The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 20, 2018, 01:56 PM   #1
fsmitka

Ruger and S/W parts availability.

I have circa 1960-1 Smith model 10 and a circa 1985 Ruger Service Six in 38 special. My understanding is that Ruger will not service nor provide new parts for the Six, I am not sure if S/W still services an old Model 10 or even keeps spare parts. My question is which of these revolvers would be easier to find parts for and/ or service if the manufacturer will no longer repair them or send out parts?
Old September 20, 2018, 04:27 PM   #2
lamarw

What parts are you searching for?

I think most gunsmiths would find it very easy to locate parts and perform work at least on the S&W's. A S&W manufactured in 1960 - 61 is a rather early Model 10 no dash, 10-1, 10-2 or 10-3. Most will share most parts and even some from Pre-Model 10's. They will also share many parts from later Model 10's. The Model 10-1 change was to a heavy barrel, and both were produced at the same time. The -2 & -3 changed in which way the extractor rod screwed in from right hand to left hand thread.

It is most likely the same for the Ruger as far as durability, availability of parts and smith's who will work on them.

There should be parts available from Brownells, eBay, GunBroker and internet search will provide additional sources and even parts guns.

Most of the revolvers are still working fine with no need of parts since they were manufactured over 50 years ago.
Old September 20, 2018, 05:42 PM   #3
fsmitka

not looking for anything at the moment just trying to be proactive: I carry and shoot both, down the road if I decide that I can only keep one, which revolver would be easier to service keeping in mind that I don't have the luxury of sending them in to the manufacturer. ( the Smith is a dash 3)
Old September 20, 2018, 06:47 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

Smith, by far.
But- get some spare parts NOW!
New parts are still available for older Smiths, but they're drying up.
DO NOT WAIT!

Ruger parts have never been as plentiful, the factory wouldn't release many of their DA revolver parts to the public, and the SS DAs were not in production to the same volume or longevity of the Smith.
Denis
Old September 20, 2018, 09:55 PM   #5
lamarw

I am appreciative of proactive measures. At the same time, I am not sure of what parts would be called for in being proactive for these two revolvers.

I do own 9 Pre and/or Model 10's. The only thing I have for parts is a couple of sets of K Frame Magna stocks, one hammer, a side plate and a few screws. I have those more by accident than from planning.
Old September 20, 2018, 11:33 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

Mainspring, firing pin, firing pin rivet, hammer, trigger, cylinder stop, rebound spring, hand, DA sear.
Denis
Old September 21, 2018, 06:06 AM   #7
PzGren

I am shooting S&W revolvers since more than three decades and ran into most problems with them when I bought a used gun, those often needed adjustments but usually ran well afterwards.

The typical problems that developed in my guns, were end shake from heavy use and wear on hands and both issues are easily fixed.

I am a bit excessive in my hobby and not only have a lot more guns than I need, I also have a lot of parts to tinker around with them and all of my pre-MIM S&W revolvers have had a trigger job that exceeded a spring change and included careful polishing of the contact surfaces.

Despite well stocked spare parts boxes for all my guns, I will still miss something once in a while.

Old September 21, 2018, 10:00 AM   #8
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris
Smith, by far.
+1. It's one of (but not the only one) the reasons why S&W's now dominate in competitions where revolvers are used.
Old September 21, 2018, 11:24 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...wouldn't release many of their DA revolver parts..." Ruger doesn't sell parts for any of their stuff to anybody. Lot of 'em are factory replacement/installation only.
A Smith M10 is just a 'K' frame. Gunparts will have most of the parts. They list most of the parts for a Police Service Six too. Lotta revolver parts must be fitted by a smithy to though.
However, it's highly unlikely you'll ever need any parts for either revolver. Unless somebody attempts trigger job without knowing how and attacks with a file or rotary tool.
Old September 21, 2018, 01:03 PM   #10
fsmitka

Thanks for the spare parts list, that is something that I needed.
Old September 21, 2018, 01:46 PM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

Firing pins can break, springs can weaken, hammers & triggers can wear out or break, and so on.
Most guns will run for a helluva long time if quality to begin with and well-maintained.
But- ask a gunsmith who's been in the biz for a long time what percentage of his business is repairs.

