The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 20, 2002, 05:39 PM   #1
TOMBSTONE

Source For Stainless Steel Magazine Springs

After reading the article about the Wilson/scattergun shotgun,I thought I might want to install a Stainless Steel Magazine spring in MY Winchester 1300 defender like they have in their Rem. 870's.I called them up,and unfortunatly they only make them for a 5 and 6 shot tubes.Mine is a seven shot tube.Does anybody know where I might find a source?Wolfe springs website has some springs,but does not mention anywhere on their website as to the material they are made of.Thanks,Ralph
Old May 20, 2002, 05:45 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Unless you're closer to salt water than I, a standard spring will do well. Someplace around here is the original spring for my 1950 870, and it's not corroded at all,even after plenty of salt marsh and bay work.
Old May 20, 2002, 05:50 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Stainless not a good spring material.

Just replace your spring steel spring every 50 years.

Sam
Old May 20, 2002, 06:00 PM   #4
TOMBSTONE

THanks for the quick replies.I thought to myself earlier that perhaps stainless would not make a good spring,but what do I know.THey stated in the article that regular springs corrode badly,but that hasn't been my experience even with lack of maintainance.I just thought what the heck,it sounded like a good part for a tactical shotgun,but maybe it's not.well thanks for the input.Ralph
Old May 20, 2002, 08:15 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're quite welcome,Ralph. Got to thinking, even on roached agency 870s, abused here in Moist Md, no spring heavily rusted and none past usable.
Old May 20, 2002, 08:46 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Never saw a stainless part on Naval guns or Naval Aircraft guns. Salt spray environment. Extra attention to corrosion control was better than having less strength with stainless.

Feed chutes and trays, yeah......but not on any part that required strength and durability.

Sam
Old May 21, 2002, 02:09 PM   #7
TOMBSTONE

Thanks again for the responses.I was thinking about it before I posted,and thought there might be an exchange of durability for corrosion resistance with that type of spring.After these responses,I'm of the opinion now it isn't really necessary for a stainless mag spring.Well thanks again,Ralph