The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 20, 2009, 06:11 AM   #1
blueridgewv

Ammo for Glock 23

Would like opinions on this ammo for sale by The Armory (the-armory.com):

Quote:
40 S&W 180 gr FMJ Wolf Ammo Case (500 rds)
$129.99

Case of Wolf 40 S&W, FMJ, 50 Rounds Per box, 10 Boxes Per case. Advanced Polymer Coated
Great price, might be out of stock soon. Does not say "boxer primed" or "non-corrosive" as others. How important are those features?
Old March 20, 2009, 07:18 AM   #2
Sevens

I am not familiar with this particular retailer, but that's pretty much because I don't buy much ammo.

In any case, Wolf ammo is some of the cheapest stuff you can buy, and it typically performs as such. Wolf Gold is much better and does a better job of copying typical U.S. production casual target ammo, like Win White Box, Feb American Eagle, Remington-UMC, etc.

Basic Wolf stuff is typically steel cased, lacquer coated and berdan primed.

Steel cased means that it's not brass, doesn't flex or expand nor contract like brass. And brass is a soft metal, much softer than the chamber of your pistol or rifle... where steel is NOT soft and not pliable. It's cheaper to manufacture.

Berdan primed means that it uses a system of priming that is not common in North America and is not reloadable (unless you have very specialized tools and components... for all intents and purposes, it's not reloadable) Boxer primed means that it uses the normal primers that we find here on this side of the globe and that you can punch the old primer out and install a new one if you choose to reload the brass case.

Lacquer coated usually is put on these steel cased lots of ammo to better help them feed since the exterior is of a different metal than typical ammo. For some folks and some platforms, the lacquer isn't a bother. For others, it dirties up actions and requires more cleaning.

Add it all up and you typically don't get your moneys worth out of this ammo. You shouldn't expect the top accuracy out of it, either.

So then: if you are shooting tin cans at 15 yards, if you like to hear a bang and see some smoke and topple a can, this ammo will fit the bill.

But no... it's not up to the quality of even the cheapest ammo from the big four U.S. ammo makers.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Chesster

Sounds like some cheap range ammo. I have not had any significant problems with Wolf handgun ammo in the past.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 20, 2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Sixer

Sorry but... Neither

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old March 20, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Delaware_Dan

Just make sure your range will let you shoot it there first. Some ranges don't allow Wolf.
Old March 20, 2009, 11:06 AM   #6
ar15chase

I dont like the stuff myself. I would rather spend the extra buck and get good ammo, that is better on my gun. There are plenty of people out there who think it is good stuff. I am just not one of them. I wont shoot anything with a laquer coating. And since when did a laquer coating become a "advanced polymer coating?" Seems to me they are trying to make it sound better. Maybe I am wrong.
Old March 20, 2009, 11:14 AM   #7
goodspeed(TPF)

40 S&W 180 gr FMJ Wolf Ammo Case (500 rds)
$129.99
Case of Wolf 40 S&W, FMJ, 50 Rounds Per box, 10 Boxes Per case. Advanced Polymer Coated
Quantity
Quantity 1+
Price $129.99
Out of Stock

They are out of stock.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old March 22, 2009, 02:17 AM   #8
blueridgewv

Thanks for the feedback

I'm glad I asked. I had no idea what a difference this ammo is versus others. I had no idea about the difference in accuracy, or that some ranges do not permit. That is a real difference.

Ammo is hard to get in large quantities now, so am looking for bargains without sacrificing that much quality.
Old March 22, 2009, 01:57 PM   #9
Oldjarhead

Wolf .40 caliber

Not a bad price. I bought 500 rounds of Wolf 180g .40 cal ammo from www.jgsales.com for a little less, but that was about a year ago. Reliable ammo, not one reliablity problem. The only thing you might not like is that the powder is pretty dirty. A little more smoke and the gun needs a tad more cleaning.

Tags
.40 cal , ammunition , glock 23