The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2008, 11:12 PM   #1
NIA

Want to learn how to make own ammo

Does any one have any advice for someone who has never made their own ammo on how to get started. What books are reccomened and materials. Where do I get them from and what should i be careful about. How expensive is it. what are the advantages of making ones own ammo? Eager to learn
Old September 3, 2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Sevens

There's a thread at the top of this forum that can help you on the basics.

For books, all of the big bullet makers produce them, all of the big reloading companies makes them, and they each go for around $12 or so up to $50 each. Try your local library for free reading. I know mine carries a couple.

Expensive: Can be cheap (a couple hundred) to very expensive (well more than a thousand dollars) to get started. Tough part is that you need to buy a number of tools before you can do anything, and after you have all that set up, you then need to buy components. "Components" are the four things you need that make up the ammo: brass, bullets, powder and primers. And the more of them you can buy in bulk, the cheaper it is. So if you can spend a heap, you can save the most. If you can only afford a little, the cost per round will be much more.

You should be saving and scrounging brass. Keep all that you shoot and pick up anyone else's if they don't want it. After brass, the bullets are the most expensive.

Try www.midwayusa.com for all the tools you'll ever need, with excellent descriptions, user reviews and product comparisons. The selection is better than everywhere else.

Advantages of reloading:
--Cheaper per round costs... usually costs half or less for most ammo.
--usually makes better ammo. Not much better than premium ammo, but typically much better than the cheapo ammo most of us buy
--incredibly rewarding, enjoyable hobby that gives a sense of accomplishment
--very flexible with regards to building specialized ammo and tailoring it to your needs
--never have to purchase factory ammo anymore

Disadvantages of reloading:
--total money pit, like any hobby. You are forever picking up new tools or upgrading some that you have
--also spend a heap on trying new powders, picking up different bullets you've never tried, etc etc
--you can reload in a small dedicated (or portable) space, but you start gathering so many different pieces of brass and bullets and powders that you will REALLY want a large space to feel comfy
--gotta pick up all your brass and this isn't so bad unless you shoot a lot of semi-auto, then it's a real hassle as you have to constantly chase flung brass
--can certainly be dangerous to your firearms, your hands and face and other things and people near you in the event that you can't follow directions and keep tabs on the way you operate. (this is not too difficult for most people)

Come back to this thread with more questions!
Old September 3, 2008, 12:22 PM   #3
tom234

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=230171
Old September 3, 2008, 12:25 PM   #4
jeepster11

reloading

i got into reloading about 4 years ago and started on a lee 4 hole turrett press and it was great for rifle and large pistol loads like my 45-70 or 460 and 500 smith and saved me about half i could load a hundred rounds for what i could buy 2 and a half boxes of 20 rounds each box for every hundred i could reload. and then i upgraded to a dillon rl 550 and never looked back i can load about 300 to 500 an hour of 45 acp . i tend to try to get ahead and whenever i get down time i go and load as many as i can like right now i have 600 to 800 45s already loaded and ready to shoot so i dont have to load before i shoot i always have ammo good luck and stay safe
Old September 3, 2008, 04:20 PM   #5
CrustyFN

Quote:
i tend to try to get ahead and whenever i get down time i go and load as many as i can like right now i have 600 to 800 45s already loaded and ready to shoot so i dont have to load before i shoot i always have ammo good luck and stay safe
That's one of the positives for me. I seem to always have 1,000 rounds or so laying around ready to shoot. I try not to let any caliber get below a couple hundred.
Rusty
Old September 3, 2008, 06:09 PM   #6
BigJimP

Lots of good equipment out there - RCBS, Hornady, Dillon, etc but personally, I prefer Dillon - and specifically the XL 650.

There is a significant savings - per box of every caliber from 9mm to .44 mag / probably average savings of at least $ 5 - $ 8 a box of 50 rounds.

Getting started requires some study, and a thorough understanding of how your press operates and what you expect to see from every station or process - but its really not complicated. It requires some equipment and some capital in equipment, components, etc / but more than anything it requires an attitude where you have to pay attention to details ( specs on length, components, powder drop, etc ), keeping your equipment clean and well tuned and keep a good clean bench. If you like working thru these kinds of details - you will probably like reloading. If you don't - let it go.

Personally, I would reload even if it wasn't a big savings. I know my ammo is significantly more accurate than most of the big mfg's ammo / let alone some of the cheap stuff on the market. I like shooting my own ammo / and I like getting my boys and the grandkids involved in reloading - spending a little quality and focused time. I have a progressive loader - and it'll easily turn out 20 boxes an hour - so my dedicated time isn't really significant but I like spending time in my shop working up my reloads. I load 6 calibers for handguns these days / and 4 gagues of shotguns - and I usually keep 20 - 40 boxes of ammo per caliber in stock. Over this past weekend - I ran 30 boxes of 9mm one afternoon and restocked that caliber. Tonite I will probably break the press down - clean it thoroughly - and set it up for .44 Mag because I'm down to about 5 boxes on that caliber.