The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 19, 2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Petar

Blank gun-slide doesn't cycle properly

Hello everybody,

I recently got my Ekol Firat Magnum 9mm P.A.K. blank gun,and me and few of my friends want to make short fan made movie with it.
We planning to use it in our apartment,but considering how loud it is,we decided to take out a small amount off gun powder from cartridge,so it will be a bit quieter.
Everything went great,sound was great,not too loud,not too quiet,and there was even small flash.
However,only thing that didn't go well was slide,which didn't move/cycle,so there were no shell ejecting and no slide lock.
I was looking for solution online,and I found one video that explains why blank guns won't cycle,and one of the reasons was low amount of gun powder,and strong guide rod spring.
I got an idea,and i was thinking about replacing original guide rod spring,with my airsoft 92FS which is a 2 inch longer,and it's much softer.
I didn't want to shoot with it before i check will it work with you guys.
So,what's your opinion about it,will it work and will the gun cycle and lock properly or will it damage the slide/internal parts?

Kind regards!
Old July 19, 2018, 03:06 PM   #2
RickB

Non-guns engineered specifically for blank use should function properly without modification; did you try contacting the dealer or manufacturer?
Old July 19, 2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

RickB, it didn't work because he didn't use the proper ammunition, he downloaded the 9mm blanks.

Petar, there is no way anyone can tell you what will happen. As far as I know, the slides on all blank-firing pistols are made of zamack (also called "pot metal"). It's a low-strength alloy that's mostly made up of zinc. The recoil spring that came in the gun was engineered to function with the ammunition that is sold for the gun. Once you depart from the engineered parameters, you are into experimental territory.

It will probably be okay, but much would depend on both (a) how much powder you removed from the blanks, and (b) how much softer the airsoft recoil spring is. We certainly can't give you a definitive answer to a question that involves two unknown variables.
Old July 19, 2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Petar

Hello Rick,

Gun works fine when I don't take out gun powder.
But since we plan to shoot indoors,we can't have such loud gunshots,so we took gun powder out to make it more quiet.
However there is not enough power (gun powder) to push slide all the way back.
I saw one guy on Youtube who said that this is common problem with blank guns,even if the gun powder wasn't extracted.
He also said that the gun won't lock back/cycle if the guide rod spring is too hard.
Then i realized i could put weaker/softer guide rod spring from my airsoft pistol into blank gun.
However,that weaker spring from my airsoft gun is 2 inches longer then blank gun,but it may work.

I'm just afraid it will break or damage slide or internal parts if i put weaker spring.

EDIT:Hi Aguila,
You wrote post while i was writing this,so I saw your post a bit late.
Anyhow yes,i know they are made out of zinc metal,which is low quality.
I was hoping i could make it work,but I'm not sure because of zinc and i completely agree with all you wrote.
Anyway thanks for help!

Last edited by Petar; July 19, 2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old July 19, 2018, 05:24 PM   #5
craddleshooter

If the locking lugs are removed to fire blanks will this really mess up the gun?
Would it ever be able to fire live rounds again? What would happen if a live round was fired without the locking lugs?
Old July 19, 2018, 06:17 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

It's a BLANK gun.
Denis
Old July 19, 2018, 06:32 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Doesn't anyone read the question before answering any more? From the opening post:

Quote:
I recently got my Ekol Firat Magnum 9mm P.A.K. blank gun ... we decided to take out a small amount off gun powder from cartridge,so it will be a bit quieter.
Everything went great,sound was great,not too loud,not too quiet,and there was even small flash.
However,only thing that didn't go well was slide,which didn't move/cycle,so there were no shell ejecting and no slide lock.
http://www.historicreplicaguns.com/b...m92-blued.html

Old July 20, 2018, 05:53 AM   #8
cecILL

Ear plugs?
Old July 20, 2018, 08:59 AM   #9
Walt Sherrill

Maybe a DIFFERENT blank gun. Some "starter" guns can still be found, and some of them use .22 blank rounds.

It may also be possible to use a SMART PHONE to generate the sound of a gun, by recording it (or getting a recording) and playing it back when a "start" is needed.
Old July 20, 2018, 09:32 AM   #10
Sgt127

Unfortunately, once you start changing the energy of the rounds (by removing powder) everything mechanical changes. Balancing the recoil spring along with the weight of the slide to get reliable functioning may be tricky. Or, as has been mentioned, may damage the gun.

