The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 28, 2007, 01:34 PM   #1
daddySEAL

Opinions on the Springfield XD, please

I've been reading that it's very easy single action trigger pull is really good.....and so is the price(enough to buy one new, not used). And users really like it.

Can anyone tell me about it's:
Accuracy?
Reliability? (not jamming)
Stability (accuracy in rapid fire with minimal recoil, depending on load)?

All your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.
Thanx,
dS
Old February 28, 2007, 01:42 PM   #2
HappyGunner

My S.A.XD-45 Service

I sure like mine great shooting handgun really a solid design. Trigger takes getting use to but it works fine by my standards.
Old February 28, 2007, 01:43 PM   #3
daddySEAL

Getting used to?...because it is very light, or in what way, please?

And please give me your thoughts about those 3 areas I was asking about, if you would, please.

thanks,

dS
Old February 28, 2007, 02:15 PM   #4
SIGLOCKAUR

Some of the early ones mostly the .40's but a few 9mm had extractor problems. Mine was one of them. SA replace mine and the new one has eaten absolutely everything. Very accurate. Gret feel in the hand. Especially for a double stack 9mm. Very mild recoil in the 9mm. Like the trigger. It's not a 3.5 lb. 1911 tirgger but mine goes about 5.5 lbs. and is crisp. Some think the reset is a little long. Again compared to a Glock or 1911
maybe. But I have no problem firing fast follow up shots with the trigger. More training than anything else. Like mine enough that it backs up my Mossy 590-A1 as my home protection gun. Nightsights, M-3 light, and lots of rounds of Winchester 127gr. +P+ should see anyone through any bad situations. I'd recommend one.
Old February 28, 2007, 02:24 PM   #5
hdawson228

I bght my XD9 service model recently. Took it straight to the range and was really impressed. The grip is very similar to my 1911, perfect. Very natural aiming. Well made and very simple breakdown. Cost $469 at Gander Mtn.
No failures of any king and pretty darn accurate. Certainly more accurate than me. I have not shot rapid fire yet.
What's not to like?
Old February 28, 2007, 02:28 PM   #6
daddySEAL

Thank you for that info, SIGLOCKAUR and hdawson228.

Can it be fitted with an internal laser? Is that the hole I see just below the muzzle barrel?
If so, how/who installs it?

Last edited by daddySEAL; February 28, 2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old February 28, 2007, 02:31 PM   #7
Quickdraw Limpsalot

Everything I have to say about my XD is positive. I've typed it 100 times on this site alone... like in THIS THREAD from last week.
Old February 28, 2007, 03:16 PM   #8
daddySEAL

Wow!...thanks, Quickdraw.
There was alot of responce there.

Some guys were speaking of it having more muzzle flip than other manufacturers(but "managable")....and a long trigger pull.

Which full size models would be as good for reliability(and cost?), but are better in those areas?

dS
Old February 28, 2007, 03:19 PM   #9
hdawson228

Although the trigger pull is long, it IS smooth and crisp. Excellent.
Old February 28, 2007, 03:24 PM   #10
Mikeyboy

I recently purchase an XD9 SC. I like it over the Glock because of the trigger is better and the grip angle makes it easy to point and shoot(like a 1911). So far very reliable and easy to strip and clean. It also come with a Gear starter kit with 2 Magazines, a bore brush, a gun holster, Mag holster, mag feeder,and a gun lock, While this stuff is not the best quality (plastic), it least you have stuff to start with. It is a great gun for the money.

My pet peeves however is that it is top heavy and the high bore axis creates some muzzle flip, making rapid fire not as easy as a glock or other pistols. Also Springfield's part policy stinks so if your an IDPA junkie or someone who likes to tinker and do mods, the XD is not the best choice.

As you can tell I don't drink any Kool Aid.
Old February 28, 2007, 03:34 PM   #11
daddySEAL

Thanks,
Are there any other similar full size SA pistols that have the good characteristics as the XD's, but less muzzle flip?

I know I can't have EVERYTHING, but I hate big muzzle flipping!
(maybe a heavier semi-auto. for just a little more bucks

As I said, I really dislike big muzzel flips !
Old February 28, 2007, 03:54 PM   #12
Mikeyboy

Quote:
Thanks,
Are there any other similar full size SA pistols that have the good characteristics as the XD's, but less muzzle flip?

I know I can't have EVERYTHING, but I hate big muzzle flipping!
A glock, but then you got the bad grip angle and trigger. Maybe a walther P99 or a S&W M&P is better but I never shot either to compare.

