The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 1, 2014, 08:40 AM   #1
hlds54

1911 Magazine issues

Several days ago my dad was qualifying with his personal 1911 ( he's a LEO), he was using CMC power 10 mags. During the course of fire, while reloading, he had issues with several empty magazines not releasing. I saw him last night and handled his 1911 and the magazine, trying to replicate the issue. I took the unloaded firearm and inserted an unloaded CMC mag, then I pulled the slide to the rear til it locked open. I would then depress the mag release button, grip the base of the magazine and attempt to pull the magazine out, it was very difficult to remove and required a great deal of force to pull out. I then proceeded to load the magazine with one .45 ACP snapcap and insert it into the gun while the slide was locked back, then gripping the rear of the slide to relase it and chamber a round, but when doing so, the slide would not release. I am confident that this is a magazine issue and not the gun. We've used other brands/types of magazines in it before and had not issues. Has anyone ever had this issue with CMC mags, or any other mags for that fact?
Old June 1, 2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Oruglock

Have you tried a different magazine in the same gun since the CMC magazine issue?

If so and no problems, I'd return the CMC magazines. I assume they're new and have not been used in this gun with no issues before.

The magazine should drop free when the release button is pressed, you shouldn't ever have to pull it out with your fingers.
Old June 1, 2014, 08:58 AM   #3
SauerGrapes

I've had some issues with them. I think it's the design of the followers. They will get hung up from time to time.
Tripp or Wilsons are probably a better option.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old June 1, 2014, 09:00 AM   #4
g.willikers

I could be the slot in the side of the mag for the release isn't correct, either in size or position.
Does it still do this if the slide is in battery, rather than locked open?
If not, it could be do to some irregularity between the slide release and the mag follower.
Either way, if none of this happens with other mags, the cure is obvious.
Mags are cheap to replace.
Just pitch that one.
Or, as a friend does with errant mags, take a hammer to it to avoid the temptation of keeping it and possibly using it again.
So far he hasn't carried the practice over to his guns.
Old June 1, 2014, 01:35 PM   #5
RickB

Your issue sounds like a combination of problems that I've never heard of, before.
When you have to drag the magazine out of the well, it's usually because the follower has slipped past the slide stop, or if at slidelock, the top round is partially fed from the mag.
No difficulty in locking the mag in the gun, but diffulty pulling it out?
Same problem, suddenly, with more than one mag of the same type certainly sounds like a "gun problem".
An issue that I have had, with all of the half-dozen Power-10s I have, is the top of the mag splaying open slightly, causing enough drag that the mag won't eject cleanly, but it's not difficult to pull it out.

Quote:
I then proceeded to load the magazine with one .45 ACP snapcap and insert it into the gun while the slide was locked back, then gripping the rear of the slide to relase it and chamber a round, but when doing so, the slide would not release. I am confident that this is a magazine issue and not the gun
You can easily load a round in the mag, but releasing the slide won't feed that round?
Old June 1, 2014, 03:14 PM   #6
motorep

I'd bet it's the followers. When the last round strips off, the follower can move forward as well. I don't know that there's a fix, maybe extra strength mag springs. I use Tripp Cobra mags, with zero problems.
Old June 1, 2014, 03:44 PM   #7
BigJimP

I'd put a big X on the side of the mag that was misbehaving....and go to a different mag...( I prefer Wilson ETM mags )...on all of my 1911's ...Kimber, Baer, Ed Brown and Wilson Combat....in .45 acp and 9mm....
Old June 1, 2014, 05:53 PM   #8
Jim567

I have twelve of that brand 1911 mags in stainless and carbon steel.
No issues in any of them in two Springfield's and one Colt
Old June 1, 2014, 11:13 PM   #9
Rob228

He hasn't changed the grips recently has he? Over tightened grip screws or ones that are too long can protrude into the mag well.
Old June 3, 2014, 05:59 PM   #10
hlds54

no, haven't tried any other mags in it since this issue. The mags we had been using prior to the CMC were Wilson and Kimber and we had no issues.
Old June 3, 2014, 07:50 PM   #11
qwiksdraw

Quote:
motorep: I'd bet it's the followers. When the last round strips off, the follower can move forward as well. I don't know that there's a fix, maybe extra strength mag springs.
A few months ago I contacted CMC about the mag followers moving forward and the person who replied stated the followers are designed to move forward. If the mags continue to be a problem I will probably get a rebuild kit, like the one from Tripp.
Old June 3, 2014, 07:59 PM   #12
BombthePeasants

I know exactly what causes this, the magazines were improperly heat treated. Your only course of action would be to contact the manufacturer and have them swap you some good magazines. I had this very issue occur with a Checkmate magazine that I had bought; I contacted Checkmate and they told me to send it to them and they replaced it promptly. I have been a huge fan of them ever since, and all 4 of my subsequent magazines of theirs have been flawless, including 2 10 rounders.
Old June 3, 2014, 09:25 PM   #13
KyJim

Perhaps it is improper heat treating -- that's a new one on me. I will add that I think the follower design of the Chip McCormick 10 round mags suck, if they are what are known as "devel" followers. I think they are from the photos and videos I found online.
Old June 4, 2014, 10:46 AM   #14
RickB

The Devel/McCormick follower is itself a spring. Part of the trick of fitting eight rounds into a 7-round tube involves using a WEAKER spring and a trick follower. The two "legs" of the Devel follower are compressed together when you load the full mag into the gun. I got some mags with improperly tempered followers - 10+ years ago - and the angle between the legs got narrower over time, adversely affecting function. McCormick sent me new followers, and no further issues.
Old June 4, 2014, 01:47 PM   #15
WESHOOT2

8-rd perfection: Mag-Pack

I absolutely refuse to use 10-rd magazines in my 45 ACP 191s.

I've witnessed them fail all too often.
Old June 4, 2014, 05:57 PM   #16
Brian48

Quote:
I absolutely refuse to use 10-rd magazines in my 45 ACP 191s.

I've witnessed them fail all too often.
+1.
Old June 4, 2014, 06:50 PM   #17
RickB

I used a half-dozen 10-round mags, almost every weekend for ten years (40,000+ rounds), and while I can't claim "no issues", they ran about as reliably as any other mags I've used.
As far as feed and lock-back reliability are concerned, they were as reliable as any 7- or 8-round mags, but I did have some issues with the tubes that I've never had with any other mags, regardless of gun, caliber, or capacity. I've never seen the problem reported elsewhere, so I think my tubes must be "special".
I don't use those mags much, anymore, but I'd load them up today, if I thought I needed more than eight rounds.

Tags
1911 , 45 acp , magazine