A .22 blank revolver would solve the problem as a revolver doesn’t care how much energy the fired round produces. Not sure if that would work for you from a visual standpoint though.
Old July 20, 2018, 09:49 AM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I happen to have a 1911 blank gun chambered in 9mm P.A.K. and I can assure you that it's LOUD. I wouldn't think of touching it off indoors without wearing full hearing protection (preferably both ear plugs and muffs), no more than I'd want to fire a .45 ACP indoors without hearing protection. I can appreciate the desire to reduce the sound level, and reducing the strength of the recoil spring is a possible way to balance out the operation of the firearm with a reduced-power load.

That said, you can't reduce the weight/mass of the slide. The amount of powder you leave in the cases has to be sufficient to move that mass, and the recoil spring has to be strong enough to cycle the slide and return the next round to battery. I don't know if it's possible to make that happen after removing sufficient powder that you can fire the gun indoors without hearing damage.

For the purpose of making the movie, Petar and his companions might find it easier to get some flesh-colored ear plugs they can wear when filming the scene(s) that involve firing the gun.
Old July 20, 2018, 01:00 PM   #12
RickB

Or, simulate a little recoil and just add sound effects.
I've seen more than one movie with a scene where someone is supposed to be shot and gun's hammer wasn't cocked.
When Jules shoots "Flock of Seagulls" in Pulp Fiction, there's only the sound of a gunshot, with no recoil, muzzle flash, or smoke.
Old July 20, 2018, 01:21 PM   #13
Petar

Thanks everyone for answers.
I will try only one shot with softer spring,and see how it goes.
I also wanted to use same technique for just shooting indoors,so i don't have to go to shooting alley over winter.
Anyway,do you guys know,could i use this silicone oil for my blank gun:
http://www.taiwangun.com/en/co2-i-lu...-pro-tech-guns
I used it for my Co2 Air Pistol,and it get kind of rusted,so I'm a bit afraid to use it on this one.
Kind regards,
Petar
Old July 20, 2018, 04:01 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Petar, you could probably use that silicone oil, but your blank gun is made of metal, not plastic, and it doesn't have any rubber seals to maintain. I don't know how well silicone airgun oil lubricates metal.

Am I correct in guessing that you are located in Europe, not the United States? For a blank gun, I would be perfectly comfortable using 3-in-1 household oil (or whatever is the equivalent in your location, if not the U.S.), sewing machine oil, or synthetic motor oil. Any regular oil will be fine, even automatic transmission fluid would be okay.
Old July 20, 2018, 07:14 PM   #15
Petar

Aguila,yes I'm in Europe,Croatia.
Hmm,from all of those oils you mentioned,I only have oil for door knobs,but I guess it won't work.
Next week,I'm gonna get some ammo for my gun,and I'll buy oil in gun shop.
EDIT:Is it possible that gun will rust or get malfunction if I don't use oil?
I saw video in which guy said he hasn't cleaned blank gun for 2 weeks,and it get rusted?
EDIT 2:I just remembered that I have old silicone oil for firearms which I used for my Co2 airgun.
I looked a bit online and i found it in this shop:
https://www.kytt.eu/en/stil-crin-gun-oil-125ml.html
Description doesn't say much,but you may know is it good for blank gun?
However,I must say,that my Co2 airgun got a bit rusted while i was using it.

Last edited by Petar; July 20, 2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old July 20, 2018, 07:57 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petar
Hmm,from all of those oils you mentioned,I only have oil for door knobs,but I guess it won't work.
Door knob oil is probably close to our brand name "3-In-1", which is nothing but a common, household utility oil. It is used to oil things like hinges and doorknobs. For a blank-firing gun that will be perfect. It absolutely is not necessary to go to a gun store and buy an expensive "gun" oil.
Old July 20, 2018, 10:23 PM   #17
Sgt127

Europe’s version of our 3-1 oil is Ballistol. Can you find that? Really good all purpose cleaner, lubricant and rust preventative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 75AD02CE-383C-4357-8192-9910883D94E9.jpeg (40.7 KB, 5 views)
Old July 21, 2018, 07:42 AM   #18
Petar

Aguila,I found oil that I bought for my Co2 air gun,which is designed for weapons.
Should i use it for my gun,or should I use that door knob oil?

Sgt127,I found that Ballistol in local shop,but like i said,i found weapon oil,but I'm not sure will it work as good as Ballistol or door knob oil.

Here is a link for that oil,so please take a look guys:
https://www.kytt.eu/en/stil-crin-gun-oil-125ml.html
Old July 21, 2018, 10:12 AM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I'm certain that any oil made for firearms will be good for your blank-firing pistol. In the final analysis, oil is oil. Different oils may have a different viscosity (thickness) and different chemicals added to it but, in the end, it's oil.

