The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 6, 2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Rachen

I need a Prairie Rifle

Hopefully in .45-70 or .45-110 and possessing the massive Sharps receiver.

BUT, I have questions regarding the percussion 1859 Military Rifle. Searching the archives didnt really help much since there is just not that much written about it.

ACCURACY: Grouping is not important. Can the MODERN (Pedersoli) 1859 hit a SASS silhouette out to 600 yards? 800? 1000?

POWER: What is it's power at full load compared to the cartridges? I seemed to have read that the 1859 suffers some problems from gas leakage?

LOADING: Besides paper cartridges, I heard that it can also be loaded by filling the breech with loose powder. Seems like the best way if you want the most power of it.

All help would be appreciated.
Old April 6, 2011, 07:25 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Are you talking about the .54 caliber paper cartridge Sharps rifle carried by Berdan Sharp Shooters during the American Civil War? In the hands of the Berdan Sharp Shooters, they did hit men at 800 yards, but that gun won't give you the reach of a 45-70 Trapdoor or Sharps Rifle chambered in that caliber.
Old April 6, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Ideal Tool

Hello, Rachen. I have a Shilo Sharps (Farmington N.Y.) in .45 that I bought in mid 1970's. These were available at the time in .50 & .54. Mine is the 1863 military model. Shilo also made sporting models. The military, and I also believe sporting had chambers cut for the regulation 60gr. black powder charge. I have heard of others having chamber deepened, either by Shilo, or gunsmith to take larger charges for hunting. Can't speak about Italian copies, but extensive tests with mine using white cloth & tissue paper fastened around breech when fired, show no signs of leakage. Ctgs. can be made using plain, or nitrated (salt-peter) paper. They can be loaded with loose powder, with bullet breech-seated by hand. I sent mine back to Shilo for fitting a tang sight & dbl. set triggers..never shot beyond 100yds, but groups around 1 1/2 -2" are common. Best of luck!