The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 8, 2007, 01:07 AM   #1
jsmosby

Need Advice On Best Bear Pistol

I plan on taking some fishing trips to the North (Wyoming, Idaho, Montana). I am thinking of carrying a sidearm in case of black bear or grizzly bear.

I currently own a:

1) .45 Colt/.45 ACP Ruger Blackhawk 7.5" barrel (SA); and

2) .357 Magnum Ruger GP100 6" barrel (DA).

If I have the time, in an emergency situation, I would be firing single action, so the double action feature is not a significant factor to me.

Which would be a better bear gun?

I don't want to buy any more guns (too expensive).
Old July 8, 2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Bigger is better. That also holds for the loads for that .45; 300-grain bullets are better than 250s.

Using plinker loads for practice, try using a Weaver stance and cocking the pistol with your left thumb. You'd be surprised how fast you can be quite accurate.

Art
Old July 8, 2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Renfield

.45 Colt

with some hard cast Buffalo Bore ammo

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old July 8, 2007, 10:39 AM   #4
fisherman66

The Taurus Judge is a revolver that can shoot 410 shotgun slugs as well as 45lc. I find that to be appealing medicine for bears, but I really would want a big bore rifle if I were in Grizzly country.
Old July 8, 2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Sarge

Quote:
If I have the time, in an emergency situation, I would be firing single action, so the double action feature is not a significant factor to me.
"In an emergency situation" you may well have the bear inside your shirt with you, before you even get a good grip on the gun. You'll also have a tough time with that thumb-buster if you get your shootin' hand thumb busted or bit off. I pesonally think the .357, even with hot 180 hardcast bullets, is a little light for this kind of duty; and a little long in the snout for it as well.

Don't get me wrong- I love single actions, and I know some guys who can run onescary fast- even with heavy loads. Speaking only for myself here, but if I even remotely anticipated a 'bear event' I'd either buy or trade both of 'em for a SRH in .454 Casull, then have it bobbed to about 5" and the front sight base (or a better one) remounted.
Old July 8, 2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Tommy Vercetti

take them both
Old July 8, 2007, 05:27 PM   #7
pumpkinheaver

I would use the Blackhawk with some heavy bullet loads. I would also practice shooting fast with the single action and practice reloading it too.
Old July 8, 2007, 08:06 PM   #8
Death from Afar

.25ACP back up gun?
Old July 8, 2007, 08:12 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

What Art says. Bigger is better.
Old July 8, 2007, 11:04 PM   #10
banditt007

whatever your choice i highly suggest hard cast bullets at the heaviest grain you can get. i wouldnt suggest hollow points. you need deep penetration and dont want the bullet breaking up when hitting heavy bone. this is where hardcast heavy bullets shine.
Old July 8, 2007, 11:11 PM   #11
jrothWA

Talked with Sierra tech's..

for what to use in my .357.
They for black bear recommend the Sierra 180gr FMJ at maximum velocity or the Federal .357 load #P357J.

I was using Federal 158gr SPJ but now reconsidering as I'm doing a number of hikes the the Cascades, where black bear abound.
Hope this helps.
Old July 8, 2007, 11:38 PM   #12
FirstFreedom

The best bear pistol is one that shoots pepper spray. But if you carry a handgun backup to the bear spray for good measure, I'd run with .44 mag minimim - if you need it, you need the threat stopped quickly, if possible.
Old July 9, 2007, 10:22 AM   #13
davlandrum

I have yet to have a black bear do anything other than haul a** directly away from me (knock on wood). I am more nervous about mountain lions anymore. I know three guys that have been stalked by them while they were bowhunting. 2 of the guys killed them with thier bows. The other guy "got big" and walked toward it yelling. It ran off, and the guy headed back for camp - watching his 6 the whole way.

Nothing like being down in a canyon, covered in elk blood, in the dark, to make you start feeling like cougar chum
Old July 20, 2007, 01:51 AM   #14
viper5243

Having lived and been fishing in Alaska for a couple years now i would say the .45 LC. you can get rounds for them that are more then a .44 mag, if your gun can handle them.

You shouldent have a problem with black bears, brown are another story. black bears you can scare off by making yourself as big as possible. I personally carry a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 with 300 Gr hand loads. JIC i have Yogie trying to get between me and my hard earned Salmon

I dont care for the bear spray but thats the #1 selling item at Sportsman's Warehouse and REI in the spring and summer months up here.
Old July 20, 2007, 11:49 AM   #15
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Having lived and been fishing in Alaska for a couple years now i would say the .45 LC. you can get rounds for them that are more then a .44 mag, if your gun can handle them.
Even if your .45 LC can't handle them, there's a solution. Try Buffalo Bore's Standard Pressure Heavy .45 Colt (That's exactly as labeled on the box).

These rounds are well within SAAMI specs. and spit out either a solid lead, 255 grain gas checked bullet at 1000 fps, or a 200 grain Speer G.D. at 1100 fps, your choice. I prefer the 255 grainer. Recoil is noticeably greater than standard cowboy action loads, but less than the .44 mag.

Buffalo Bore guarantees that this ammo is safe for any .45 LC that's in decent shape. I've put bunches of 'em through my S&W mod. 25-3 with no problems at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buffalo Bore Ammo.jpg (38.0 KB, 4202 views)

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 20, 2007, 01:03 PM   #16
Wildalaska

I carry on those rare occasions that I get to go anywhere, Bear Spray and either a 44 or a 45 auto or a 9mm, what ever is in the glove box

I dont fish the road system anymore here...too many tourists, although I will fish one place thats close to home. For that 9mm.

I do have one little spot I fish down the Kenai which is usually deserted. There I bring shotgun.

WildsceeredofbeersAlaska
Old July 21, 2007, 11:21 PM   #17
Fat White Boy

The most important thing to remember is- You don't have to outrun the bear. You only have to outrun the guy fishing with you...
Old August 8, 2007, 04:58 PM   #18
KEN K

A number of year ago I went to Alaska to fish for king salmon. Had a great trip but after fishing was over I was in a local tavern and this guy that looked like Grizly Adams asked if I had carried a pistol while fishing. I told him I had a S&W 41 mag. and he said that if you use a pistol for bear you need to file the front sight off. When I asked him why he said so it wont hurt so bad when the bear takes it away from you and shoves it up your butt. True story.
Old August 8, 2007, 05:05 PM   #19
Wildalaska

We tell that to all the toorists

WildevenmywifetellsitinbrokenengrishAlaska TM