Things break, things wear out.
Guns are no different.

I have key spare parts for Smith & Rugers, and a couple rifles.
As you note with the Security-Six family, these things are not going to be in production forever.

The K-frame's already gone to a different firing pin & the company doesn't support the older hammers.

And Numrich may or may not have a workable part for you if you need one.
Denis
Old September 21, 2018, 02:21 PM   #12
fsmitka

Gun manufacturers want you to buy new guns but I don't like locks drilled into the side plate of my revolvers and a brand new SP101 isn't cheap. I was lucky to pick up a nice Model 10 earlier this year for $285 OTD. That's consider a steal in the state I live in for a pre-lock.
Old September 21, 2018, 02:35 PM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

It would be here, too.
I have typically more than one example of guns I like or consider important, so I not only have backup parts, I have backup guns too.

For those of us older people who grew up with older quality & watched a general progressive decline, keeping the older stuff going is highly desirable.
We're not interested in Latest & Cheapest.
Denis
Old September 24, 2018, 12:52 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
My question is which of these revolvers would be easier to find parts for and/ or service if the manufacturer will no longer repair them or send out parts?
the K frame S&W has been in production much longer and in larger numbers than the Ruger.

I would suggest the best way to get and keep spare parts is get another gun.

Sure, get some spares for springs firing pin and such, but if you can, get another copy of the gun you like. Especially if you can find a deal. And, if you never need the parts, or the spare gun, you an sell it easier than selling a few unused parts.
Old September 24, 2018, 05:51 PM   #15
fsmitka

Having two guns , one of them for parts is a good idea. The question in my mind is which one will drop the first part, the Ruger or the Smith?
Old September 27, 2018, 11:21 AM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

There is another reason to have a "backup copy" of your favorite gun, other than just for spare parts.

If you ever do use your gun in a defense shooting, the police WILL take it. (It's evidence). When all the legal proceedings are over with, you can get your gun back. This might be a matter of a few days, or weeks, or it could even be months or possibly even years depending on the exact situation.

So, having a back up, same make, model & caliber means you will still have your "favorite" available, and won't have to learn/retrain on a different gun, until you get the seized one back...
Old September 27, 2018, 03:08 PM   #17
DPris
Member Emeritus

That's one reason I have dupes of key guns.
Denis
Old September 29, 2018, 09:37 AM   #18
buck460XVR

I have a coupla guns that are hard to find parts for. A Model 1897 Winchester shotgun and an original Ruger .44 mag carbine. While I shoot both from time to time, it's not often. I actually hunt turkeys with the '97 a coupla days each year. When the time comes when there are no parts for either they will be delegated to the wall, since both have deep sentimental value to me. I have already replaced them with firearms of a more recent manufacture, that work just as well, if not better for what I want. As for my revolvers, if and when they break and parts are no longer available, I have no problem replacing them with newer manufacture models, that also will work just as well if not better. No different than my motorcycles and my cars/trucks. Just what happens when you use stuff. In my experience, the initial cost of a firearm is amortized over the number of rounds put downrange with it and they all have a finite lifespan. While some firearms have more intrinsic and esthetic value than others, new firearms generally out-shoot older firearms. Nuttin' last forever, it is what it is.
Old September 29, 2018, 10:52 AM   #19
DPris
Member Emeritus

At my gunsmith yesterday, saw a consignment gun he'd just taken in.
Unfired 6-inch Smith 28-2 .357 Mag from the 70s.

A REAL Model 28, not what S&W's putting out today.
I WOULD have a problem replacing my older Smiths with current production, because the current Smith revolvers are simply not the same guns.

Gunsmith & I did a few sad choruses of "They ain't what they used to was", and we got on with the main business of the Colt Peacemaker I was there for.
Also getting harder to find those, with Colt dribbling them out. And Colt isn't making those guns to the quality levels of my Peacemakers that have gone through aftermarket hands.
I would have a problem with replacing those Colts with current production.

Some guns you just want to keep going, and some guns you want to pass down (with spare parts) to another generation.
Going by the deterioration in the current firearms industry in general, that'll be the only way anybody will even have a clue of what true quality is (or was) in 25 years.
Denis