The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 9, 2018, 09:51 AM   #1
458winshooter

A hunting idea for thought

Hey folks I have been pondering the thought of an attractant for deer and wonder what you think.Now here in Tennessee we are not allowed to hunt over bait however,you are allowed to use attractants.I have tried doe estrus with no luck so what about a saline solution.We all know deer like salt licks and mineral stones so what about mixing up a very heavy salt spray to put on things like stumps or deadfall or near fallen acorns.Thoughts,ideas,or advice?
Old July 9, 2018, 10:32 AM   #2
Pahoo

Masking your smell is just as important.

Quote:
Thoughts,ideas,or advice?
They also like the smell of apples. I thinks it's just as important to cover up your "Stink" and there are a number of products that are made to do so. In fact, there are a number of tricks you can use. When I was active in bow-hunting. I use to find some fresh ground moss and rub it all over me. When I got back to my truck, I would change my outer hunting clothes and put them in a plastic bag with apples. I always stored them outside. When I got back to the field, I would put them back on. I waited for the apples to start getting bad before I changed them out. I also used a ground blind and there were a few times when deer actually rubbed up against the blind walls.

By my observation, they don't like smells that are out of place. and then wind direction is important. ……

Be Safe !!!
Old July 9, 2018, 11:40 AM   #3
jmr40

I don't know how well that would work, but it might. But I'd run the idea by a game warden before I tried it. At times there is a fine line between an attractant and bait. I'd make sure which side of the line that would be on.

Winston Churchill
Old July 9, 2018, 12:00 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

A saline solution would probably be considered bait. Heavy salt spray would be unusual for Bambi to be smelling. It might attract or it might repel him. Might do both.
You'd be way better to find a nice oak tree or other nut bearing tree to set up your blind near. Bambi likes nuts. Especially acorns.
Mind you, knowing the trails that are being used between food, water and bed is best.
Doe estrus only works when Bambi is looking for girls.
Spaces after punctuation.
Old July 9, 2018, 01:16 PM   #5
458winshooter

Food for thought

There's another idea, apple juice!
Old July 9, 2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I highly doubt that spraying salt water will attract deer.

However, it is probably legal in TN.

However too, it is certainly illegal in some places, such as my native NY, where it is illegal to place salt or mineral attractants on ANY "land inhabited by deer" EVER and this specifically includes any spray which might entice the deer to "feed" on the item sprayed.
Old July 9, 2018, 04:15 PM   #7
std7mag

I BELIEVE it it legal in PA to use an attractant (doe/buck urine) as long as your not in a cronic wasting desease zone.

As far as salt licks and such your allowed to use them before/after season for game cameras. PA i think has a distance from any bait if your hunting.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 9, 2018, 04:33 PM   #8
FITASC

Using salt in concentration is a great way to permanently kill the vegetation in the area nearby as well.

Just wondering (since all of my hunting has been done out West), what's wrong with actually going after the deer? (Ya know, hunting?? )
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 9, 2018, 06:43 PM   #9
turkeestalker

I remember a product called Deer Cane which I think is still available.
It's basically a heavy salt/mineral brine that you would pour onto the ground much like a mineral or salt block melting into the ground with the rain.
Not so sure it would work to just spritz it about, but who knows?
Mineral and salt blocks were not considered bait and were legal in Missouri a few years back, not sure about that these days with the diseases out there and all.
Old July 9, 2018, 07:38 PM   #10
Capt Rick Hiott

The liquid from sour corn.
Vanilla is another good one......
Old July 10, 2018, 04:31 AM   #11
Mobuck

"Deer-cane"
I used the stuff for years until it became illegal to use here. I've seen deer gouge out holes 3' across and 2' deep within a couple of years using this stuff. The location becomes a "meeting place" so to speak as nearly every deer comes by for a lick or sniff.
Old July 10, 2018, 11:34 AM   #12
458winshooter

Why not you know hunt?

I would be curious to see how you would do it on heavily forrested public land where you have 2,000 hunters drawn on a quota hunt on the WMA I am talking about. Its not spot and stalk as you bump into other hunters too often any way. Tree stand and ground blinds are how it is done and it's not uncommon for hunters to deploy insight of one another.79,000 acres may sound like a lot but there is active logging there in several places and deer don't take to hanging around log trucks or heavy equipment so some areas are worthless to actually much of it is worthless to try.