The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Gdawgs

Ramshot Powders

Whenever someone asks "what's your favorite powder for ____" we always see the usual suspects, but very rarely do I see any Ramshot powders mentioned. I'm just wondering why this is the case. Have people tried them and not liked them? Or is it a matter of availability? Around here, my usual sources do not carry any, so that's why I have never tried it. Or are people just afraid to try new things and like sticking with what they know?

Just curious. I had my dad pick up some True Blue for me that I'm going to try, mainly in my 327, but it looks like it has a pretty wide range of usefulness. Wouldn't mind trying out Enforcer for my 454 and 460.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:20 AM   #2
totaldla

The "Unique" and "Bullseye" crowd are stuck in a rut.

There a zillion good powders and the Ramshot I use is good stuff (Enforcer and Silhouette).

Guys who get their reloading start from a 200 year old guy using a single-stage for his pistol rounds get stuck on Abraham Lincoln favorites of Bullseye and Unique.

Hey it took the last ObamaScare to get me to try Silhouette - glad I did.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:32 AM   #3
bluetopper

Ramshot markets as good a powders as anybody. I like the fact that their powders have names, instead of numbers......less confusing.

Enforcer is hands down the best magnum handgun powder I've ever tried. It is the exact same powder as Accurate 4100.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:53 AM   #4
SL1

I think that part of the problem is data availability. In the latest manuals from bullet companies like Speer and Hornady, I am seeing a few Ramshot powders in the data tables, but not so in earlier manuals. Because data from pressure tests done long ago tends to hang around, even going into the newer manuals, the old companies like Alliant (previously Hercules), Hodgdon, and Winchester still seem to dominate the data that is supplied for specific bullets. So, folks are naturally going to want to buy powders for which they can find lots of applications that they can use.

Another aspect of the competition is that there are a lot of "new" powders that really aren't significantly different from older powders that are still on the market. New ones seem to come out with a lot of advertizing and "hot" load data, but then the loads seem to get toned-down pretty soon to where they are not really giving better performance than the old standbys. So, a lot of reloaders have become somewhat skeptical of the new powder claims and wait to see if other reloaders support those claims.

However, there ARE still some improvements being made in powders, and those DO gather a following.

In that regard, how are people finding the new 300-MP powder?

SL1

Last edited by SL1; February 18, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Gdawgs

I would like to try the 300MP, but like previously mentioned, there are no data out there for it. Aliant's website is worthless, so they don't have any worthwhile data for it. I haven't looked at the new Hornady manual yet, but I'm guessing they would have it listed. Not sure when Lyman 50 is coming out, but I would assume they would have it too.

Looking forward to trying the Ramshot. I think I'll have pops pick me up a pound of Enforcer too before they come to visit.

I also like the way the name their powders rather than seemingly random numbers.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:20 PM   #6
jefferc22

TAC is very good in 7.62/.308 and 5.56.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:33 PM   #7
LE-28

I can't get Ramshot around here so I never mention it. I wish I could, I would love to get some Silioutte and True Blue.

I do have Bullseye, Unique, Power Pistol, and 2400, but I also have Titegroup, Universal, Lill Gun, and H110, Imr 4895,4064,3031,and4350.

If I could get Ramhot powder I would have it also.

No rut here.
Old February 17, 2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Sevens

Quote:
Guys who get their reloading start from a 200 year old guy using a single-stage for his pistol rounds get stuck on Abraham Lincoln favorites of Bullseye and Unique.
Well, uh, ix-nay on the condescension-ay there, Chet.
(that's from a movie, take it in the spirit that it's offered)
I agree to a point, but the folks stuck on the oldies (and I'm a well-known Unique hater) are not competing with us at the powder section, so don't fret too much.

I've got an irrational selection of powders in my cache, almost all of them geared toward handgun rounds.

From my angle, there's a bunch of reasons that I haven't tried a Ramshot powder but the first reason is because they aren't marketed by Hodgdon. Hodgdon's fine online data source is the reason that I tend to choose a Hodgdon or Hodgdon-marketed powder first. That resource is incredibly powerful, flexible and comprehensive. Being able to reference it is an absolute selling point.

