The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 11, 2018, 08:22 PM   #1
Roamin_Wade

What is important to you? YES, YOU!!!

Ok, so we have a plethora of firearms to choose from these days. Even if it is just one model, you have to decide if you’d like it with plastic stock and matte bluing, standard wood stock with matte bluing or the high end rifle with gloss bluing and fine Walnut stocks dressed out with elaborate embellishments. What is your fancy. I know that the 870 Remington comes with all three of the choices but that drive me cuckoo with coco-puffs. I always want the high end gun. There is nothing intrinsic about handing down a plastic stocked gun. It won’t be worth any more because of it being a plastic stocked Guns. How do you like them?
Old September 11, 2018, 08:28 PM   #2
reynolds357

I have safe queens to hand down and utilitarian tack drivers to shoot. I never try to mix the two.
Old September 11, 2018, 08:40 PM   #3
5whiskey

My preference is for fine figured walnut stocks and deep gloss blueing or a really good parkerizing. For utility rifles synthetic stocks. Problem is my budget doesn't facilitate fine figured walnut...

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old September 11, 2018, 08:58 PM   #4
TXAZ

Performance and fun.
6.5 Creedmoor as a tack driver, .50BMG for unbridled fun.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 11, 2018, 09:42 PM   #5
Ben Dover

Parkerizing and synthetic stock/grips.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 11, 2018, 10:01 PM   #6
Mike38

High gloss mirrored finish blueing and exotic wood hand crafted stocks are nice to look at, they just aren't me. Likewise a Lamborghini looks nice, but there's nothing wrong with my Dodge Caliber.

A hole in the X ring doesn't care if it came from a $1k gun or a $10k gun. It's still a hole in the X ring.
Old September 12, 2018, 01:29 AM   #7
Pathfinder45

I am a man of limited budget and thus limited options. My so-called gun-collection is in the single digit range and has never been in the double-digit territory. It's all functional and utilitarian, with no safe-queens; "Safe? What safe?" And yet, I will not tolerate a plastic stocked rifle. I can just tolerate laminated wood, but let's face it, it's plywood. Walnut is the standard. On a revolver, I prefer grips that have a high contrast to the metal; dark-if-not-black grips on stainless or nickel; ivory-if-not-white on blued steel.
Price matters to me, and here's how I approach that problem: "Let's see,....I can have five brand new, budget-class rifles that everybody and their dog is buying,....or, for the same money, I can have one, and just one, classic, Walnut stocked Winchester, in a caliber that does it all; heck, maybe even a pre-'64,....Duh, what shall I do? Well, my name's not Imelda; I'll take the classic Winchester.
Old September 12, 2018, 04:55 AM   #8
Husqvarna

Both worlds

Started my collection with mostly Plastic fantastics
Evolve into fancy wood and ended up in the middle
Old September 12, 2018, 06:53 AM   #9
fourbore

I have no problem finding rifles that both look good, shoot good and handle well for the task at hand. My old Remington Model 7 is one. Kimber would be another. CZ 527. Winchester M70 and CZ550 mags for big bores.

I would rather have one good quality gun over a safe full of plastic. I dont have to sacrifice one for another. Now, synthetic & stainless may have some practical advantages. I do not need that, if I lived in a jungle type climate I might. If my gun gets wet, I dry and oil it.
Old September 12, 2018, 07:07 AM   #10
FITASC

I want mine to be accurate and reliable; aesthetics are secondary. (Although I do prefer walnut and blue steel)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 12, 2018, 07:55 AM   #11
sundog

1. Accuracy
2. Utility
3. Family heirlooms
Old September 12, 2018, 03:07 PM   #12
Charlie98

I prefer my revolvers with blue steel and wood grips... for looks, anyway; my revolvers slip into their work clothes when I go shooting... the Pachy rubber grips go on. My semiautos are a grab bag... I have stainless, blue, and plastic, but they each serve a different function. I am not a fancy guy, though... I like simplicity, I consider embellishment on a firearm much like I do the 'chrome package' on a pickup truck... pretty much worthless and I don't want it. I'm not even a big fan of checkering on rifle stocks, particularly the pressed in crap we see these days. I don't want the beautiful smooth blue of my rifle receivers all carved up with skwerrly engraving. I like stainless because it has a function, I don't like nickel plating.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old September 12, 2018, 04:11 PM   #13
Scorch

