The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 7, 2013, 08:20 PM   #1
chewie146

Shifting Weapons

Well, it's no secret that there is an ammo shortage. Whether it's real or manufactured is the subject of a different post. I think I'm going to give the stick and string a go this year. I think I may even go old school and choose either the PSE Vector or the old Bear Kodiak. Anyone else thinking like me? It might even be fun! First up...squirrel. I will go shotgun for upland and migratory birds and turkey. Number 4s and below seem to be what I can find.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:52 PM   #2
rickyrick

I have a PSE but have never used it, thinking about breaking it out.

Fortunately in the first days of the panic, no one wanted the .223 hunting ammo so was able to secure some. Should have a two or three years worth of my various hunting bullets.

A guy scoffed when I picked up 160rds of varmint ammo at regular price. He said "that stuffs only good for varmints" and I replied "that's good because I'm a coyote hunter"
Old January 8, 2013, 12:48 AM   #3
HALL,AUSTIN

My thought exactly. It's getting really hard to find any .308 but arrows are in good supply. I'll tell you what. Those arrows sure are fun to shoot too.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:53 AM   #4
big al hunter

If you divide the cost of the arrow by how many times you shoot it, it is way less expensive than a 22 lr.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:36 AM   #5
kraigwy

I have a bow, a re-curve that belonged to my father. I can't hit the ground with it. I'd make one hungry Indian.

I did just buy a Muzzle loader rifle. Not sure it has anything to do with the current cost of ammo/components or not, Heck I went out yesterday and spend about $250 on stuff for this sucker and its hasn't been delivered yet.

I don't see how it can be cheaper to shoot then my other rifles (I shoot a of of cast bullets in my modern rifles anyway).

It's just something different. After I ordered it I got to thinking I might use it for deer hunting. We don't have a regular ML season so it wont extend any seasons. I just kind of go bored with deer hunting. After antelope and elk, deer just didn't seem exciting. I'm hoping a muzzle loader will change that.

But as to bows,,,,,,,,,,,,,I don't think so. Friggin deer would laugh their selves to death if they watched me try and shoot arrows at them.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 8, 2013, 10:25 AM   #6
chewie146

From my calculations, with factory ordered, pre-made ML components, it's around the same price as good .223 or moderate steel-cased 7.62x39 ammo. It's around $0.26 a round + whatever powder costs. I don't know the volumetric conversion for pyrodex, as the power is the same as black powder by volume, but Pyrodex isn't as dense, so it's not a true 80 (or whatever) grains by weight. Now, neither of those are considered expensive. Given that and the fact that there are no "large capacity ammunition feeding devices" for muzzle loaders, it sure slows down the rate of fire. Heck, after all the work to load it, you want to make sure that shot counts!

Keep in mind, I'm talking round balls and patches. If you're slinging sabots with pellets, you're on your own.

One thing that's good is that ML components aren't in as short supply as everything else has been. Midway's out of caps, but those are better to buy locally, as is powder, to save on shipping costs.

I'm thinking carbon arrows would be a good investment for my recurve this year. I may be shooting at more than 3-d targets, and the carbons can take a beating a bit better, from what I hear.

And hey, Kraigwy, dead is dead...even if it's from humor-induced asphyxiation!
Old January 8, 2013, 10:37 AM   #7
rickyrick

Thinking about getting a single shot in aw non scary caliber
Old January 8, 2013, 11:46 AM   #8
1tfl

As a reloader I have no problems securing ammo.
I also have couple of "hunting" calibers that are not prone to hoarding.
Even now I noticed .243 and 30-30 are always in stock at my local guns shop and Walmart.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:42 PM   #9
chewie146

Reloading ammo isn't my problem. I tend to use small primer calibers for some reason, and those are hard to come by right now. Large primers are not so bad. Of course I have about 3000 small pistol primers. Realistically, I have enough to hunt, but if the climate continues to get worse, I'd like to enjoy hunting without the ammo stress. It's amazing that even the lowly .22 is going, going, gone from most places. Chances are, my center-fire small game hunting will be with .38 this year, but that isn't legal for squirrels and birds here. I can do rabbit with it, though. Strangely, my .50 ML rifle is perfectly legal for bushy-tails and grouse, but my .38 isn't. Odd. What I need to do is find a bunch of large pocket .357, and then I'd be set.

Last edited by chewie146; January 8, 2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:01 PM   #10
L_Killkenny

Ya, when it comes to hunting, ammo isn't a problem. It's the plinkin and practice ammo that hurts. I'm currently in good shape with .22lr ammo, shotgun ammo and reloading supplies so I'm not too worried about burning ammo unnecessarily for fun. Give me a few months and I might be in "only use for hunting" mode too.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:04 PM   #11
ChasingWhitetail91

way ahead of you with my 16 ga. rickyrick. I used to think it was a non scary single shot, till a buddy of mine said and i quote "darn man, i didn't think it got any bigger then 12 ga" .... ignorance is bliss
Old January 8, 2013, 09:31 PM   #12
reynolds357

I have plenty of ammo to hunt for the rest of my life.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:37 PM   #13
HALL,AUSTIN

Kraig you need a sight is all. Heck they make crossbows.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:04 PM   #14
Panfisher

Much as I like shooting bows, especially my long gone 41# Black Widow, I would starve as a bowhunter. I'm not too bad a shot with it, at 40 yards I can reliably keep my arrows in MOB (minute of bale i.e. 6x6 big bale) So far I haven't had any problem buying bullets and reloading supplies but I haven't bought any primers or powder in the last few weeks, bullets aplenty but no bullets or powder, hmm maybe I better check my LGS.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:58 AM   #15
Saltydog235

I'm trying to sell a Matthews Switchback XL with Mongoose Release, fiber optic sight, rest, slick tricks, carbon express arrows, and a hard case right now. Anyone want to buy it? $600.00 for the entire rig.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:48 PM   #16
chewie146

Powder isn't really a problem either, from what I've seen. It's just those little ignition systems. I saw 1 box of 1000 going for 85 bucks on gunbroker for small rifle primers. Large rifle primers can be found, as can large pistol primers. I need to diversify my gun portfolio, I think. Get a 44 magnum for woods use so I can get those large primers in there.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:02 PM   #17
sc928porsche

I buy in bulk. Primers: 5000 at a time, when I get down to 1000, I get another 5000. I prefer my powders in 8#. Bullets are usually 1000 at a time. This has always helped me through the shortages.
Old January 13, 2013, 04:58 PM   #18
ElkSlayer6x5

tried to get 1000 primers yesterday shop has 200 limit but were ok for now
Old January 15, 2013, 03:18 AM   #19
bamaranger

huntin"

Bowhunting is about, well........hunting, and the satisfaction of some success with a weapon that imposes limits. In my area, it provides a bunch more opportunity to hunt as well, both in time and access to property. And less competition.

Bowhunt seriously for a bit and you will start to become a better hunter, or at least aware of your shortcomings. I went 3 yrs before I ever got a shot. (on deer). Had no real understanding of movement patterns, deer behavior, and the wind and how to tie all that together. I'm still learning too.... and do stupid stuff every year.....like miss.

Never did make the trip backwards to a recurve after I left them as a teen. I don't know now if my joints and shoulder would hold up with all the shooting I see necessary to shoot instinctively.

Sights and a release do help and allow some consistancy and ability pretty quick. But the hunt side of it may take longer. It did me (and still is).

Yeah, dust off the bow, practice hard,scout and give it a whirl!!!!!