The last new powder I picked up was Alliant Power Pro 300-MP and I snagged it because the all too few published velocities I've seen with it have been impressive. Truth be told, I just don't "need" the ultimate in velocity, but as a relatively new chrono owner, it's sort of a sport to wring velocity from some loads. I literally grabbed 300-MP because the store I was at had Alliant powders on sale and I had considered this one for a little while. Early shots fired with it have impressed me in "feel." I haven't been able to chrono them yet, but they feel powerful and smooth -- an observation that I am finding difficult to accurately describe, but I think that's what I'm feeling. (it's possible that I have myself convinced of this rather than it actually happening...)

Worst thing about Power Pro 300-MP is that it's "marketed" by Alliant, so load data is scarce and expert help (only an e-mail away) is horribly vague and unhelpful. But I've rolled some .327 Federal Magnum loads with it that felt terrific and I can't wait to get them through the chrono traps. A few folks on the interwebs have had some decent results with 300-MP in .357 Magnum, where I'm also planning on testing it.

Ramshot? Marketed and backed by Accurate. Decent data source, but not a flexible interface like Hodgdon. And yes, these powders don't seem to appear on the shelves quite as often where I shop. Could be that I'm not looking for them.

As -NEW- powders, I have confidence that they'd do a fine job in any role they are suited, and I wouldn't hesitate to try them...if I didn't already have so #$@$&*'ing many on hand right now.
Old February 17, 2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Nathan

I think Tac would be highly rated in 223.

I too am stuck in a Hodgdon rut for the most part..

If Hodgdon doesn't do what I want, I shop around. Using Accurate for 375 JDJ, but Hodgdon family otherwise.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Gdawgs

I'm with you guys on the Hodgedon web site. They did a fantastic job setting that up. I really like a lot of Aliant's powder, but their website is absolutely worthless.
Old February 17, 2013, 05:44 PM   #11
rclark

Quote:
but their website is absolutely worthless.
Just use the reloading manuals . I have a bookshelf full of them. Who trusts on-line data anyway without a hard copy 'backup'?

That said, I have some Silhouette (previously WAP). Not bad, but I don't have much use for it for .45 Colt, .44Spec, .44Mag, or .357. I just did a test with .45 Colt (found some WAP data for it) but wasn't impressed. The Black Horn 209 was dandy ... just very expensive. Would like to try some True Blue for fun, but never have seen any on the shelf even though Miles City is just 'down the road'. I don't shoot magnum loads much so never tried any Enforcer as 2400 fills that bill for me for the few 'magnum' shots I put down range (and yes Unique, and Bullseye too fill the bill so to speak and I have a shelf full of powders that I've tested and use ) .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:42 PM   #12
reynolds357

I dont mention them because I want to keep them a secret. Really, I recommend them all the time. Awesome powder. Vhitivouri and Norma hardly ever gets mentioned either, but they are also wonderful powders. Ramshot has the same problem CZ has. They are excellent powder/gun makers and absolutely horrid marketers.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:56 AM   #13
cheezhed

I load with win 231 mostly but I am going to buy some HP-38 just to try it out.
Old February 18, 2013, 03:19 AM   #14
Sport45

Quote:
I load with win 231 mostly but I am going to buy some HP-38 just to try it out.
Really going out on a limb there, eh?

TAC is usually listed among the favorites for 5.56/.223 any time I've seen requests for favorites. I like it and also like Enforcer and X-Terminator.
Old February 18, 2013, 06:07 AM   #15
Mike / Tx

Can't say a lot for the handgun powders but I use Big Game, Hunter, and Magnum in quite a few rifle loads. They meter great and give top velocity and accuracy with the loads I use them for.
Old February 18, 2013, 06:20 AM   #16
sourdough44

Most of my powders are Hodgdon & Ramshot, with a little Alliant mixed in.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:21 AM   #17
Viper225

I think the lack of loading data has not helped its popularity.
Then we have the "if it aint broke dont fix it" crowd.

