The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2018, 09:51 AM   #101
ninosdemente

I am planning on going this weekend. Will definitely provide an update to see if they ended putting up any signs or if still word of mouth. Guess will see if the ranger still cherry picks the brass... which I don't doubt they will do so, lol.

I truly believe that both sides have valid points. As I have not been to any of the "stricter" ranges, for me its easy to complain about the one I go to. I guess what irritates me is that the ranger acts like it doesn't apply to them. But then again sometimes cops think that red lights and stop signs don't apply to them either, lol. So guess there are some things we can't do about and just have to deal with it. I guess if I didn't reload, it wouldn't bother me at all. But I do reload so it somewhat does, lol.

Just will see how the hand gun section will go as I do plan on loading those just haven't started yet. Will just have to wait and see until I go there.
Old October 9, 2018, 12:36 PM   #102
FITASC

Quote:
haha , how about in front of the targets

See 1:32 into the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5capbhKlVA
Pretty cool; what was the distance they were shooting?

Saw a photo of a Swiss Schutzenhaus where the entrance driveway came around from behind the 200 M berm and ran parallel to the shooting line of fire. Never an issue.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 10, 2018, 05:54 AM   #103
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
Using the same mindset tho, if the rule is "if it hits the ground" wouldn't that cover the tarp too? Would you not only loose your brass, but the tarp also? . . . .
Perhaps I should have been more specific. Perhaps I should have said "if the brass hits the ground. . . . "

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
I'm always puzzled, why we as gun owners try to impress upon others how responsible we are, and then come up with rationale like this suggesting to break or bend State/Federal regs/rules. It really puzzles me when it's a moderator or "staff" of a respectable internet forum that is suggesting it to it's members. Makes the words responsible and respectable loose their meaning. . . . .
At no point did I suggest breaking any law, rule or regulation. Quite to the contrary, I've advocating abiding by the rules, to the letter. Unless left with no other option, I would not go to a range that claimed my brass "if it hits the floor." (Though I admittedly have been to shooting matches where part of the deal was that the range got to keep all of the spent brass. I agreed to it beforehand and don't have a problem with it.) If left with no other option, I'd likely shoot more revolvers and bolt guns to keep my brass, or invest in a brass catcher. If I paid for the brass, it's mine.
Old October 10, 2018, 12:35 PM   #104
F. Guffey

Manufacturers of components do not make cases for reloaders that know what they are doing, that only hurts a very few reloaders.

I go to the range with no intention of removing brass, I am one of the few reloaders that can appreciate brass that has been fired in trashy old chambers. I want fired brass that is long from the shoulder/datum to the case head.

Rational: I am not a fire former, I am a case former meaning I form first and then fire. What is the cost to the reloader that knows what he is going?

One range allowed me to measure their fired cases for length from the shoulder to the case head. I had little to no interest in cases that were go-gage length, I was only interested in cases that were no-go gage length or close to no-go gage length.

After that there is the 280 Remington case; the 280 Remington case is .051" longer than the 30/06 case when measured from the shoulder of the case to the case head. So when it comes to cutting out all of the case travel the 280 Remington is my go to case.

I know just neck that case up and stick a second shoulder on it; not me because I am a case former and I understand all of that trick stuff shortens the case.

F. Guffey
Old October 10, 2018, 06:15 PM   #105
briandg

an example of why the companies/range owners would like to keep the brass.

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/...41QSCI19068001

The auction is closed, it closed at $29,604 for almost 18,000 pounds. Probably once fired LE training or testing brass. That's pretty near the scrap value, I suspect that it's mostly heading to reuse.
Old October 14, 2018, 09:19 PM   #106
ninosdemente

So I went to the range today and there was no sign anywhere. There was a different ranger there but I did not get any type of no no as I wasn't there to pick up other peoples left over brass. I guess still to be continued...
Old October 14, 2018, 09:48 PM   #107
Metal god

Did you talk to this Ranger and ask what his understanding was of the rule ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 14, 2018, 10:53 PM   #108
ninosdemente

I did not... he spent a lot of time at the 200 yds with other people there. I guess the serious reloaders. Rarely saw him pass by much. Probably when he did, I wasn't paying attention to him at all. The original post was from a Saturday I went to (different ranger), Sundays are the days I always go, which is the same guy I always see. But when I was pulling into an empty table, I saw him picking up brass as well. Which he always does. Heck even at one point we both picked up same brass from the same area. I was picking up then he pulled up to where I was at and started picking up. I just told him there was plenty for everyone, lol.