The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 29, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1
StiveC2007

replaceing a stock on howa 1500

Ive never had to replace a stock before and i was wondering really how hard is it too. is it just a matter or dropping the action and the barrel into the new stock and tighting the screws to the right poundage or do i hav to make adjustments to the stock with tools to make everything work correctly. i was thinking about putting on either a boyds wooden stock or a bell and carlson stock. this is for my hunting rifle. and right now the i have the hogue stock from legacy sports internation and i dont really care for it. so any information would be useful
Old April 29, 2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Scorch

Many aftermarket stocks are "drop-in" stocks. That means you can just put the barreled action, magazine and bottom metal into the stock, tighten the action screws, and you're done. If you want to improve things a bit you can bed the recoil lug and the tang area, but the stock should be good to go.
Old May 2, 2009, 12:33 PM   #3
MountainBear

Location: Floating between Oregon and Alaska depending on the season...
Be aware that some "drop-in" stocks require gentle persuasion to drop in. Sometimes this can be done with a simple exacto blade to remove mold lines. I have had to dremel a couple to get them to fit. If it won't go by hand tools, it might behoove you to take it to your local gunsmith.
But give it a try. Bell and carlson stocks and boyd stocks have always seemed to be of good quality when I've seen them. Make sure you order the right stock (LH/RH, SA/LA, etc).
Have fun. None of my hunting rifles still have the stocks they came with.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:00 PM   #4
DnPRK

I bought a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock for my Howa 1500 in 300 Win Mag. It dropped right in. Took 5 minutes from start to finish.