The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 18, 2002, 02:43 PM   #1
Camshaft

what have you kileld with a .22 colibri?

i got a henry pump .22 and have been having a blast shooting it in my yard with the .22 colibri rounds. i mainly shoot crows, rabbits, and squirrels because they are all nuisances. these rounds will penetrate a cat food can at 20 feet so i figure they are good to kill a small animal. am i correct in thinking this or would you consider it inhumane to shoot these at animals?

thanks.
Old May 18, 2002, 03:21 PM   #2
inGobwetrust

One squirrel and one mouse with the Super Colibris. Very close range out of my bedroom window with the squirrel. The mouse was half dead when my cat brought it to the doorstep so I just finished it off.
Old May 18, 2002, 05:11 PM   #3
49hudson

super colibri

Killed a crow at about 25 yds.
Old May 18, 2002, 05:24 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

No bird problems here, so no birds popped. Tried them on squirrels - very in-humane IMHO. Not enough smack to them. Remington 521 was the rifle used.

For mammals the CCI CB Longs work very well. Numerous squirrels killed with complete penetration being the norm. Have a 77/22 zeroed for the CB Longs at 25 feet.

Giz
Old May 18, 2002, 05:49 PM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Coupla Spruce/Blue Grouse - maybe 30' & DRT, but these "fools hens" croak pretty easy seemingly. Had a bud shoot one with a .22LR pistol - 50' out or so - thing dropped dead. We cleaned it a bit later & the bullet may have cut a 1/2 caliber graze through its thigh! Musta died from fright.

Colibris are nifty enough, but don't shoot normal point of aim & I'd use 'em in the pellet gun class = for anything squirrel-size up = go for a head shot or nuttin.
Old May 20, 2002, 09:48 AM   #6
MikeFromIowa

I have personally racked up a large tally of phone books and Sunday newspapers with those nifty little rounds.
--Mike From Iowa
Old May 20, 2002, 10:51 AM   #7
Remmy

noise level?

How loud is the colibri ammo? Would the super coilibri do better for squirrels? Its only ~150 fps faster, has 5 ft/lb more energy at the muzzle too...