The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 25, 2020, 05:23 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

New from Henry

https://www.henryusa.com/press/out-w...m_medium=email

Henry is making their steel-framed rifles more like Marlins and Winchesters, by adding a side loading gate in response to customer demand.

Good for them.
Jeepaholic
Old November 26, 2020, 01:03 AM   #2
GeauxTide

My X goes both ways.
Old November 26, 2020, 08:26 AM   #3
Wheelgun

I've been looking at lever actions lately, and am tempted by Henry rifles offerings. The side gate seems like a nice addition, although I am not sure if it really makes a difference for me. My biggest problem is trying to decide if I want one in .357 magnum , or 30-30.

Wheelgun
Old November 26, 2020, 12:02 PM   #4
jmr40

I've never liked loading from the tube. Even on the traditional Marlin and Winchester 22 lever guns. I just don't like having my hands that close to the muzzle nor having the muzzle pointed that close to my head while loading and unloading.

And I've never been real fond of Henry rifles. Partly because of the lack of a side loading gate, and for some other minor issues. Never said they weren't good guns, just never really liked them.

But I can see some advantages of having the side loading gate AND having the option of loading via the tube. If nothing else it makes cleaning the mag tube easier as well as clearing jams.

Winston Churchill
Old November 26, 2020, 12:34 PM   #5
kenny53

I find the Henry 22 is one of the smoothest shooting guns I have ever owned. The loading tube doesn't bother to much. If I was still walking around the desert shooting jackrabbits it might be more of a problem trying to top the magazine. The marlin has a loading gate which is nice for topping off the mag, but I believe Henry makes the better firearm.
Old November 26, 2020, 12:43 PM   #6
44caliberkid

The only Henry I own is a black finished 22 with octagon barrel. It is super accurate shooting off hand , and I love it. I would buy a big frame steel Henry (30-30, 45-70) if it came in 444 Marlin. They also need a .35 and a .375 in that size. The pistol caliber Henry's are just too big for me, a lot of steel there, I'm sure they're as tough as a monkey wrench but I prefer the lighter weight of a 1892 clone for 357 and 44 Magnum.
Old November 28, 2020, 11:39 AM   #7
shurshot

I love a tube, far better in my opinion than a clip ("Magazine" for the internet PC crowd). My Henry .22 lever is just as sweet as the Winchester .22 lever rifle I had years ago. Accurate, reliable, balanced just right and well made. What a fun carbine for plinking at tin cans with! I may have to look into another one in a bigger caliber.
Old November 28, 2020, 11:43 AM   #8
hub1home

I'm having that same problem about whether to get a .357 or 30-30. There are pluses to each one.
Old November 28, 2020, 08:21 PM   #9
Laz

I think that will be a huge win for Henry! Both options is terrific.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old November 29, 2020, 05:47 AM   #10
Tony Z

I will be buying two more Henry’s: their bolt action single shot (same length as Cricket) and a single shot shotgun (grandsons!).
Old November 29, 2020, 09:06 AM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
The only Henry I own is a black finished 22 with octagon barrel. It is super accurate shooting off hand , and I love it. I would buy a big frame steel Henry (30-30, 45-70) if it came in 444 Marlin. They also need a .35 and a .375 in that size. The pistol caliber Henry's are just too big for me, a lot of steel there, I'm sure they're as tough as a monkey wrench but I prefer the lighter weight of a 1892 clone for 357 and 44 Magnum.
I have the Henry 22" 45-70--it's da bomb. If you're proficient with irons the weight isn't as much as you think it is when you compare performance of shorter barrel/smaller PC's, in other words there's several ways to look at the overall equation.
Old November 29, 2020, 04:30 PM   #12
COSteve

For the life of me, I don't understand why they didn't have them from the beginning. For more that a decade they knew they were loosing sales without a side loading gate and they knew that the customers wanted them. As everyone else has them, it wasn't about some patent issue so the only thing left is corporate arrogance.

BTW, I posted a number of months ago on some forums about an exchange I had with their Pres, Anthony, were in I asked why they didn't have a traditional side gate model when they came out with the 'Tacticool' X model one. He responded with a 'stand by for a few months and I'm sure you'll be satisfied.' comment which I posted about here. So it's clear that the CS lady was just spouting the party line. Refusing to acknowledge a new product until it's official release.

When I first heard about them I was tempted to get one in 45 Colt as I could run 'Ruger Only' level loads in it. However, Henry still doesn't make the specific model I asked Anthony for; a Case Hardened, Side Gate Loading, Round Barreled, Carbine. Their version has the much heavier octagon barrel and as the Henrys are all overweight to begin with it's a deal breaker for me.

They quote their 20" Big Boy Color Case Hardened .38/.357 Side Gate at a whopping 7lbs 14oz! which is exactly 2lbs heavier, 59%, than my 20" Rossi .38/.357 at 5lbs 14oz. In fact, it's 4oz heavier than my 24" Rossi rifle with it's tang and globe sight set!! Nope, they look nice but it's not what I wanted as it's way too heavy.

A light weight levergun carbine (even if they call their's a 'rifle' and the 16" model a 'carbine') is a failure if it isn't light weight. If I was going to lug around that much weight, I'd much rather have my Rossi rifle with it's 30" sight radius for much, much longer accurate shooting.

To think that they believed that they could impose their opinion on the buying public and tell us what we want is nothing new in corporate America. And unfortunately, it's not just in the corporate world. Slow Joe and the Commie are just getting started.
Old November 29, 2020, 07:53 PM   #13
stagpanther

I have a lot of respect for your opinion Steve--and I have or have had a few of both Henry's and Rossi's--and while the Rossi' are nice shooters once you get them tuned, they simply are not in the same class of over-all quality and workmanship--and especially customer service--as Henrys are IMO. If you have a problem with a Rossi--you'll be lucky if you can connect with Jose who doubles selling cigars in a cabana on South Beach in Miami.
Old November 29, 2020, 08:13 PM   #14
musicmatty

Quote:
They quote their 20" Big Boy Color Case Hardened .38/.357 Side Gate at a whopping 7lbs 14oz! which is exactly 2lbs heavier, 59%, than my 20" Rossi .38/.357 at 5lbs 14oz. In fact, it's 4oz heavier than my 24" Rossi rifle with it's tang and globe sight set!! Nope, they look nice but it's not what I wanted as it's way too heavy.
Yes...It is heavier than other levers do to it’s thicker wood and barrel. My Henry side gate 3030 is 3/4 pound heavier than my Winchester 3030 I believe. The trade-off is, eats up the recoil nicely.

It’s certainly not up to me to make anyone love it or hate it. But for me personally, Henry’s craftsmanship makes for one awesome hunting rig.

Old November 29, 2020, 09:14 PM   #15
Road_Clam

Some interesting bitter history between Henry and Winchester. Probably has a lot to do with why Henry has resisted for over a century from adding a side load gate.

https://www.theburningplatform.com/2...y-henry-rifle/
Old December 21, 2020, 03:21 PM   #16
Kirrich

About two years ago, I emailed Henry, asking if they would ever make a side loading gate and the Prez said they would NEVER make a Henry with a side loading gate.
NEVER say NEVER!!!
Old December 21, 2020, 05:27 PM   #17
Sarge

Henry will sell a bunch more lever actions with the addition of a loading gate.
Old December 21, 2020, 06:50 PM   #18
Scorch

Quote:
New from Henry
Yawn. Yeah, so what.