The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2014, 10:06 PM   #1
souther33

Cleaning method

I believe I found a better way of cleaning the dust off of my brass from the media after tumbling. Just want to see what you fellows think
After tumbling I gather the cases and put them in soapy water and wash them around. Then I place the brass after drying the outside in the oven for 30 mins at 200

Does anyone see a problem with this method
Old October 9, 2014, 10:47 AM   #2
mikld

I don't see anything wrong with your process. I wouldn't go through that extra work because I don't have a dust problem. Several ways to combat dust on yer brass and I use just enough auto polish to eliminate dust and increase shine (the only brass I want a good shine is my 30-06 and 45 ACP brass. My Garand and 1911 flings brass hither and yon and finding shiny brass is easier in the dirt/rocks/stuff where I shoot)
Old October 9, 2014, 10:54 AM   #3
mehavey

A "warm" oven (170) is fine. (how do you think I dry out my BPCR cases after washing ? )

That said, put a cut-up static-free dryer sheet (or two) in the tumbler mix and the dust will go away.
(Better yet, add a tablespoon of mineral spirits to the tumbler/media, run empty for 10 minutes to distribute it,
then dump dryer sheets and brass into the mix.)

Voilla !

Last edited by mehavey; October 9, 2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old October 9, 2014, 10:58 AM   #4
madmo44mag

To reduce dust in media cut up a dryer sheet and place in the tumbler with your brass.

mehavey - you and I were typing at the same time -
Old October 9, 2014, 02:36 PM   #5
condor bravo

This is a reply I just inserted into a somewhat similar post that covers both polishing media and dust accumulation.

The combination of lizard litter and Nu-Car auto polish does a good job. Go to a pet supply store and get a five or ten pound bag of Zilla (or similar) brand of lizard litter ground walnut shells, and from an auto supply store look for the orange plastic container of Nu-Car auto polish. Fill the tumbler bowl at least three-quarters full with the walnut media and, with the tumbler running, pour “some” (like several capfulls) into the media. The polish will clump with the media so break up the clumps (with the fingers by a hand inserted into the mix with the tumbler still running) before adding the cases. Periodically add additional polish after several tumbling sessions. As pointed out in another post or two, if desired a sheet of fabric softener can be cut into strips and added to help pick up the dust that accumulates. Discard the used strips after each session and add more next time if it seems worth while. I tumble 95% rifle cases and seldom run over an hour, an hour and a half at the most. This removes any residue and applies the desired shine.