It isn't as critical as you seem to be worrying about. If you read a lot of gun forums, some people want to use only Ballistol, others use only RemOil, others use only a Hoppes gun oil, someone else says you have to use Gun Butter (a brand of gun oil) ... and then there are many people who have been happily using sewing machine oil, "door knob" oil (3-in-1), or automotive motor oil for years, and their guns still shoot.

It isn't rocket science, and a blank-firing replica isn't a high-priced, custom firearm. Any oil is better than no oil.
Old July 21, 2018, 01:43 PM   #20
Hdonly

I wouldn't be so quick to claim that zinc alloy isn't strong enough to be used in a real firearm.
Show me any other gun that can hold up to what these guys do to a Hipoint.

https://youtu.be/AbvvurXmAmg
Old July 21, 2018, 02:41 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

I'm not a big fan of the use of zinc alloys in firearms, but there's no denying that it is used, sometimes to good effect, in firearms.

As pointed out, HiPoint has made a name for itself (such as it is) by making firearms with significant portions of them made from zinc alloy. But it's not just found in HiPoints. At one time or another, firearms with zinc alloy components have worn Walther, S&W, Gyrojet, Phoenix Arms, Henry Repeating Arms (and other) brands.
Old July 27, 2018, 12:59 PM   #22
Petar

Hello again guys.
Yesterday I bought some Sellier & Bellot 9mm P.A.K. ammo.
Today I tried shoot with my blank gun and i was using ''modify'' ammo,as you may know i took some gun powder from cartridge and then it has optimal sound-not to loud,not to quiet.
I tried using that softer airsoft spring that i put into a blank gun.
When i install that guide rod spring,i could pull slide back,and i could pull it much,much,much easier,almost like it wasn't there.
However,surprisingly,even with that spring,the gun wasn't cycling normally.
There was a bang and little flame came out of top (gun is top fire,not front fire) but it still wasn't cycling normally.
I modify cartridge with 80% of gun powder and it worked,with both softer and original spring.
I noticed (with softer spring)that i can pull slide all the way back,and it stays there,so i need to pull it forward to work,while when i use original it goes in front automatically.
I know I'm experimenting with this gun,maybe too much,but not only that we need it to use it on fan made movie,but I like it so much that i want to use gun to shoot indoors because i really like it.
All i need want is that gun cycle with modded ammo,and has that optimal sound.
Do you guys have any ideas how to do that?
Kind regards!
Old July 27, 2018, 02:30 PM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I think you need to experiment, to find the best balance between a lighter recoil spring and reduced-power ammunition. The airsoft spring is too weak, and the original spring is too strong. Can you obtain a replacement recoil spring for the blank gun? If so, then you can proceed by cutting off one coil and test firing with modified ammunition.

I went through a similar process when I tried to find a recoil spring that would allow a Commander-size 1911 to function with .380 ACP (9mm Kurz) ammunition. I started with 9mm ammunition downloaded to .380 ACP power. Then I started with a standard Commander recoil spring and I cut off one coil at a time until the gun would fire and function. The standard-power recoil spring for a 9mm Commander is 16 pounds. I think I had to cut it down to 12 or 10 pounds before it would eject reliably, and cycling was VERY slow with such a weak spring.

In your situation, you have two variables: the ammunition power level, and the recoil spring. You have shown that 80% power ammunition will function with the standard recoil spring, so (again, IF you can obtain a spare spring to experiment with) modify some ammunition to 70 percent and see if that works. If not, cut off one coil and test again. If it works, reduce the load to 60 percent and repeat the test.

Who is the maker of your blank pistol? Is Ekol Firat a brand, or a model? Where are they located? If they are in Europe, it shouldn't be difficult for you to buy a spare recoil spring or two for experimenting.

I am curious how you reduced the load in the ammunition. The 9mm PAK ammunition I know of does not appear to be easily modified.

Old July 27, 2018, 03:49 PM   #24
Petar

Hi Aguila,

hmmm,I will look up on shop,but I doubt that i will find one that ships to Croatia.
However,I will try to find spring in either airsoft (harder spring this time) or some other hardware store spring that will be use for experimenting.
I think it shouldn't be THAT hard to find one,or at least i hope.
As for my blank gun,the Ekol Voltran is brand,and the model is Firat Magnum.
They are Turkish manufacturer.
I reduce load of ammo by simply make a little hole on (green part)top with wine bottle opener,and simply ''shake'' out gun powder.
Hole is small enough to take out powder,and it's almost impossible to fall out if you don't shake it up and down.

Last edited by Petar; July 27, 2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old July 27, 2018, 08:21 PM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

I don't really know a lot about blank ammo, but I suspect you need to reseal the hole in the top of the cartridge if you want things to have a chance of working correctly.

I don't know how to do that safely.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to buy ear plugs?