The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 12, 2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Boberama

What do you think of my carry knife?

1980s vintage Puma 270 folder, 3.75 inch clip-point blade, stainless.

Is this an adequate one? It's sort of small...

Just the other night I was carrying a WWII Kukri around but it was too large to easily conceal with the sheath it came in, and I believe that I could have gotten in trouble (I live in the suburbs and they don't like anything larger than a swiss army knife)...

so I bought this for 15 dollars at the swap and shop.

Is it OK or is it inadequate?

-Boberama (I like it rough)
Old May 13, 2011, 06:34 AM   #2
griz

"adequate" sort of begs the question "adequate for what"?

Anyway, for me, a folder with an almost 4 inch blade is about as big as I would ever carry or need in my non-tactical life. The Puma is a quality knife and it sounds like you got a very good deal.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Boberama

Adequate for defense.

I don't know what you mean by tactical. I'm no SWAT operator.

I was thinking I might upgrade to something in the 4.75-5 inch range but there aren't many folders with blades that large.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Drummer101

remember to check local laws. It is different state to state.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Boberama

British Columbia.

There are no laws on size etc. But one could get in trouble anyways at a cops discretion. And people here are alarmed by knives.

But there are Bloods here in town. Three people were stabbed in the same area recently. Also gang members carry ASPs, knives, bike chains, and ESPECIALLY bear/pepper spray is most popular in robberies and kidnappings.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:14 PM   #6
guitars and guns

Quote:
British Columbia.

There are no laws on size etc. But one could get in trouble anyways at a cops discretion. And people here are alarmed by knives.

But there are Bloods here in town. Three people were stabbed in the same area recently. Also gang members carry ASPs, knives, bike chains, and ESPECIALLY bear/pepper spray is most popular in robberies and kidnappings.
Sounds to me like a firearm would be more "adequate".
Old May 13, 2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Boberama

Seeing as it's illegal to even OWN a firearm for self-defense purposes here, I don't see how that's possible.

Of course, it's also generally considered illegal to carry a knife for defense, too. But the wording is ambiguous.

Canada

Certain knives are designated as 'prohibited weapons' pursuant to the Criminal Code of Canada. Section 84(1) defines such knives as "a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife". By law, only those who have been granted exemption by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police via the Canadian Firearms Program are allowed to possess (but not acquire) prohibited weapons.

If one is found to be in unauthorized possession of prohibited weapon by any law enforcement officer, he or she is liable to maximum of 5 years in jail and the weapon being seized. The peace officer can then apply to a provincial court judge for the said weapon to be forfeited and be disposed as he or she sees fit. The import and export of such devices are also strictly regulated and enforced by the Canada Border Services Agency.

^I guess the Kukri would be OK after all. Technically. But you'd be arrested anyhow.

Examples of such knives include:

automatic knives such as
centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;
gravity knives;
Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife)
finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
push daggers;
spiked wristbands;
Blade length does not matter.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:58 PM   #8
Dave Cole

Well personnally as a knifemaker, I don't think any folders are great SD performers, I would always opt for a fixed blade and looking at your laws that you posted you would be better off.Here in Florida open carry is legal as well as concealed if you have a CCW.I open carry a fixed blade everyday and have for 20 years.And if your counting on a knife for SD, quit buying cheap junk knives and get something decent.If your life is on the line do you really want to count on a $15.00 knife.Dave
Old May 14, 2011, 05:31 PM   #9
Boberama

I like the convenience of the folder. I went to the swap 'n' shop today, go there many Saturdays, and picked up a Sykes-Fairbairn and sheath.

I guess I have my new carry knife. I can shave with it!
Old May 14, 2011, 05:34 PM   #10
Boberama

I think it's a second-pattern version. Blade 7.5 inches.