The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 15, 2020, 03:46 PM   #51
Hawg

Lithium grease is an exception. Depending on it's level of refining petro based fouling is harder to clean than vegetable based fouling. Petroleum jelly is another exception. I use wads lubed with olive oil and they don't get rank. I use about a 60/40 beeswax olive oil mix for bullet lube. I never used a mix for patches.
Old March 24, 2020, 05:50 AM   #52
Derringeer

What will generate highest pressure, if both charges are ignited simultaneously or if the rear charge is ignited first?
Old March 25, 2020, 04:09 PM   #53
Hawg

If both charges ignite simultaneously you might have a problem. If the rear charge ignites first you will have a problem.
Old March 29, 2020, 04:26 PM   #54
Derringeer

Maybe it’s time for an update.. I made a barrel with a tapered chamber in the lathe, and it works, I havn’t had any issues yet. But one has to be careful when loading the gun, since the powder charge sets the spacing and you don’t want to charge it over the tapered line but neither do you want to leave an air gap.

The reloading of an untapered barrel is in that sense much easier and more foolproof.

I can’t understand how the old superposed guns could possibly work. Without a tapered chamber the compression of the next charge(s) is a big issue, atleast based on my experience of it.
Old March 29, 2020, 04:46 PM   #55
Derringeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
If both charges ignite simultaneously you might have a problem. If the rear charge ignites first you will have a problem.
I have been thinking of these scenarios.. In theory if an ignition would occur simultaneously the biggest issue may be that the recoil of the front load prevents the rear load from pushing the rear ball forward, and therefore making an extreme peak in pressure in the rear chamber until the front ball has left the muzzle.

If only the rear charge is ignited, it should basically be like firing of a double ball load, the only difference between an ordinary double ball load is that there is some gunpowder in-between the balls which doesn’t make that much of a difference regarding the weight anyway. So if the barrel can handle two balls (which shouldn’t be taken for granted either) it should be able to handle this scenario too, shouldn’t it? The issue I could think of is that, since there is gunpowder in-between the balls, when the rear charge is ignited it will initially propell the rear ball forward and therefore compressing the gunpowder of the front charge then it will smash into the front ball which will make a sudden change in the pressure curve, so that the front ball will basically act like a squib load.

But what do I know, it’s all speculations.
Old March 30, 2020, 04:16 AM   #56
Hawg

I would tend to think with the powder charge it would be more akin to a triple ball load or even a barrel obstruction. Maybe the barrel can stand it and maybe it cant. The best way to find out is load it up and remotely fire the rear charge.
Old April 21, 2020, 01:51 PM   #57
jrothWA

I think there were patent drawings at theUS Patent offic..

where slow match connected thru the projectile and had a "pellet of powder"
between the adjoining projectiles.

Never saw any model that were made.

Fire the lead and let the match burn, what happens to the pellets that get compressed???

Tags
muzzleloader , rapid fire , speed loader