For my rifle reloading I have moved from IMR to Reloader Powder the last few years. RL 15, 17, 19, 22, and 25. Still use some H4895 for heavy bullet 223. I also have 2015BR, 748, and some others like 4007SSC.

For handgun back when we had the first component scare probably 20 years ago I sat down and looked at every handgun I reloaded for and tryed to determine which single powder would best load everything to acceptable performance levels. One powder stood out, Unique.

I have and do use Blue Dot, Red Dot, 231, AA2, AA5, AA7, AA9, H110, 296, Power Pistol, Trail Boss, and Unique for my handgun reloading. I can safely say that I use lots more unique than any other powder however. It may be a 100+ year old powder, but it still works well for a general use pistol powder.
I have thought about trying RamShot for handgun loads, just never had a good enough reason performance wise to try any so far.

More loading data would not hurt anything for RamShot.

My brother on the other hand uses TAC and a couple other RamShot Rifle Powders.

Bob
Old February 19, 2013, 03:16 AM   #18
highbrow

TAC is all I use for High Power Matches 223 AR. All my match ammo is done on a progressive press and TAC meters like water, very consistent. Have used it some in 308, 30-06 and 8mm Mauser. Down to 24 lb left. Good thing I have 16lb on the way.

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old February 19, 2013, 08:07 AM   #19
Gdawgs

Well I'm looking forward to trying it out. I think I'm going to call dad and have him pick up some Enforcer for me as well. They'll be coming for a visit in a couple weeks.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:05 PM   #20
Sport45

I suggest using mag pistol primers with the Enforcer. I had some ignition problems using standard primers. Rifle primers light it off nicely in .30 Carbine.

Last edited by Sport45; February 20, 2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:25 PM   #21
reynolds357

When Ramshot first came out they recommended magnum primers on all their loads that I saw. Dont think thats still the case today.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:33 AM   #22
2ndtimer

I love Ramshot TAC in the .223. It also works quite well in the .338 Federal, although I do prefer IMR-8208XBR in that cartridge. I tried a pound of Hunter and Big Game, but didn't find anything special that could not be achieved with one of the 4350's for Hunter, or Varget or IMR-4064 in place of Big Game. I haven't gotten around to trying their handgun powders, being content with Titegroup and Universal Clays for standard loads and Unique and W-296 for the .357 Magnum.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:20 PM   #23
Sevens

Quote:
Rifle primers light it off nicely in .30 Carbine.
...Just wanted to add that it should-- and that you should never use pistol primers in the .30 Carbine as it's a catridge that reaches a 40k psi max. Same with .327 Federal peaking at 45k. Small rifle primers ONLY.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:23 PM   #24
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The "Unique" and "Bullseye" crowd are stuck in a rut.

There a zillion good powders and the Ramshot I use is good stuff (Enforcer and Silhouette).

Hey it took the last ObamaScare to get me to try Silhouette - glad I did.
It sounds like the only reason you got out of your own "rut" was because you had no other choice.
Something about a pot and a kettle comes to mind...

---

I've loaded True Blue, X-Terminator, Big Game, and Hunter.
True Blue was unpredictable, very energetic, and not fun to work with. It reminded me of working with Blue Dot in loads that had an air space.
The X-Terminator loads haven't been fired yet, but I expect them to do just fine.
Big Game and Hunter were both great to work with, and provided great consistency around 50-70 degrees F. However... they completely went to crap below freezing or in hot weather (80-100 F); where more well-reputed powders (such as RL-19 and W780) maintained their consistency.

There's a proper use for every powder, and most reloaders would be well-served by the Ramshot line. But.. Right now, based on my experience, True Blue, Big Game, and Hunter are best used as decorations. To actually launch a projectile from a firearm, I reach for other options.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:01 PM   #25
Gdawgs

FrankenMauser, what calibers did you use the True Blue in? I was going to try it in my 327.