Although lately I have started to drift towards the rifles of the late 19th Century, I like mid-range cartridges (I prefer 7X57, but not exclusive of other cartridges), checkered walnut stocked rifles with blued steel. If all that comes in a Mauser 98 action, even better. Sure, plastic stocks and matte blued or coated steel are OK, I just have little use for them. ARs are the same, I own one, I use it occasionally, but have little use for it. If push comes to shove, I will have a Mauser 98 in 7X57 in my hands chasing after deer or elk.
Old September 12, 2018, 05:10 PM   #14
FindANewSlant

What matters to me is extensive aftermarket support and standardization. a Mossberg 500 12 gauge and a glock 19 are perfect examples.
Old September 12, 2018, 05:50 PM   #15
Nathan

We are lucky! There are precise synthetic stainless rifles built daily. Wood stocked rifles look great and often fit well enough to shoot well. So, pick what you want. My next one will be pretty!
Old September 13, 2018, 10:04 AM   #16
Tallest

When it's hanging on the wall I want walnut and bluing. When I'm in the field I want solid synthetic (preferable to really light plastic) and stainless.

Since being in the field is the overall purpose, I find myself putting my money where the practical things are. I'd love to get my hands on some NOS Ruger M77 All Weather with short action calibers or a .280Rem.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan

Last edited by Tallest; September 13, 2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old September 13, 2018, 11:08 AM   #17
Don Fischer

Ok. I want a new Purdy SxS with 21" barrels, Stainless and Hogue stock. Should be able to get it for around $20! :-)
Old September 13, 2018, 11:55 AM   #18
Dufus

Years ago, I invested in the Winchester M21s to be handed down to certain special people in my life. They only come one way, and it ain't plastic.
Old September 13, 2018, 12:18 PM   #19
T. O'Heir

"...a plethora of firearms..." Yep and commercial hunting rifles and shotguns are all pretty much the same thing. What they look like really makes no difference if they don't shoot well.
"...the 870 Remington comes with..." And it's still an 870. Only difference is the stock material and finish.
Old September 13, 2018, 02:52 PM   #20
Lohman446

These new MOA rifles will out shoot my capabilities by a lot and are beyond what I need for field accuracy. I own one in .243 Winchester. Lot of logical arguments to be made for it.

If I was to be forced to replace every rifle I owned it would be a with a .257 Ruger No 1. It used to be I wanted it in .375 H+H but I am finding I am less tolerant of big (or medium, whatever) bore recoil.

My shotguns would be replaced by a Citori - maybe even in 28 gauge and a Mariner in 12 gauge for home defense

I would keep a Glock 19 for concealed carry and a night time gun. In the past it would have been a G29 but I am less enamored with the 10MM than in days gone by.

And then, with four guns, I would feel well protected and be able to hunt any non dangerous game I wanted to in North America. I have no desire to hunt moose.
Old September 13, 2018, 03:19 PM   #21
Paul B.

Most of my customs have nice wood, and a couple have stocks by McMillan and H.S. Precision. All are based on Mauser actions except the Remington 660 in the H.S. Precision stock. The McMillan is on an FN Action 30-06 that originally had nice wood but it got broken in a fall. My prettiest rifle is an Argentine Mauser with action by DWM in .280 Remington. probably the fanciest stock I'll ever own but still not a piece of high dollar wood. The rifle gets hunted as do all my rifles.
If I could afford a David Miller or Darcy Echols high dollar custom with really fancy wood, I would still with it. When in comes down to it, it's a tool. A very pretty and expensive tool but nonetheless still a tool.
Paul B.
Old September 13, 2018, 04:57 PM   #22
Roamin_Wade

Man! I guess all of you can see what its like for me to make a post after I took my Ambien. It looks like all of you got the question even through my subterfuge. I like HIGHLY reflective and rich bluing along with nice looking wood. I don't like when they advertise that the gun has hardwood but not Maple. Not sure what that gun is made with but its like a blond wood with no wood grains running through it. Ruger 10-22's are like that. That's all I got time for right now. Talk more after work...
Old September 13, 2018, 05:20 PM   #23
Pathfinder45

I do not like a high-gloss finish on a rifle stock. But then, the only rifles that I find interesting are those that I would take hunting. So I like to see the wood, not a reflection from a super glossy finish.
Old September 13, 2018, 06:08 PM   #24
MarkCO

I have rifles, pistols and shotguns from utility to beautiful. I tend to gravitate more towards pretty pistols and shotguns than rifles. I want rifles that are the most accurate, and that is rarely blued and wood.
Old September 13, 2018, 06:08 PM   #25
Ballenxj

I like most guns, including the pretty ones, but I prefer function over form any day.
I for the most part don't like wall hangers, unless it is a piece of history. If you can't shoot em, and accurately, they ain't worth having. Unless of course you can sell them and get one's that are.