The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 21, 2022, 02:25 PM   #1
Pahoo

Last Load's legacy

I provide support to two local GunSmiths and they often get trouble calls from M/L shooters that get into this "Great-Adventure", mainly to extend their hunting season and dumb as "day-old" Boots; not very knowledgeable about what they are doing. Yes, mostly it's the In-Liners. Well, just got a call that a customer still had his M/L loaded, from last year and proceeded to load for this year. He got lucky and so far, only has to get a new pair of glasses. He wants it checked out and see if it's safe to shoot. I told my Smith that I would look at it but good or bad, would not give it, my blessings and he shouldn't either. ....

Now then, in Iowa, an M/L is considered unloaded if there is no primer, in place. Student once asked is it would be okay if he kept the M/L loaded "unprimerd" all season and then clear it. I know many folks do this but make sure to keep track of the condition what you are doing. To some degree "we" are all Guilty of this. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 29, 2022, 11:04 AM   #2
bladesmith 1

Just curious but why are you giving the gun your disapproval be for you've even looked at it ? This very thing has happened many times in the past and I wouldn't think all those guns were thrown in the junk heap.
Old December 29, 2022, 11:10 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Liability. A gunsmith is not going to say a gun is safe to return to use after being blown up.
Old December 29, 2022, 11:35 AM   #4
Pahoo

Liability; Thanks Jim !!!

Quote:
Liability. A gunsmith is not going to say a gun is safe to return to use after being blown up.
That's the reason and the "powers" to be are asking that we "certify" them as being safe. I know of no one, outside the original manufacture, would/can certify any firearm as being 100% safe. We just don't have or want that authority. ......

Do your best; in your own "Best" ways !!!
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 29, 2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old December 29, 2022, 11:49 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

concur with Jim.

Need a magnaflux for latent fratures and X-ray to check the metal. What gunsmith has those things? (My local auto repair doesn't even have a magnaflux).

Easier to scrap the barrel and put a fresh one on it.
Old December 29, 2022, 11:52 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Which is why the Common Internet Recommendation is to have a used or surplus gun "checked out by a gunsmith" is not worth much.

He would likely point out faults and flaws, but he will not likely take it upon himself to say it is safe and satisfactory.
Old January 1, 2023, 01:40 AM   #7
bamaranger

empty v. loaded

Alabama considers a BP rifle "unloaded" as well if it is not primed. Pretty sure that nearby MS and TN are the same. We frequently encountered BP rifles in that condition when working traffic during ML seasons. We found more than a couple charged and primed in vehicles too!

I've left one charged , and left them longer than I care to admit. My practice is to leave the ramrod in the bore, reminding me the thing is charged. But you hear from time to time of tragic accidents caused by AD's with ML rifles that remained charged from the previous season. I strongly discourage the practice.
Old January 1, 2023, 05:13 PM   #8
Hawg

I think there's more to the story of the double charged rifle. If the barrel isn't ringed I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it.
Old January 2, 2023, 04:56 PM   #9
Pahoo

True but only as "MY" opinion

Quote:
I think there's more to the story of the double charged rifle. If the barrel isn't ringed I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it.
Nor I, but these days you have to list it as an opinion as opposed to presenting as instructional. By the way, In all these years, I have only seen one Octagon, ringed barrel. I was somewhat puzzled by this. ......

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 3, 2023 at 01:38 PM.
Old January 3, 2023, 11:28 AM   #10
HiBC

What works for me... I've elk hunted in Colorado in multi-day trips with weather. If my season ends without firing a shot... I have a curiosity.
Did I take enough care to "keep my powder dry?"

Camp packed up and we are leaving, I fire the charge in the rifle. Then I know,"Yup! It would have fired." Or not.

I suspect the reason the rifle is left charged,but not capped, has to do with road hunting on the drive home.
Old January 3, 2023, 12:52 PM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
I suspect the reason the rifle is left charged,but not capped, has to do with road hunting on the drive home.
That's a hard assumption to make. I'll leave mine loaded for weeks.