The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 7, 2012, 07:41 AM   #1
p95

Redfield

Hello,
Im looking for a new scope for my hunting rifle, I recently read an article on the new redfield revenge range finding scope and was wondering if anyone on here had used one, and if so how well the range finding part worked? My rifle is a 30-06, and im hunting on a powerline so I could easily be looking at shots up to 500 yards, and it would b easier if i didnt have to have a separate rangefinder.
Old August 7, 2012, 08:41 AM   #2
kraigwy

I know know anything about the scope you asked about, but I've found Redfields to be good quality scopes.

I also wouldn't try to discourage anyone from having range finding abilities in a scope and learning how to use them.

Having said that, I'm a fan of hand held range finders. Mine is 8X and I use them instead of binoculars when glassing and ranging, its safer then using a rifle scope while hunting, you don't know who else is hunting down that power line.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 7, 2012, 09:18 AM   #3
p95

I understand where you're coming from. Where i hunt is a posted hunting club, and we all know where the others are so safety shouldn't b a factor.
Old August 7, 2012, 12:22 PM   #4
603Country

I'd rather have a hand-held rangefinder and a regular scope (and binocs). When I go to a stand, I'll range to certain spots (corners, trees, fenceposts, etc.) and then put the rangefinder away. Then I'll do my looking with binocs. I don't like glassing with the rifle, and I absolutely hate it when others point their rifles at me. Last season there was a guy down the powerline right of way about 400 yards, in a newly situated stand. He got up there, while I was watching him with binocs, and he pointed that rifle and scope right at me - probably to see if I was in the stand. Well, I was...and he knew right away that I was watching him point his rifle at me. He put the rifle down.
Old August 7, 2012, 01:04 PM   #5
jmr40

The Redfield Revolution is a decent entry level scope, and about as cheap as I could recommend. I'd use one, actually own 2, but there are better scopes for just a little bit more. The Revenge is somewhat unknown, but I'd rather not be the one field testing it. Just looking at the listed specs. online I'd have to pay the small differece for the Revolution.
Old August 7, 2012, 01:51 PM   #6
p95

I keep a pair of binoculars with me so the scope will only be used to range and target game. I've looked at the revolution but I am interested in the rangefinding capabilities of the revenge.