The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
freakintoguns

new Stoeger Model 2000 or used Remington 1100?

so now that im gainfully employed agai, im back in the market for a auto-shotgun to go along with my new AR-15 and old pump and .45, was looking at findinga good used remington 1100, however i can get what i want new in the stoeger for the same price, and havent really seen much bad said about the stoegers. which would you guys pickup? ill be runnin everything from wally world winchester value target shells to 3" magnum slugs and buckshot.
Old November 25, 2009, 06:58 PM   #2
perazzimx14

I would go with a rusty worn out 1100 that had a cracked stock before I even considered a Stoeger. Of course this is my personel opinion and others will disagree.
Old November 25, 2009, 07:18 PM   #3
BigJimP

I would go with a Remington 1100 as well and I think over the long run, it will be a better gun for you.

Remember picking a shotgun is about "Fit" - so it hits where you look. Shotguns don't come in one size fits all - and either one, or both, could be a waste of money - if they don't fit you correctly. First and foremost, pick the one that fits you the best - but you really need to shoot them if you can - before you pick a gun or get the stock dimensions ( drop at comb, drop at hell, length of pull ) that fits you, from trying a lot of guns, before you buy.
Old November 25, 2009, 07:25 PM   #4
freakintoguns

thanks for the advice BigJim, thats always what i do when i go to the gunstores to daydream, if handled a few remingtons, but never the stoeger, but i have fondled a couple Benelli Montes and they seem to be twins, on the outside anyway, from what ive read today and both feel great in my arms and shoulder well
Old November 25, 2009, 07:42 PM   #5
BigJimP

You're welcome - but please remember - feeling great - doesn't mean they will Hit where you look !

You really have to either know the exact dimensions that work for you / or be able to take them to a pattern board to find out.

Based on the stock dimensions I've looked at on both guns - neither of them would fit me ( but I still think there is a reason a used Rem 1100 is selling for about the same price as the others new ...) ... I'm not a big fan of the Rem 1100 either / but its a proven and solid gun. Personally, I prefer the Benelli in the semi-auto world ( and the model I like is the Benelli Super Sport - it has a lot of adjustability ) - my 2nd choice would be a Beretta 391 / and 3rd probably one of the Browning semi-autos .... but I like the Inertia system a lot better than any of the gas guns ...

But its a good time to buy a new shotgun .... there are some good deals out there / and some good guns . Have fun with the search ....
Old November 25, 2009, 07:44 PM   #6
freakintoguns

the hunt is half the fun! the other half is shootin the gun! thanks once again, think imma head to the gun store in a few to dream
Old November 25, 2009, 07:47 PM   #7
RoscoeC

Quote:
I would go with a rusty worn out 1100 that had a cracked stock before I even considered a Stoeger. Of course this is my personel opinion and others will disagree.
Heh, heh, heh. Well, I guess I'm the one. Nothing wrong with the 1100, but way too many folks undeservedly give the Stoeger M2000 (indeed all Turkish made shotguns) short shrift.

I can remember when "Made in Japan" meant unmitigated junk. Then along came those fantastic cameras, and cars, and oh, yeah...all those shotguns. Great shotguns. Today in many arenas "Made in Japan" is an assurance of quality.

I think Turkey is going the same way. The quality of the guns is improving. I really like the M2000, and the price can't be beat. There are lots of good reports on the Turkish made Weatherby auto loader and the one Mossberg puts out (I have heard they are the same gun), and other than some very early copies, the M2000 generally gets good reviews. Mine has been flawless.
NRA Life Member
Old November 25, 2009, 09:29 PM   #8
zippy13

No offense to RoscoeC, but I'm with P-mx14 and BigJim on this one. The R1100 is far from perfect (at least mine is); but, the Turkish guns need a little longer track record before I'm comfortable with one.
Old November 26, 2009, 01:37 AM   #9
RoscoeC

Quote:
No offense to RoscoeC, but I'm with P-mx14 and BigJim on this one. The R1100 is far from perfect (at least mine is); but, the Turkish guns need a little longer track record before I'm comfortable with one.
Hey, none taken. I work in a high tech industry. I am a guy that wears a belt only. A very good friend that works in the same industry wears a belt and suspenders. He would never buy a Stoeger M2000. I did. Now it could have been a POS, but it wasn't. Difference is I was willing to take a chance. It wasn't really much of a chance, $399.00.

I respect the tried and true. I have 2 870's, an A5, a Remington 11, but I also have a Spanish made side by side and a Stoeger M2000, and a Yildiz O/U.

I haven't really been disappointed with any of them.

