The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 24, 2013, 12:26 AM   #1
Sergeantsevensixtwo

1911 for lefties

I finally got my first 1911. Colt series 80. I got it with the intent of making no major mods to it, but after a while I've realized that not having the safety on the right side is really annoying. Not a deal breaker, but I want to know if anyone knows if I can get an ambi safety installed and have the unused left side removed?
Old December 24, 2013, 01:22 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are several makers of ambi-safeties for the 1911, and most provide very good installation instructions that allow any reasonably careful person to install the product. Basically, the shaft of the safety is jointed; the left side is installed and fitted normally, then the right side is installed and its shaft mated to the right side shaft. The right end is retained by the right grip, which has to be cut away on the inside to allow the safety to move while keeping the right end in place.

Jim
Old December 24, 2013, 12:42 PM   #3
RickB

That's a good description of the classic ambi designed by Armand Swenson and subsequently copied by just about everyone else. In the last five years, a lot of new ambis have come out with varying retention systems. A few designs use an extended hammer pin to lock the two halves together, while some others utilize what should be a stronger connection than the traditional tongue/groove, by locking the off-side lever with a cross-pin.
I have installed six or eight ambis, and it can vary from a few minutes with a small file, to an hour of tweaking and fiddling; the safety function is actually pretty easy, but getting a good feel, smooth movement with a distinct "stop" when the safety is off, good fit of the plunger, can take some work.
Old December 24, 2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Quote:
if I can get an ambi safety installed and have the unused left side removed?
No.
Well, you could reduce the lever to a nubbin as a southpaw here did, or remove it completely, but the plate has to be there because it carries the stud that locks the sear.
Old December 25, 2013, 01:42 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

Cabot....

Cabot markets a full left handed 1911a1 series .45acp. The custom pistol is rather pricey.

You can buy a high end 1911a1 model with a few ambi features.
Smith & Alexander(S&A) used to market a ambi-mag release. It sold for many years but was cut for some unknown reason.
I'm left handed & may buy a 1911a1 GI type pistol to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the US Army Military Police(09/26/2016).
It's a ways off but Id want to get it customized.

Clyde
Old December 25, 2013, 10:10 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I like the Mencke (sp) ambidextrous safety. It's the same one Colt uses when they offered ambidextrous 1911s. Anyway, their advantage is that the grips don't need to be modified to keep the left handed side of the safety in. Instead, one of the grip pins has a milled slot that mates with a recessed part of the safety and that keeps in from working itself out. I get mine from Brownell's.

ClydeFrog - I wasn't aware of Cabot southpaws; nor can I afford one.
Old December 25, 2013, 10:12 AM   #7
tomrkba

Keep it ambi so you can operate it with your alterate killing hand.

Tags
1911 , gunsmithing , left handed , modifications