The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 9, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1
mesabi

Cast Bullets

I have read several articles on casting your own bullets and was wondering if anyone here has tried it. The majority of what I read was casting bullets for black powder silhouette shooting. Does anyone cast bullets for hunting purposes? Is there anywhere I should look for something like a beginners guide to casting hunting bullets?
Old May 9, 2010, 09:45 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Try the Bullet Casting subforum, more specifically the sticky at the top of the page entitled Bulet Casting 101. Yes I cast my own bullets for hunting and plinking. It is very easy, the initial setup is not expensive, and it can save you a BUNCH of money if you shoot a lot. But, like any other hobby, it does take some time. Casting your bullets is just one more way you can customize your loads to create the most accurate ammunition for your firearm.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 9, 2010, 09:58 PM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Now I get to show off... Hunting boolits like these???

357 magnum 170 grn GC HP 1200+ FPS... GP100man specials!

Mold: NOE 360-180 WFN Cost: $100

45 ACP 200 grn HP 900 FPS+

Mold: MP Mold 452-200 Cost: $100

454 Casull and 460 SW Mag (dont have the 460 yet LOL)

Mold: Noe 45BD 220 grn GC HP 2100 FPS in 454 Casull

Couldn't pass up the opportunity to show off! Premium hunting ammunition for CHEAP! BTW, these are custom molds and that is why they are a little pricey. There are cheaper molds out there that do just as well. All pictures are of hollow point boolits, but flat pointed boolits with wider meplats are EXTREMELY good (I actually think they are better than HP's...but they dont look as cool..LOL) hunting boolits. Heavy boolit + wide meplat = knockdown power.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old May 10, 2010, 06:06 AM   #4
troy_mclure

go to http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php for the best cast boolit info.

you can buy the Lyman cast bullet handbook, they are coming out with a new edition this summer.

you can get casting for under $100(not counting lead) with lee stuff.

that's what im doing, except im up to 3 lee moulds and another on the way, and a more expensive rcbs in the works.

lee 10lb bottom pour pot. $55

lee bullet mould $20

lee sizer(with lube) $20

some places can get wheel weights for free, and they are the perfect boolit metal.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 10, 2010, 06:53 AM   #5
GP100man

Bullets I CAST

Yeah like ICH says it`s time to show off & here`s a few I cast! actually the 2 on the far rite are ICHs 170 HPs & they shoot like they look, GOOD !!

ICH : I feel honored & special (pun intended) to have a bullet named after me wish I could shoot as good as those bullet could though!!!

On paper I`m terrible but I can hit a 8" gong consistently at 50yds , old eyes & all !!

I took this pic to show bases to a ?? someone asked `bout Gas Checks.

I`m addicted to castin as I am shootin & enjoy every aspect of it all , I even like trimmin cases a step in handloadin that is sometimes undone

Anyways here they are ,I`ve added a couple of rifle since !

Last edited by GP100man; May 10, 2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:10 AM   #6
troy_mclure

i forgot to add you could go cheaper with an old steel or cast iron pot, Lyman dipper $15, and a high wattage hot plate, or camp stove(if you have the pot and stove already).
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 10, 2010, 08:37 AM   #7
reloader28

I've made and shot cast pistol bullets for about 5 years, but untill about 3 months ago, never realy got into the rifle part. I'm flat out hooked now. I've been making for 223,257,243,30/30, and 30-06.

I aint started the 223's yet. I'm shooting 5/8" groups at 100yds with my 243. About 1 1/2" with my 257, but I'm going to switch bullet designs for that one. Still, 1 1/2" aint bad in my opinion for a homemade bullet. About 3" with my open sited 30/30.

Once you get going, it is cheap fun. For my rifle shooting, its costing me 9-10 cents per round. 3 cent powder, 3 cent primer, 3 cent gas check.

Aint used any for hunting yet, but am going to this fall. Why buy them when you can make them?
Old May 10, 2010, 08:37 PM   #8
mesabi

Is it difficult finding the right combination for accuracy? I would assume it is like adding another variable to the reloading process. Is it difficult to find the right hardness for velocity or is all of that well covered in the book?
Old May 10, 2010, 08:53 PM   #9
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

No it is not difficult at all. Bullet fit is the absolute most important aspect of having sucess with cast bullets. Generally cast bullets run .001 to .002 over groove diameter. Hardness is not as important aslong as you bullet fits your bore. The only time I worry about having a harder alloy is when I am running high pressure loads in my 454 casull. I both water quench these bullets right out of the mold and I also use what is called a gas check...a copper cup used to shield the base of the lead bullet from intense heat and pressure. All my other loads for 9mm, 38 spl, 357 mag, 45 acp, 45 colt, etc I use air cooled wheel weight alloy (you know, the wheel weights on people's wheels to help balance them). This alloy is great for just about all the common calibers running at low to medium pressures.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old May 10, 2010, 09:13 PM   #10
chris in va

I had a heck of a time finding the right combination for my 9mm. Once I did though, I refuse to go back to storebought FMJ. It's just as accurate, costs considerably less and...I made it!

45ACP is a snap though, very little testing required.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:28 PM   #11
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Yeah, I found with 9mm that sizing .002" over the groove diameter yields great results. My Sig P228 slugs at .356, so I actually use a light bullet intended for 38/357 mag and size it to .358. That and good quality lube was the key for me.

+1 of the 45 acp being a snap. 38/357 are very easy too. I totally agree that 9mm can be tricky.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old May 22, 2010, 08:39 AM   #12
budman46

Location: centraL pa. on the west bank of the susquehanna river
imo, the most important factor is availability of proper casting material; in the past, used linotype and wheel weights were readily obtainable for free...not so much now. if you can secure a decent supply of lead, the hobby will save you money and give you control of a critical reloading component.

i find it fascinating turning scrap into accurate, shiny bullets for all my firearms with a bit of sweat-equity, using relatively inexpensive (lee) equipment.

budman