The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2008, 09:31 PM   #1
jon737

Rem 6mm bullet question

I just bought some .243 cal remington PSPCL bullets for my 6mmRem to reload with. I seated the bullet to the cannelure and now it exceeds the max overall length. Whats up with this?

Thanks
Old March 19, 2008, 11:42 PM   #2
Scorch

The location of the cannelure in a bullet has nothing to do with maximum overall cartridge length. Just because there is a cannelure there, it doesn't indicate a "load to here" instruction.
Old March 20, 2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Alleykat

You'll only use the cannelure, if you intend to roll crimp.
Old March 20, 2008, 09:16 AM   #4
2sigs

What your saying is that you have seated the Remington bullet to the point that it's crimp groove is correctly just inside the edge of the case mouth and the overall length of the cartridge is now longer than the suggested C.O.A.L. or C.O.L. is this correct?

I would ask where you found the C.O.L. for the Remington bullet as I load their bulk bullets also for different calibers but have never found a Suggested col for them.

The main concern would be or is does the cartridge loaded the way you have loaded it fit in your magazine or function in the weapon it's intended for?

If yes it functions and DOES NOT jam into rifling lands than you should be alright I would think.

However I can not see the situation from here nor am I offering a warranty on my info provided so in short your on your own and read the safety portion of and follow the reloading manuals

-2sigs

Edited to add:
I often wonder about the Remington bulk I buy sometimes, why did they sell it?? maybe it does not meet their(remington) QC requirements??? Crimp location wrong??? etc.

I do think that the 100 packs of .357 .44 .45 etc. that I have bought from Cabelas is probably quality Remington stands behind as their name is on the bag.
But when I buy .223 in bulk 500-1000-5000 it's a plastic bag they arrive in. I have noticed after loading a few hundred say at one sitting that not all the crimp grooves are in the same position as the others. The 223 cases are trimmed so the groove should be the same position. I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe the groove is not in the right place.???? I don't care though as I buy them to feed my Evil Black Rifles and I crimp with a LEE FCD

Last edited by 2sigs; March 20, 2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: more thinking