The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 14, 2009, 07:36 PM   #1
JarYetz

My collection thus far :D

Well, you guys were right. I got one and then I had to get another. As if you guys have never seen either of these before...I present to you, my new non-historic 1851 Navy 44 and 1858 Remmie 44.

Yay me!

So far I've shot the Remmie, and it was by far the coolest gun firing experience I've had. That night, I went and ordered the 1851 Navy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pistols.jpg (226.8 KB, 489 views)
Old May 14, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2
CaptainCrossman

to be honest, all ya really need it a Rem '58. Anything after that is icing and gravy. Have fun- nice guns ! And my hat's off to you, for buying a steel frame Colt.
Old May 14, 2009, 08:12 PM   #3
JarYetz

I was surprised by the feel of the Colt actually. I like the way it fits my hand a lot better than the Remington, and for some reason it feels like its built a lot tighter, too. I can't wait to shoot em both side by side.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:38 PM   #4
ClemBert

Cool...another struck by the holly black disease!

BTW, both Piettas? Gotta get me a 1862 Pocket Police or an 1851 Navy next.

Is the backstrap and trigger guard plated nickle on that 1851?

Old May 15, 2009, 12:04 AM   #5
Fingers McGee

It looks like one of the Civilian Models from Cabelas.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 15, 2009, 05:10 AM   #6
JarYetz

They are both Piettas.

Fingers is correct, its the Civilian model from Cabelas.

Cabelas claims that the backstrap and trigger guard are "Silver-plated" but I actually wanted to ask the community what they thought about that. Do they mean silver as in the metal, or silver as in the color?
Old May 15, 2009, 05:18 AM   #7
Dingoboyx

Nice guns Jaryetz

Now all you need is a nics stainless ROA
Old May 15, 2009, 06:02 AM   #8
mykeal

Silver as in nickel (the color).
Old May 15, 2009, 12:11 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Do they mean silver as in the metal, or silver as in the color?
Quote:
Silver as in nickel (the color).
Well.............. I'm not too sure. I had a pair of them that the BS/TG tarnished just like real honest to gosh silver. After a years worth of shooting SASS matches, they were turning a nice blue/black.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 15, 2009, 04:12 PM   #10
mykeal

Could be.

I had one that I'm sure was nickel, not silver, plated. May have been done by a previous owner, since I've not seen a reference to a nickel plated BS/TG from the factory.

Don't have it any more. It had been badly treated and I gave it to a friend as a parts gun several years ago.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:48 PM   #11
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Cabelas claims that the backstrap and trigger guard are "Silver-plated" but I actually wanted to ask the community what they thought about that. Do they mean silver as in the metal, or silver as in the color?

I was under the impression that most revolvers that have a 'silver' BS/TG is actually 'German Silver". German silver has a color resembling silver, but is an alloy of primarily copper, nickel and zinc. I have seen the term used by many gun makers in antique ads.
Old May 16, 2009, 03:20 PM   #12
JarYetz

Added another 1858 Remmie today! Took in the expired coupon and explained that since they didn't have any in stock during the time of the spring sale, I'd be willing to purchase one now if they gave me that price ($169.99). Sure enough, they did.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg COLLECTION.jpg (155.9 KB, 321 views)
Old May 16, 2009, 03:32 PM   #13
SamStafford

Love those Remingtons. I have 2 of them. 1 has a R&D cylinder .45LC in it.
Old May 16, 2009, 05:59 PM   #14
Gaucho Gringo

Looks like your family of cap & ball revolvers is growing nicely. I also started with the same guns you did or should I say you started with the same guns I did. I think the first gun any newbe should buy is an 1858 Remington, just my personal opinion. It is such an easy gun to learn on. Now I am looking to buy an 1863 Pocket Remington, 1862 Pocket Navy, 1849 Baby Dragoon, 1851 Navy in .36, 1858 Remington Navy and a Colt Walker. I am also looking for conversion cylinders for my guns. Not in the order listed as I am trying to buy used to save a few bucks. I feel confident enough after 4 or 5 years of black powder experience to buy used guns even though I have been shooting for 51 years now.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old May 16, 2009, 10:54 PM   #15
Fingers McGee

Quote:
I was under the impression that most revolvers that have a 'silver' BS/TG is actually 'German Silver". German silver has a color resembling silver, but is an alloy of primarily copper, nickel and zinc. I have seen the term used by many gun makers in antique ads.
Could be; but, does German Silver tarnish? The backstraps of my Navy Arms Frontiersman '51 Navies are silver (color) and have not tarnish a bit in 3 years. Are they Nickel plated or German Silver?
Old May 17, 2009, 06:07 AM   #16
mykeal

German silver does not polish bright and shiny like silver or nickel. It does not tarnish but it can become duller over time. If your backstrap is shiny like polished silver and does not tarnish it is likely nickel plated.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:05 AM   #17
madcratebuilder

I looked through my Colt 2nd and 3rd gen books and I found the term 'German Silver' used on the front sights of several models and the term 'Silver" for the back straps and trigger guards.

How quickly well silver plate tarnish? My revolvers well polish up to a nice shine but seen to get a dull look after one or two trips to the range, but I don't see any sign of them tarnishing.
Old May 17, 2009, 07:14 PM   #18
Fingers McGee

The area in front of the loop on the trigger guard on my '61 Navies is turning blue/black after about 6 months of CAS matches. One of my F series 2nd Gens made in 1979 has a totally black backstrap & trigger guard from sitting in the box for 30 years. In fact, the guy I bought it from thought it was blued instead of silver. A couple others have some tarnishing in spots.
Old May 18, 2009, 05:48 AM   #19
GLADIO

sweet collection, or should i say
sweet family!!!

[edit] the middle 1858 grips look like having some matte look to them instead of the glossy stock finish...
or is it just the pic?

Last edited by GLADIO; May 18, 2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:36 AM   #20
JarYetz

The finish on them is the same, but the middle grip actual wood grain/appearence is nowhere near as nice as the top one, and it actually gives them a flatter look.
Old May 18, 2009, 08:59 AM   #21
noelf2

What do you need two remmies for? OK, just funnin, I have two of them also and both pietta. One of mine is the case hardened steel frame and the other is just like yours but a target model from Cabelas. I put an R&D cylinder in the target model.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:03 AM   #22
JarYetz

I think to do CAS competition you need two pistols, so I got 2 of the same remmies.