The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old June 8, 2012, 05:31 AM   #101
WESHOOT2

small point

At one point I had sixteen powder measures and none dispensed Unique consistently.
Old June 8, 2012, 08:00 AM   #102
Edward429451

16 measures and none would work for you? Cut the dose on your meds, LOL!

I wonder what you were trying for, that a .2 ES in variation was unacceptable? Since Unique works best with mid range loads I mean.
Old June 8, 2012, 08:09 AM   #103
Don P

Quote:
"The whole point is that Unique is not that difficult to meter if one has resonable equipment and technique."

And there are numerous people here, myself included, who have BOTH reasonable equipment and reasonable technique and still find Unique to be less than satisfactory and for those reasons we have abandoned it.

"There are lots of powders that measure more consistent than Unique."

Yes, there are. Finally it seems that you're willing to admit that. Maybe 50 - 60 years ago Unique was a much more attractive alternative powder when there were far fewer powders from which to choose. That lack of powders is why my old loading manuals show 2400 as a choice for lead bullet loads in the .38 Special.

Today, though, Unique... well, it's no longer unique. Many powders have surpassed it in metering accuracy and how cleanly they burn, and there are many that are just about as versatile as Unique. Plus many of the newer powders will give greater velocity with less powder.

Were I totally new to reloading, and looking coldly at those four factors alone, I would NEVER select Unique as a primary choice for handloading.

The only reason I can think of as to why so many still use it is because it's become a habit. Nothing more.
+1 I concur with Mike here and I will ask why one would have to spend $250 for a Charge Master when every day equipment should suffice?
Lee states on there web sight that "Unique does not meter well". It must be true, other wise we all know in todays sue happy world Alliant would be all over Lee for stating that about Unique.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 8, 2012, 11:29 AM   #104
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, we've gone round and round on this subject, and I don't think that anyone's positions on the subject are going to change, so I think this is a good time to shut this down.

Good discussion, but I don't think anyone is going to be altering their views any time soon.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread