The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 10, 2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

SIG P226 (MK25) Barrel finish

I have a SIG P226 E2. From when it first came out (it's been discontinued and is now standard) and all I've done is shoot about 3k rounds through it and changed the E2 grips to the normal grips. I have pretty big hands.

What I can I use to finish the barrel?

I called SIG a few minutes ago and they said I can send it in for $49.95 and $14.95 return shipping to have it finished. I then asked if they could go over the top of the barrel's chamber like the MK25 and he said "No." I asked again just in case and he said "No" again. I said, "alright, never mind then...thanks?" and we hung up...

So... what can I do/use to finish the barrel?

I've already prepared it for finishing so the smith at my second job can do it for me, however he quit. So now I have an ugly polished SIG barrel on my gun.
Old February 10, 2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Roughedge

You cant put any paint finishes on it as it will inpeed function and wear off. I just polished the barrel on my 229 and jeweled the hood and it looks good. It may can be blued but may I dont think it will last.
Old February 11, 2014, 06:52 AM   #3
Old Stony

You can just drop it off at any gun shop that does bluing and they wouldn't charge you much to drop it in when they do their bluing. It will show some use along the way to the bluing, but it's an option. I have an old 226 that's had thousands of rounds through it and the blued barrel still doesn't look too bad.
Old February 11, 2014, 09:48 AM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

Thanks guys.. Sent it off to Robar for some NP3 Plus.
Old March 6, 2014, 05:34 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

UPDATE:

It was sent back to me on the 27th of March and UPS lost my package. They're investigating it now apparently. So it's either going to stay "lost" forever or I'm going to take a while to get it. So, I just bought the MK25 barrel off ebay for $230 and it's on it's way to me now. I needed a barrel and might as well have gotten what I had originally wanted anyways for just $60 more I did that... I miss my P226 already and don't like it being barreless for this long.
Old March 7, 2014, 06:19 AM   #6
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Just send UPS the receipt for the one you purchased, their insurance will pay for it.
Old March 7, 2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Gunsmithing View Post
Just send UPS the receipt for the one you purchased, their insurance will pay for it.

Really? Where do I send that to? Or should I call them and ask them that?
Old March 7, 2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

UPS supposed to have a number to call on this. I've not had to turn in an insurance claim in a while, but since they admitted they lost it, their insurance will pay the insured value. In other words, if you insured it for $300, they will pay out $300.