Don't get me wrong, the XD is a great gun, but I also hate Muzzle flip. It is not real bad with the 9mm, but shooting one handed it is annoying, and I hate shooting all my guns weaver, then shooting the XD thumb over thumb Isosceles style to get a good group during rapid fire.
Old February 28, 2007, 04:07 PM   #13
HappyGunner

Answers

Keep in mind my XD-45 is a Service 4" standard model
====
Questions

Can anyone tell me about it's:
Accuracy?
===
Very good for military type handgun
Reliability? (not jamming)
===
No jamming this is not and 1911 unless your using handloaded Ammo. I can't see you ever having a feeding problem with the XDs.
Stability (accuracy in rapid fire with minimal recoil, depending on load)?
====
Again you need to try the Ammo. you intend on carrying in this or any handgun. But I don't find recoil even with +P Ammo. to be a problem. The XD-45 Service gets back on target quickly for repeat shots.
Old February 28, 2007, 04:37 PM   #14
18DAI

Personally, I'm not wild about the XD series, I don't dislike them, they just don't do anything for me that my current handguns don't.

I will say that seven out of the last twelve new shooters I've taught, have gone and purchased the XD9 compact. Everyone of them love that pistol. In fact, I'm looking for two more locally for the last two women I instructed. Springfield is onto something with that pistol. Regards 18DAI.
Old February 28, 2007, 05:25 PM   #15
robone

i won't comment...for those that want, you may say i did
Old February 28, 2007, 05:52 PM   #16
daddySEAL

What does That mean, robone?

???
Old February 28, 2007, 06:35 PM   #17
kristop64089

Xd-40

I can't say enough positive on mine. I have had mine for a year without one problem.

The fit and finish is good.

Trigger could be lighter.

No problem getting back on target in succesive rounds.

Lightweight.

No FTF/FTE to date.

A+ springfield
Old February 28, 2007, 06:54 PM   #18
SundownRider

I've had mine for nearly 4 months now, and have put nearly 1500 rounds through it. Not problems whatsoever. It did have to go back to Springfield because of a busted extractor spring, but that was my fault, not the gun's.
The gun works for me because it feels good in the hand, shoots where I want it to, and the Sub-Compact and Service models are good for concealment.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old February 28, 2007, 07:04 PM   #19
Chui

High bore axis.
Fair trigger (on the samples I've handled).
More muzzle flip than a Glock of the same size and caliber.
Much more felt recoil and muzzle flip than an M&P of the same caliber.

Good frip feel for me.
Old February 28, 2007, 08:54 PM   #20
sixshooterjunction

I own two XD's

Love both (357Sig, .45ACP). Very reliable, durable, well functioning pretty darn accurate for a production service pistol. Consistent trigger feel/pull, great ergonomics and bore axis.
Old February 28, 2007, 10:06 PM   #21
Shane Tuttle
Staff

"Everything I have to say about my XD is positive. I've typed it 100 times on this site alone... like in THIS THREAD from last week."

What Quickdraw said: My opinion is on that thread, too.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 28, 2007, 10:20 PM   #22
daddySEAL

Thanks everyone.

This is a great forum because it's very active with quick responces of all types, by lots of friendly helpful, knowledgable people. I think it Rocks!

Now, all I'd like to do is find a range near Austin where I can rent one to use and see what is feels like in operation. I don't know of any that rent, but I'll look.

Thank you all for your opinions and advise.
I REALLY appreciate all the replies.

dS
Old March 1, 2007, 03:29 AM   #23
Moe C.

Just to add one more thing. Take a look here - www.XDTalk.com
Old March 2, 2007, 07:38 PM   #24
parthelynx

I registered just so I could tell you how much I like the XD's.

Have a subcompact in 9mm. Smooooth trigger at about 5.5 lbs.
Bought a 40 S&W tactical. ROUGH trigger. Had a trigger job done. 3.5 pounds with <1/8" reset. Both guns are excedingly accurate. Now my favorite non 1911's. Good Luck.
Old March 3, 2007, 06:54 PM   #25
SND

Xd9

Bought my service used about 4 years ago. No problem whatsoever associated with the firearm. I had some problems with reloads but that was the ammo v. the gun. I'd estimate 3-4000 rounds through it without issue. Hoppes in the bore, CLP everywhere else. I had the trigger done by a guy in Central Indiana - made a huge difference!!

There were issues early on with the metal finish on the slide but that has been corrected with later models. I've read complaints about their reliability but just have not experienced them myself. Put ammo in and shoot, put more ammo in and shoot, and so on.

Scott