The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 15, 2001, 08:04 PM   #1
Jack R-NJ

?? For Dave McC (870 of course)

Dave...had this problem with my 870 Exp. a few times...after firing the action is locked up tight....the prob is the hammer (stays in the fired position) I pull the trigger group ..cock manually and all is well for usually quite some time. Ever come across this ? p.s. also happens to a friends 11-48 once in a while.......any thoughts? thanks in advance
Old August 16, 2001, 05:47 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

11-48s were notorious for probs,including triggers, but 870s are not. I suggest dropping the trigger group and using a spray scrubber on it, maybe even twice, then relubing with a spray lube.You may have grunge in the wrong place.Or, maybe a sear prob. This is a gunsmith fix

But, the hammer stays down until the action is cycled, so there may be other probs obscuring the fix. Check the bolt and the notch it fits into in the bbl extension, and see if there's anything there that might affect lockup.

Also, what ammo does this happen with? All ammo or just one load? Any signs of overpressure in the fired hulls?
Old August 16, 2001, 10:39 PM   #3
Jack R-NJ

870 problem

Thanks for the quick reply Dave....the piece is about 7 or 8 years old and probably has had only about two thousand rounds thru it and is long overdue for a through clean up like you suggest...could be that's all it needs...as for ammo....all it's had is my reloads.....AA-17.7 red dot-1oz shot.....will give it a good cleaning and see what happens....thanks for the input
Old August 17, 2001, 07:23 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Jack, I did an informal test with my TB this last spring where it went 2000 rounds w/o cleaning inside the receiver. I use Clays in my reloads, a very clean burning powder. Grunge wasn't impeding function, but it was severe.