The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 17, 2008, 10:42 PM   #1
mechman1960

Savage Model of 1917

I am trying to find out more about this Savage I bought today.Model of 1917 Serial #245xxx . Pearl grips, silver colored slide and Mag. release, trigger, hammer. I have looked in all my books and none of them mentions stainless or alloy. I found one that mentions the pearl grips allthough. I don't think it has not been sanded or buffed to "in the white". I took it apart and looked very carefully in the ridges and slots underneath the slide. The entire slide has the same sheen and color, also a magnet does not stick as well to the silver parts as it does to the frame. The frame had some(light) rust, but not even a pinpoint mark on the slide. Any help you can give me as to origin (maybe prototype?) and value would be greatly appreciated.
http://
Old October 18, 2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Tom2

I had a nickeled Savage once. Perhaps somenone just put it together that way with parts from two guns. The grips look kinda handmade to me too. Normally they have hard rubber grips with the Savage logo molded into them. I bet all the Savage collectors will assure you it is not original. It has had 80+ years to be messed with and someone probably just built it for fun when used Savage autos were not expensive or collectable.