The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 9, 2014, 02:28 PM   #1
lawdog2

Need a bit of info on a SR1911

I am going to buy a Ruger SR1911 Commander and I would like to know if anyone knows how high the front sight is? I am going to replace the stock Novak rear sight with another one that I have my eye on and I need the info on the front sight. Just in case I need to replace it as well. I Did try to contact Ruger about it but the tech I talked to didn't know how high it was and could not find out for their system who high it was. So any help will appreciated.

Last edited by lawdog2; February 9, 2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old February 9, 2014, 07:07 PM   #2
PetahW

1) You could hold off ordering the sights until you have the gun in your hot little hand, to measure the sight.

2) You could contact Novak about the app.

Good Luck.

Old February 10, 2014, 03:13 PM   #3
William T. Watts

Nothing wrong with a Novak sight, I'd use the Pistol first before thinking about replacing the factory sight which I consider to be a quality product! William
Old February 13, 2014, 10:41 AM   #4
LOUD

well just my two cents , I own a sr1911 Ive had it about year or so its as accurate as any 1911 Ive ever shot. You really need to get it in your hands ........................LOUD
Old February 13, 2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Gbnk82

I own a full size sr 1911 and it is a very accurate gun with the sights right out of the box I would put it up against 1911s that are in the 1000+ range with confidence.mine came with the novaks and they are excellent sights.i am considering upgrading to night sights though as I plan on making this my carry weapon.my advice is shoot it before you decride anything.i bet you will love it as is if not you will know for sure what you want changed on it
Old February 13, 2014, 11:00 AM   #6
geetarman

^^^^^^^ What these folks have said.

Try it first. You may find you don't need to change a thing.

I have both the commander and the full size and I don't want to change anything on them. They shoot just fine the way they are.

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 23, 2014, 12:10 AM   #7
lawdog2

Thank s ya'll for the information. I ended up getting a desert eagle 1911c. The place I was going to get it from sold it and could not tell me when they would get another.
Quote:
William T. Watts Nothing wrong with a Novak sight, I'd use the Pistol first before thinking about replacing the factory sight which I consider to be a quality product! William
I don't mind them either but I prefer a bit of elevation adjustment. I was going to get one from Kensight to replace it with. It is a novak sight as well but it has elevation and windage adjustments on it. It also has recesed sight blade on the rear sight instead of the regualr angled Novak.

But in all gents thank you for your help.