The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2002, 07:57 AM   #1
Haycreek

What is the value of a Victor Sarasqueta Fibar

This Victor Sarasqueta Fibar is a 12 guage double, side by side, with 281/2 inch improved modifide tube. the receiver is highly engraved, fine checkering, selective trggers and ejectors,sidelock,and two ivory sights on a good rib. From what I can fine out from reading, it is a grade four worth $3250.00. Do you have any knowledge that you care to share and enlighen me further. I purchased this shotgun over 20 years ago at a gun showl the shotgun is rather light weight , and will balanced.
Old May 18, 2002, 01:15 PM   #2
PJR

The gun was made by Victor Sarasqueta, one of the better Spanish shotgun makers until it went under in the early 80's. Make sure it says Victor because there were other Sarasquetas making guns of lesser quality.

What reads as "Fibar" is, in fact, Eibar which is the city in Northern Spain that is the center of Spanish gunmaking.

Victor Sarasquetas made utilitarian boxlocks all the way through to fine sidelocks from the Model 3 to the ornately engraved Model 12E. They were imported by many companies including Stoeger. Not sure how you concluded it was a Grade 4. There is a Model 4 Victor Sarasqueta (I own one) but the engraving is quite spartan. It sounds like you have one of the higher grades, possibly a Model 12E. My two year old Blue Book quotes a price of $2,145 for a Model 12 in 100% condition. IMHO, $3,250 is too much for this gun when you can buy a new Spanish sidelock from a reputable maker for not much more. That said, there may be something special about this gun (extra barrel set, maker's case, gold inlay) and without seeing it, making an estimate of value is impossible.

You might try asking the same question on either of these forums.

http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/

http://www.gunshop.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Your gun should have various proof and makers marks on it. If you want to know what they mean and find out when your gun was made you can try here:

http://web.jet.es/apraiz/b_punzones.html

Hope this helps. Sounds like a very nice gun.

Paul