The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 17, 2018, 10:30 PM   #1
John E.B. Rawton

Gifted a JUKAR pistol

Today I was gifted a JUKAR flintlock pistol. I have only been getting started in the black powder realm, loading a handfull of cartridges, converting my Walkers back to c&b and aquiring a new 1851 and 1860.
The JUKAR looks to be in good condition, a few bunged screws. It had been fired but is clean. Looks to be .44 caliber. I imagine it was a kit.
I was thinking that 30-40g would be a safe charge to start.
Should I use a wad with this type of gun?
Old November 17, 2018, 11:01 PM   #2
Rachen

First off, welcome to the black powder club and congratulations on your newest acquisition

Shooting black powder is a very good way to learn self-reliance and independence from the mass-market firearms scene. Because a main part of making a black powder firearm shoot properly is the work that YOU put into it. You have to load the weapon or the cartridges for the weapon yourself, possibly cast your own projectiles, and properly clean/maintain the gun. Unlike a Glock, you don't just pick it up and grab a box of ammo and start blasting away. You will have to be a reloader and a moderate-level gunsmith.

To answer your question, it is really up to your personal preference. Historically, single shot pistols and rifles are loaded with "patched balls". The wad is the piece of cloth that holds the projectile like a sabot and it serves to: 1: Create a gas seal and improve the ballistics of the ball once fired, and 2: keeps the projectile from inching forward up the barrel when the gun is not being used, but carried around for a while. If you are going to just load and shoot a few rounds out of it at the range for fun/practice, you can just go ahead, load with naked projectile and fire. But if you plan to keep it loaded as a backup gun to take along while hunting or hiking, best to use a patch. Hope that helps.
Old November 17, 2018, 11:52 PM   #3
Hawg

30-40 grains will be fine. You will need to use patched .440 balls. No wad necessary.
Old November 19, 2018, 10:07 AM   #4
John E.B. Rawton

Thanks for the reply's.
Old November 20, 2018, 02:15 PM   #5
ThomasT

I have a couple of them. One with a 4" barrel and another with about an 8" barrel. They are 45 caliber not 44 and like the other posted stated need a .440 ball. I have shot everything from 20 to 50grs of 3F in mine. At the ranges I shoot them I can't tell much difference in accuracy but when you get up around 40grs of powder they start to feel powerful. They are a hoot to mess with.
Old January 23, 2024, 01:19 PM   #6
JollyRogerCain

In a posting I read elsewhere on another forum, I was reading a guy was using a .430 ball and 015 patch, would this work the same as a .440?
I received a short barrel Jukar when my uncle passed 30 something years ago, and it's time to shoot it.
Old January 26, 2024, 03:14 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

You may want a smaller patch, say .010.