The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 29, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Anthony C.

mechanical problem?

I think I need some help deciding what the problem is with my AK...

I have an AK-47 built on a milled reciever. It was put together from bulgarian parts at The Firing Line in Oklahoma. The darn thing shoots 3 foot groups at 50yds! My first assumption was that the mount or optic was poor, so I removed the UTG side-mount that held my AimPoint Micro. Upon firing again, the same was true using the iron sights! The front sight post is so canted on this thing I had to reduce the distance to 25yds and aim off paper--still... 1 and a half to 2 foot groups! I shoot well with other weapons, having qualified expert with my M-4 (with AimPoint M2, not ACOG) earlier today. So assuming I did my part, what could possibly be so mechanically wrong with the rifle that it would be renedered so useless?!!

--headspacing?
--timing?
--the UTG tri-rail lower putting pressure on something? (it's a tight fit)
I should mention that absolutely nothing wiggles on this rifle...
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have you guys ever seen anything like this before, or am I crazy?
Old April 30, 2009, 12:22 AM   #2
kscardsfan

How is your muzzle crown? That can usually lead to real **** poor accuracy. Also, do you know if the headspace is correctly set? That might be raising hell with your accuracy, it might also be a problem within the barrel (rough bore, etc). Finally, it is an AK they're known for being dead tough reliable, not tack drivers (although 3 foot groups do seem a little excessive, even for an AK). Accuracy problems can be hard to diagnose without watching/playing with the gun in my case.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Mac's!

Assuming that you're using a steady rest and you already said that you shoot well:
The canted front site will cause all kinds of problems but since you said that it did the same thing with an electronic site, I'll drop that as a cause for the problem. You do need to have the front site re-centered though.

Here's a few things to check:
1...Headspace.
2...Muzzle crown.
3...Is the barrel tight in the receiver? (Yes, I saw one that was ready to fall out)
4...Shot out barrel. Is the Hard Chrome still in the barrel? (Not very common for AK's)
5...Decent ammo. AK's are not the most accurate rifle in the world but they'll do a lot better than what you're describing. Likewise, they're not really particuluar about the ammo that you feed them but it may be junk ammo that's causing the problem.
6...Bent barrel. Yes, this will cause the bullet to hit off of the target but it can cause a very large pattern too. Bullets don't like to change direction once they're launched.
7...Faulty muzzle brake. It can be a poor design or even installed incorrectly causing the bullet to nick the side. I had one where the bullet was nicking the side of the exit hole. Those bullets were hitting all of the place!

#1 and #2 will cause noticeable accuracy problems but not a three foot pattern at 50 yards. (Unless it's really really bad!!) #4 is pretty unusual. My guess will be #'s 5, 6, or 7. Hope this helps. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' irons
http://www.shootiniron.com