The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
rebs

using a counter sink to remove the military crimp?

Someone posted in a thread that a counter sink works well for swaging primer pockets, but I can't find the post or recall what size counter sink they said worked qwell.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't think the size matters. They are all the same angle and will cut the crimp the same.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:40 PM   #3
rebs

I tried a 3/4 inch countersink and it seems it doesn't go in far enough to get all the crimp. I am thinking maybe a 1/2 inch one might go in the primer hole a little further and get all the crimp ?

I was hoping someone that does the crimps this way could answer with what size they use and works for them.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:22 PM   #4
iraiam

before I had an actual primer pocket swager, I used a 2 rod system that I called my redneck swager.

one rod went through the neck of the case and was long enough to touch the bottom of the case and stuck out a few inches, this end went in the vice.

The other rod was just a cold steel punch that I ground by hand on a benchtop grinder to be the right size, it was also tapered because all I wanted to do is remove the crimp at the base not resize the pocket.

I just put the one rod in in a vice stuck a case on it and lightly tapped the other rod into the primer pocket with a small hammer, crimp removed.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 11, 2012, 06:33 PM   #5
30Cal

I just chuck my case mouth chamfer tool in a drill.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:09 PM   #6
jepp2

Quote:
Someone posted in a thread that a counter sink works well for swaging primer pockets,
Semantics, but I would never call using a cutting device a way of "swaging" a crimped primer pocket.

Maybe I have way more to do than most, but I wouldn't ever consider using anything but a swage tool for crimped or "tight" primer pockets (like S&B). I much prefer to reform rather that just cut the ridge from the crimp. YMMV
Old October 11, 2012, 07:53 PM   #7
wncchester

The diameter of a counter sink cutter hardly matters, as mentioned above they are generally ground with one of two common angles, neither of which is very good for crimp removal.

Lyman (maybe others) sells a proper crimp remover cutting tool for a modest price. Get one, chuck the cutter in a drill motor and use that.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:18 PM   #8
medalguy

If you have a lot of brass to swage, the Dillon swager is the cat's meow.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:57 PM   #9
hk33ka1

Swaging is forcing the material away/back with a rod or nipple RSBS and Dillon have several swaging tools. Reaming and chamfering will cut it away with a sharp edge. Countersink bits will ream as will reamers from Lyman or a normal chamfering tool (slowest way)
Old October 12, 2012, 04:17 AM   #10
HiBC

I was buying a Lyman VLD case chamfering tool from a fellow at a gun show,he told me they work well for removing crimps.Have not tried it.

If you expect to do a lot of them,the Dillon swage is hard to beat.
Old October 12, 2012, 06:01 AM   #11
rebs

Quote:
The diameter of a counter sink cutter hardly matters, as mentioned above they are generally ground with one of two common angles, neither of which is very good for crimp removal.

Lyman (maybe others) sells a proper crimp remover cutting tool for a modest price. Get one, chuck the cutter in a drill motor and use that.
wncchester is offline Report Post
Does anyone have a link to this Lyman swag cutter tool ?
Old October 12, 2012, 08:26 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

This question comes up quite often and I don't understand why. There is a little reloading tool just for this job. Stick in, twist and you are done. I have done thousands. Not a big deal.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:49 AM   #13
243winxb

Uniformer & Reamer are Different. Large & Small sizes

Large http://www.midwayusa.com/product/682...mer-tool-large See Suggested Products on the same page for what you want to do. Countersinks are common in 60 & 82 degree, but come in others.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:08 AM   #14
Slamfire

I used to ream, but I decided the Dillion primer pocket swager was faster and the pocket opening was more even.
Old October 13, 2012, 04:54 PM   #15
droptrd

The Dillon is the best. I used a 1/2" countersink bit for a while. You could go smaller. But I strongly recommend getting the Dillon. Just get it and be done with it. Like all Dillon products - lifetime warranty.