That's me. I know some guys are expecting to buy one shotgun and have it be the be all and end all. I personally think that's being a bit naive. I'm willing to take a chance on the unknown. Some folks aren't. The shotgun fits so many possible needs I think it is impossible for one to be the answer to all needs. That's just me.
NRA Life Member
Old November 26, 2009, 02:57 AM   #10
zippy13

RoscoeC,
I should probably change one word to my remark:
Turkish guns need a little longer track record before I'm comfortable recommending one.
Old November 26, 2009, 09:21 AM   #11
jmr40

I've owned both. The Stoeger is a pretty darn good gun that may in the long run prove to be better, but the 1100 does have the track record to back it up. I gave up the Remington autos in favor of the Benelli M-1. The Stoeger is a cheaper copy of the Benelli. I could be wrong, but I would take the chance and go with the Stoeger.
Old November 26, 2009, 12:52 PM   #12
zippy13

When comparing shotguns, we need to keep an eye on the players: Beretta has a lot of experience making firearms -- They've been at it for nearly 500-years. A few years ago Beretta made a move. In addition to taking a position with Perazzi they also got Benelli and Franchi. Benelli already had Stoeger.

As a result, the Franchis and Stoegers got the well respected Benelli inertia drive. If the same folks are selling similar shotguns with different labels in different price ranges it should tell you something.

When talking of Benelli vs Stoeger you might want to think about Mossberg and their Meverick line of shotguns. They are almost identical and Mavericks are cheaper, but the Mossbergs are more popular, why?
Old November 26, 2009, 04:37 PM   #13
tandom

The Turks make a nice towel if your into washing your own car; but as far as semiauto shotguns the Rem 1100 is in a class of its own in my opinion.
Old November 26, 2009, 07:02 PM   #14
ebutler462

My sons and I have had good luck with M2000 Stoegers. We bought our first M2000 when they were called first generation, prior to Beretta installing CNC tooling. It is roughly made but has never missed a lick. The other two are second and third generation models. Each generation is better machined and all of them have been very reliable, never given a problem. They have been so reliable that Franchi now uses the same action in their I-12 model.

The last generation 2000s are very well made. The main problem with the M2000 is that they are not test fired before shipment. Thus some slip through with problems. Not many but a small percentage have to be sent to MD for finishing touches to the actions. Gun Tests Magazine rates the M2000 higher than the Franchi I-12 in reliability.

Few will agree with me but comparing the three generations of M2000s convinces me that Turkish guns, at least those from Stoeger SSA, get better and better, especially since the computerized CNC machining of the action parts.

I have a couple of Remingtons but the M2000 fits me better.
Old November 27, 2009, 09:37 AM   #15
chaser_2332

let us not forget the s2000 now has the inertia driving system so in essence it's a benelli m2 only a cheaper price, i have both benelli inertia guns and remmy 1100 i wouldn't give up anyone of them, however i can say without a doubt my remmy has became a safe queen as of late.
Old November 27, 2009, 10:07 AM   #16
ebutler462

The M2000 has the same action as the Benelli Montefeltro. Many parts for the Benellis are made by Steoger SSA and assembled in Italy.
Old November 28, 2009, 01:17 AM   #17
cwb

i have owned 2 m2000's and never had a problem with them but i had to sell them becuase i was closing my business and needed some money to float by on also you cant go wrong with the 1100
Old November 28, 2009, 01:25 AM   #18
XD Gunner

Quote:
I would go with a Remington 1100 as well and I think over the long run, it will be a better gun for you.
I agree, while I have heard that Stoeger can make a good gun, Remington has never done me wrong.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old November 28, 2009, 11:42 AM   #19
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Old November 28, 2009, 12:57 PM   #20
MTT TL

I own both. The 1100 is superior in many ways. The Stoeger is lighter and functions just fine though and I have no complaints about it.
Old December 7, 2009, 12:16 PM   #21
seattlefungus

Guns are tools. No one has one socket in the tool box. Nor one size box wrench. Shotguns, rifles and pistols are the same. You wouldn't hunt rabbits with a 300 Mag. Some good points made here regarding improved CNC and a solid base design for the Benelli Inertia action. For the kind of shooting you are talking about. It's a good choice. The parts are readily available. The cost is not prohibitive and the new guns have a pretty solid reputation. It would be a good choice if the fit is right. Try the length of pull on both models and consider after market options you may want in the future. A solid tactical is not the same as a field gun in handling and taking to point. Shorter barrel and magazine capacity are important, as are the ability to modify the sighting system and possibly a sling. Good luck on your hunt for a good gun!
Old December 7, 2009, 12:28 PM   #22
oneounceload

Quote:
let us not forget the s2000 now has the inertia driving system so in essence it's a benelli m2 only a cheaper price
If was the same, then Benellis wouldn't be selling at all at their high prices.

There is a difference here - the 1100 is a GAS gun, which means it will dampen felt recoil more than an Inertia-Driven (or blowback) design. Equal load in equal weight gun, Remington feels softer shooting. Since 1100's are typically heavier than the others they should also have less actual recoil.

If you are going to shoot magnums and heavy loads, make sure you get the 1100 designed to handle it