The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 11, 2000, 08:59 PM   #1
curious

I have had cycling or racking problems with Sellier & Bellot buck shot. I actually have to tip my moss 500a to the left (I am right handed) so it won't jam when I am working the action. American stuff is fine. Anybody else have this problem or have a cure. I am at the point of using what I have left and not buying any more.

thanks
curious
Old June 12, 2000, 05:30 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The fix, of course, is to only use USA made ammo. Some ammo is made on the loose side of the tolerances, some not. Every once in a while I'll run across a shotgun that FTF's with just one brand of ammo,and not with others.

One thing, how old is that 500? Some new stuff must be broken in, and some older shotguns have crud buildup in odd places. Try a good cleaning and lube job, see if it helps....
Old June 12, 2000, 09:28 AM   #3
hagar

I have had problems with their "clear buck" in my Mossberg 9200 semi-auto. Shoots the S&B #7 loads fine, but the buckshot loads jam almost every time. Coould never figure out why.

------------------
I don't have time for busy people
Old June 12, 2000, 10:14 AM   #4
Jeff, CA

Are either of those 2 guns chambered for 2 3/4" only? 2 3/4" S&B buckshot loads are actually about 2 7/8" long.

Old June 12, 2000, 11:40 AM   #5
Daniel Watters

Jeff: Shotshell length is measured from the fired length not crimped length. Thus, the roll crimped S&B tend to be longer than the star-crimped hulls of other brands...both unfold to 2-3/4". This also how folks sometimes accidentally chamber 3" shells in a 2-3/4" chamber.

To give an example, my Federal H132 (9 pellet OO Buck) measures 2.344". A S&B 12 pellet OO Buck measures 2.568". Yet both are marked 2-3/4". As a comparison, a Winchester Super-X 3" 1oz. Slug measures 2.558"!

BTW: The S&B 12 pellet 00 Buck functions flawlessly in my Beretta 1201FP3. It smells weird though, probably due to the fiber wadding.
Old June 12, 2000, 04:41 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've heard S&B gets the nitrates for the gunpowder from,uh, recent organic sources. This would account for the smell. Old pre WWII shells had a similiar aroma.
Old June 12, 2000, 06:59 PM   #7
actionshooter

The S&B buck works great in my M1 S90. It also patterns very well. The only problem I have is that I loose 1 round in the tube because they are longer.
Old June 12, 2000, 07:12 PM   #8
Jeff, CA

I did not know that about shotgun rounds. Truthfully, I just held an unfired S&B up next to a Federal to compare length.

As an aside, a fraternity brother of mine had an old 16-gauge Auto-5 chambered for 2 9/16" or something. He had to open the crimps on 2 3/4" shells, trim off 3/16" with an exacto knife, fold the crimp back down and drip candle wax on it. Worked pretty well.

Old June 12, 2000, 09:14 PM   #9
curious

the guns about a year and a half. Its had atleast 500 rounds thru it and I completely clean (tear it down) every time I use it. Anything is possible but I think it just doesn't like these clear S&B buckshot shells. They do pattern well. The gun is for hd, so if I can't trust the shells to feed correctly I will have to forget about them.
thanks for the info
curious
Old June 13, 2000, 12:03 AM   #10
taco

I fired about 200 rounds of that clear hull buckshot in last 2 years and they function perfectly in my Rem 870 and Chinese 870 copy.
Old June 13, 2000, 05:18 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Everybody probably knows this,but.....

Reliability is an essential. Before one dedicates am arm to defense, one should and must ensure that the weapon and ammo are compatible,effective and reliable.

With shotguns, this means that one should fire maybeso 100 rounds or more of ammo of choice w/o ANY glitches before betting the lives of you and family on it.New shotguns, double that, at least.

Some shotguns are reputable for dependability, like the Auto-5,870, 97,37 and 12. Even with these, a break in period and use should precede assignment to HD status.

Now this doesn't mean you have to go out and punish yourself firing off all 100 rounds of 3 inch,15 pellet 00 today. Maybe over the course of a coupla weekends, interspersed with clays or whatever and practice ammo.And, for that matter, one doesn't need 15 pellet 00 to work. Use some sense instead of having to reach for the anti-inflammatories.