The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 26, 2002, 01:24 PM   #1
tone

complete disassembly of Colt 1908 .25

I would like to clean this gun completely, but don't have much experience pulling pins and such. Should I attempt it, or take it to a smith.
Old June 27, 2002, 08:17 AM   #2
johnwill

The answer to this is going to depend on your mechanical dexterity. I'm not a gunsmith, but I collect pocket pistols. I've detail stripped several hundred small pistols, and managed to get them back together again, though some of them were considerably more troublesome than others. I recommend you have the assembly/disassembly instructions on hand before starting the task, sometimes there is a "trick" that will save you considerable time, and it's nice when someone else figures it out with hours of their time, instead of yours.

One technique I've used it to strip it down to where doubts start to creep in, then hose it down with Gun Scrubber, lube it well, and call it good. This has only been necessary with a couple of pistols, but it does happen.

Finally, one area that you shouldn't chintz in is tools! If you're going to be pounding pins out and the like, you need a good set of pin punches in both steel and brass. To avoid buggered up screws, you also need a proper set of gunsmith screwdrivers, I have the Brownells master set, and I picked up the extra thin blades in addition.

You're probably getting the idea that it's somewhat expensive to really be equipped to do this job, and you're right, especially if it's just one gun!
Old June 27, 2002, 09:06 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

If the gun is in good shape, it is best to only field strip and use a spray cleaner to do the rest of the job, as Johnwill suggests. It is very easy on those guns to scratch or mar a finish when trying to detail strip it.

Jim
Old June 28, 2002, 04:31 PM   #4
gagunner

i think johnwill's advice is best but if you just want the info, try www.coltautos.com/1908vpdi.htm they got take down & parts info on a whole bunch of old colts. i've got one old 25 from 1918 put away. i've taken apart a 1903/1908 pocket in 380 and it was a pain.didn't think i could do anything but sell it for parts but finally got it together.anyway lol if you try. hope the info helps