The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 4, 2017, 05:07 PM   #1
Kwik2010

Montana Hospital Concealed Carry

I curious as to the legality of carrying concealed in a Hospital in Montana. I've read the laws multiple times but I'm not sure how to interpret them. I have a cwp. I know if I am asked to leave, I must do so and will not hesitate to do so. I can not find a law that specifically prohibits hospital carry except for government run hospitals in the federal laws. I have a family member that frequents a certain hospital that has "No Gun" signs posted at the entrances but I'm not keen on disarming myself unless absolutely and legally required to. I've heard that they have no force of law unless I am asked to leave but how much truth is there to this? I haven't found a law that even addresses this. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 4, 2017, 06:02 PM   #2
ShootistPRS

Look at the laws in Montana. You might have to check state, county and local laws too.
In Washington those signs have no force of law unless it is a specified federal or otherwise prohibited space. I like to go in and hand the manager one of these cards:
http://www.learntocarry.com/nogunsnomoney/
I have gotten a couple of local establishments to allow concealed carry that way.
Old June 4, 2017, 06:18 PM   #3
FITASC

Quote:
In addition, be sure to check local regulations, which may restrict carrying concealed weapons at public meetings, and in public parks and buildings.
That is from the Montana DOJ site:

https://dojmt.gov/enforcement/concealed-weapons/

so, you will need to check the laws of the town where the hospital is located.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 25, 2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Paul105

Contact Montana Shooting Sports Assoc.

mssa at mtssa dot org

paul
Old June 25, 2017, 02:06 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I wonder if this means what it says:

Quote:
any place where alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed and consumed
To me, wearing my editor's hat, "and" means the only prohibited places are those where alcoholic beverages are consumed on-site. I can easily see a cop interpreting it to include supermarkets that sell beer ...
Old June 25, 2017, 04:37 PM   #6
Pinky Carruthers

Yes, that refers to bars not liquor stores or grocery stores.
AFAIK the only prohibited places for a CCW holder are banks, bars and .gov buildings (including university buildings).
SOM
Old June 28, 2017, 02:06 PM   #7
Kwik2010

Thank you for the replies. I tried contacting the sheriff's department and they said to call an attorney. Lots a help there. I'll contact MSSA. Thanks again. The city is Billings, MT by the way.
Old June 28, 2017, 05:29 PM   #8
Kwik2010

I got a very fast reply from MTSSA. This was what I wrote them and their reply:

Christian,

Hospitals are generally privately-owned private property. Thus, they can enforce their own rules (e.g., "No shirt, no shoes, no service.") It is not against the law to carry past their sign. However, if they find that you have violated their policy they may (probably will) ask you to leave. If you refuse, then it becomes a criminal matter - trespass.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Gary Marbut, president
Montana Shooting Sports Association
http://www.mtssa.org
Author, Gun Laws of Montana
http://www.MtPublish.com

Hello,

I was pointed in the direction of contacting your assiciation about the legality of carrying in a hospital in Montana. Specifically, Billings, MT. I can't find any law that restricts it but the hospital in question has "no gun signs" posted at the doors. I don't want to break any laws so I've been leaving my firearm in my vehicle locked in a safe in the parking lot. I don't know if these signs have any force of law in Montana. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. I tried contacting the Sheriff's department and the only advice I was given was being told to speak to an attorney.

Thank you,
Christian
Old July 16, 2017, 05:48 PM   #9
langenc

As for the cards-good idea that has been around.

Some groups/individuals have had em made up, 2 sided. Back mentions that CCW carriers are FBI checked and several other points and closes by asking "can you say that about all your customers?"

One fellow had several thousand made and then sent to those who wanted and remitted couple bucks for printing/postage.