The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 8, 2018, 06:46 PM   #1
ADClope

Can you guys give me your thoughts on this rifle?

Been looking for a USGI M1 Carbine.

Prices seem to have been skyrocketing on them, I've looked at a few locally and the sellers were asking $1400-$1600 with cracked stocks, mixmaster type rifles that were in "ok" shape, but nothing great.

Simpsons is nearby to me, and this one caught my eye. Given the price jumps, I don't know if it's fair, or if it's outlandish. I don't mind paying it if it's genuinely worth what they're asking, but don't want to get screwed.

Thanks guys

https://www.simpsonltd.com/products/c38376
Old October 8, 2018, 09:42 PM   #2
arcticap

Less than 1 year ago, the CMP sold USGI M1 carbines that were returned from Italy for $850.
Old October 9, 2018, 06:59 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

$3 grand for an Inland?

Damned thing better come in a gold presentation box.

To me that seems to be rather high. But, I've not kept up with the American militaria market the last couple of years.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 9, 2018, 11:03 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

Ok, the nice thing is that's in the original WWII configuration without M2 cutout and without the updated sights. But I wouldn't pay half the money they're asking. Carbines are still plenty at gun shows, and usually not priced over $1200, $1500 for real nice versions.
Follow this and see where it ends https://www.gunbroker.com/item/787507845
Old October 9, 2018, 11:34 AM   #5
RickB

Of course, reproduction and original sights and stocks are readily available.
I would not pay collector money for a gun advertised as "original", when it is so easy to replace parts to make a gun appear original, if no proof that the correct parts weren't added yesterday.

You're more likely to get a gun that is at least authentically USGI if you buy one with all of the "late" parts and updates, as it's unlikely anyone is going to fake such a gun, and they're cheaper (more plentiful) at the same time.
Old October 9, 2018, 01:05 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...that's in the original WWII configuration..." I'd bet it was made that way by somebody with too much time and money.
You want to shoot it? If so, you'd be better off buying one via Gunbroker or one of the other auction sites.
The 3 grand is excessive too, but Simpson's is known for over pricing.
There's really no such thing as "correct parts" or a "correct" Carbine. None of the original makers made all the parts. Inland, for example, only made 9 of 'em, including the receiver.
Old October 9, 2018, 04:21 PM   #7
Don P

Just my opinion, that is way over priced
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 9, 2018, 05:48 PM   #8
FITASC

Damn 20-20 hindsight. I had the chance to buy M1s for $169 each as milsurps some years ago, including Inland, Winchester, etc. and they all matched and were in great shape.......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 9, 2018, 07:57 PM   #9
ADClope

Thanks everyone, great feedback. I'll keep looking.
Old October 10, 2018, 05:48 PM   #10
RickB

Quote:
There's really no such thing as "correct parts" or a "correct" Carbine. None of the original makers made all the parts. Inland, for example, only made 9 of 'em, including the receiver.
There are extremely detailed Carbine collector guides, identifying which subcontractor parts were in use by the primary contractors.

An original wouldn't have all matching parts, it would have the correct mix of parts.
Old October 10, 2018, 06:20 PM   #11
gw44

1973 a gun shop just down the road from me had 4 boxes of them, he just removed the lids, sign said $100 a piece, I said way would I want o0ne those !!!
Old October 10, 2018, 06:36 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

unlike Germany we didn't normally number our small arms parts, so there's no way to match a given part to a certain gun. And as mentioned, some guns had parts from different manufacturers when originally issued.

With US milsurps there are two basic "correct" conditions. Correct as originally issued (which may or may not be all parts from the same maker), and "correct" as maintained in service.

For example, a 1911 pistol, still in service in the 1970s, would have been maintained with 1911A1 parts, as needed. One that never needed a replacement part would be in original as first issued condition, one that had parts replaced (anytime after the mid 1920s) could have 1911A1 parts, and still be 100% fully correct, because that's the configuration the gun was in during its service life.

To some collectors there is a $ difference.

Right now, I think GI M1 carbines are priced stupidly high, and anything over $1000 doesn't even get my look, but I'm not a collector of carbines, and don't pay for their special history.

Last I looked (and I admit, its been some time) you could get a new M1 Carbine from Auto Ordnance (Kahr??) for around $800 or so. If history matters to you, pay for it and be happy. If you just want essentially the same gun without the $ of collector value, they're out there.

There is one other thing, if you have an income, then every so often, you get more money. Deals on guns come and go. Its frustrating when a deal goes away while you were still trying to justify spending the money.