The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 13, 2002, 12:27 AM   #1
JackM

Old H&R revolver

A friend has this H&R top-break that he got from his grandfather. It's nickel plated, 5 shot, .32 S&W, concealed hammer, black plastic grips which are 1" longer than the grip frame. The rear sight is a groove in the latch. Patent dates are April 2, 1895 and April 7, 1896. The barrel is part of the front frame and 4" long. I'd rate the condition as good to very good. Can anyone provide any details or approximate value?

Thanks
Jack
Old November 13, 2002, 01:53 PM   #2
Crimper-D

Some People Will Collect ANYTHING!

There are a lot of these old top-breaks around. 22's 32's 38's - A
lot of them are in amazingly good shape considering their age, simply because they were never shot The original owners bought them and a box of shells, chucked them in a drawer, and there they stayed. These were the original "Saturday Night Specials" = cheap, mass produced in the hundreds of thousands and sold in every retail outlet imaginable.
The usual advice on old firearms before shooting them is to have them checked by a gunsmith first... in the case of these little old revolvers, get a second opinion...you might be able to safely shoot a box of factory ammo through one before the cylinder loosens or the timing goes off.
Worth? = Not Much
Old November 13, 2002, 08:09 PM   #3
Joe the Redneck

I own a S&W 32, an Iver Johnson 32, and a Hopkins and Allen 38 s&w. MIne are in terriable shape but still function. Value is quiet low. I paid 35, 75, and 35 dollars respectively. I think 35 bucks is closest to real value, but 75 to 150 is typical.

Mine are not very accurate at any range, and thus,not that much fun to shoot.
Old November 14, 2002, 02:43 PM   #4
johnwill

Here's an H&R hammerless that's in 99% condition that I gave $75 for a few months back...

Old November 14, 2002, 10:24 PM   #5
JackM

That looks like the same frame as my friend's. The grip panels are longer, with a second screw below the grip frame. The barrel's dirty, so it's been fired, but it's tight. It hasn't been fired in over 50 years.

Thanks
Jack
Old November 19, 2002, 06:46 PM   #6
joab

I got my auto ejector for $25 from Army Navy store