrel their so he is just going to replace the barrel for a new one! He also gave me some advice on how Lyman tightens Wedge keys. The tech said that when I get the new barrel in to tighten down the two tang bolts when I put the barrel into the stock. He said that by doing this it would raise the barrel a little and the wedge keys would be tight.If keys are to tight let off a turn or two on the tang bolts and that should fix the problem. I want to thank everyone for their opinions and advice! It gave me alot of options to think about. I also relized that some of you have been sending me private messages. I never checked them until I figured out how to check them. Im not very good with computers and am still learning how to do things. As far as posting pictures, my son in law is going to show me how to do this next time he comes to visit. I will reply to everyone that offers help in the future! I appreciate everyones advice and opinions. Im sorry if I offended anyone in the past by not replying to them for their advice. I will always need help and only hope that everyone will continue to reply to my posts. Thank You, Respectfully, cowboys1062.
Old February 28, 2015, 12:18 AM   #2
FrontierGander

He said that by doing this it would raise the barrel a little and the wedge keys would be tight

THAT is the wrong thing to do and is a very common problem and it requires the owner to actually bed the tang. That springy barrel crap they are recommending is bad for your rifle as well as bad for your accuracy. You want the tang screws to be TIGHT in place on the stock and then be able to drop the barrel right in and have the wedge key hold is snug.

A springy barrel like that will cause poor accuracy due to the tang screws loosening up after only a couple shots from that barrel/tang flexing under recoil.

I personally would smack that customer service rep for offering such stupid amateur/uneducated advice like that.
Old February 28, 2015, 08:21 AM   #3
cowboys1062

Your advice well taken.

FrontierGander, I hear what you are saying and makes alot of sense! I dont know why Lymans service tech. would suggest I tighten the tang bolts to fit the wedge keys? I will not do that. Hopefully the wedge keys will fit in the new barrel. If they dont I will put a slight bend in the wedge keys to make them fit. I will leave the tang alone and not mess with it! Thank You, Respectfully, cowboys 1062.
Old February 28, 2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Pahoo

Work the wedges; 1st. pass

Quote:
he is just going to replace the barrel for a new one!
That is great news and sure would be nice if they could mail the old one back....

Quote:
I don't know why Lyman's service tech. would suggest I tighten the tang bolts to fit the wedge keys?
Because this is just "one" of a number of acceptable ways to make the fix but seldom have used it. As mentioned before, I primarily work on the wedges. Also, difficult to do on a double wedge. You will still be chasing your tail. ..

Ideally, when a wedge is properly seated, it should have three contact points along its length. The wedge should be firm but not too tight. After getting a good seat, I mark the wedge, to help me remember on where it belongs. I need all the help, I can get. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 28, 2015, 11:55 AM   #5
FrontierGander

its a great way to break a stock due to poor alignment/bedding of the parts.

The tang is out of adjustment, thats why it springs up into the air. I've had to use 3 small washers in the past under the front of the tang to remove all that springy action. When the barrel it 4 or 5 inches up in the air and you have to squeeze it down into the stock, something aint right!
Old February 28, 2015, 11:57 PM   #6
cowboys1062

Pahoo

Pahoo, I will take your advice on slightly bending the wedge keys if they dont fit the new barrel. I will tap and then check, Tap-check,Tap-check, in that mannor until I get the wedge key to fit snuggly. I will not mess with the tang or tang bolts! I am not difinately bending the barrel lugs. I dont trust myself enough to try this again because that is what got me into trouble in the first place and cost me a barrel! I only hope when I do get the new barrel in, I will try the wedge keys and they will fit. I all so ordered 4 new Escutcheons to replace them because like the owner manuel stated: If the key is rubbing against the Escutcheon file the slots. I filed to much off the Escutcheons slots. Last but not least, I ordered 2 new Wedge Keys. With the new barrel, new Escutcheons and new Wedge keys, I hope everything will come together. Respectfully, cowboys 1062.
Old March 1, 2015, 11:11 AM   #7
Pahoo

Good Plan !!!

Quote:
With the new barrel, new Escutcheons and new Wedge keys, I hope everything will come together. Respectfully, cowboys 1062.
Cowboy,
Sure sounds like you have it covered. Please continue to let us know how you make out. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old March 1, 2015, 10:51 PM   #8
cowboys1062

Pahoo

I think I have prepared as much as I can. With everyones advice I know I have avoided a possible catastrophe with messing around with the tang and tang bolts! I ordered new wedge keys, new Escutcheons and a new barrel coming in.I hope all will be well when I put the rifle back together. If wedge keys are still to loose I will slightly bend the wedge keys. Tap and check, Tap and check, until I get a snug fit. As always I feel from everyones replies I was able to come up with the best and right way of doing things. Thank You for all the help! Respectfully, cowboys 1062.
Old March 2, 2015, 06:30 AM   #9
Old Stony

I have found in these situations, once I get both keys fit the way I want them, I will mark them with a small punch. I put a tiny dimple on the front one, and two tiny dimples on the rear. Barely noticable but I always know where they fit. Best of luck with it.
Old March 2, 2015, 10:49 AM   #10
Pahoo

Just makes sense !!!

Quote:
I put a tiny dimple on the front one, and two tiny dimples on the rear. Barely noticable but I always know where they fit.
Just when I thought I had come up with an original idea. ..
Lately, I have started marking the top-side of the blade and still using the small center punch. On my serious shooters, I key and pin them if they weren't already that way. ......

Be Safe !!!