The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 8, 2002, 10:54 AM   #1
Big Al

first turkey taken w/Hi-Point!

I haven't had a chance to get online since this happened (was in Lunchburg, VA taking care of a BB King concert), but here's what happened on my first time out chasing turkey!

Me and a bud started out at 5:00 AM and moved and set up several times. We heard one gobble at daybreak, but nothing else. We finally went to a spot almost at the top of a hill that was really good for deer and squirrel, and started calling. My buddy was to my left, about 25 yards, sitting behind a huge tree. He was watching to the left, and I was watching to the right. We called for about 20 minutes, and heard nothing. We were getting ready to stop calling and pack up, when I happened to glance behind me.

Five jakes came over the top of the hill and made a beeline for my decoy below us. They were literally on top of my buddy, who was oblivious to their presence and calling away. All five jakes were right up against the tree, cautiously poking their heads around the tree trying to get a peek at the "hen" on the other side. The biggest one must have seen his striker moving and let out a loud "puck" before running up almost to the top of the hill and stopping to wait on his buds. The other four birds followed, looking confused.

This whole time I was trying to swing around without making too much commotion, but being left handed and trying to swing around and shoot over my left shoulder with some semblance of stealth was unbelieveably difficult. About the time I heard the "puck" I was in position.

I was using a Hi-Point 995 Carbine "police package" in 9mm covered with a span-do-flage gun sock and topped with a BSA 4-16X 50mm scope. While I was manuvering, I had the presence of mind to drop the scope to 4X since I figured the shot would be less than 50 yards. I lined up on the biggest bird and squeezed, sending a 124 grain Speer Gold Dot +P through a spot about an inch below where the wing connected to the body. The 15&1/4# jake hit the ground, quivering where he once stood. The shot was about 45-50 yards.

Upon examining the bird, the bullet had left a perfect hole going in and an exit wound about the size of a 50 cent piece coming out. The shot had been slightly upward, and the bullet had exited right below the "plate" of muscle and bone in the back.

Yeah, I know it wasn't a "real" gobbler (the beard was an awe-inspiring 4&1/2" and pretty much non-existent spurs), but it was my first turkey, taken on my first time out turkey hunting. I've got two more weeks to try and take a "real" gobbler now.

I wish I could have got a picture or something, but since I don't have access to a scanner it wouldn't make much of a difference. But I figured I'd tell the story anyway and hope the rest of the Hi-Point carbine fans get a kick out of it!
Ruger 22/45 - "The Toy"

"Oh yeah? Well I talk LOOOUDLY! And I carry a BIIIGGER stick! And I'll use it, too." -Yoesemite Sam
Old May 8, 2002, 11:29 AM   #2
USP45

Congrats on your first bird. When they gobble at you in the morning dark, it really gets your blood boiling, eh?

Up here in hell, uh i mean Massachusetts, we can only use shotguns w/ #4 or #6 shot to hunt turkey (or a bow.) Last Saturday I was unable to call a group of 5 any closer to me then about 75m. If we could use a rifle to hunt turkey I'd have gotten one too.

~USP
Old May 8, 2002, 01:57 PM   #3
AKurat

You shoot turkeys with scoped 9mm's? LOL
Old May 8, 2002, 02:01 PM   #4
Ewok_Guy

I hunt turkeys with a gold plated Desert Eagle.

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Old May 8, 2002, 08:45 PM   #5
Tropical Z

Hi-Points are ssooooooo awesome!
I've always wondered about hunting gobblers with something other than a shotgun.
Old May 8, 2002, 09:46 PM   #6
Long Path

Congrats!

I personally think that you had a marvelous arm for turkey huntin'. How much meat damage?

Moving this thread to The Hunt.
Old May 8, 2002, 11:45 PM   #7
_YoYo_

Ewok_Guy, me too! The sweet thing about the .50AE is when you miss, the percussion will stun the bird long enough to grab it up.. But you must be careful when turkey hunting with the desert eagle.. be sure to shoot away from foilage, the muzzle blast will start a fire from 100 yds..

Here is a picture of me turkey hunting with my DE..

Old May 9, 2002, 01:04 AM   #8
DadOfThree

WAY TO GO

"Yeah, I know it wasn't a "real" gobbler (the beard was an awe-inspiring 4&1/2" and pretty much non-existent spurs), but it was my first turkey, taken on my first time out turkey hunting"

Any turkey harvested and put in the freezer is better than most people do. You probably weren't planning on eating the beard or spurs anyway. Good Job!
James Madison: The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
Mark Douglass
Old May 9, 2002, 08:48 AM   #9
Gewehr98

Once I get over giggling...

From the thought of a huge 4-16 power scope with a 50mm objective lens mounted on a little 9mm polymer carbine, I'll say "Congratulations, and Happy Thanksgiving!"

(Wondering if the turkey was dumbfounded at the sight of that scope/gun combination, perhaps in his own giggling fit before he realized he was gonna get shot with the thing?)

You may want to see what brand of bipod fits that Hi-Point. Could be on to something, perhaps an "Interdiction" model?

Neural Misfires
Old May 9, 2002, 08:53 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

One thing I can tell ya about a 9" beard and long spurs: That bird is definitely not as tender as his younger brother!

, Art
Old May 14, 2002, 10:42 AM   #11
griz

Congratulations. Enjoy the meal. Unlike the birds Yo yo shoots, you will have to cook yours.
Old May 14, 2002, 04:31 PM   #12
Big Al

yo-yo, what is that, a dragon's breath round? I've heard of those things...
Ruger 22/45 - "The Toy"

"Oh yeah? Well I talk LOOOUDLY! And I carry a BIIIGGER stick! And I'll use it, too." -Yoesemite Sam
Old May 14, 2002, 10:15 PM   #13
_YoYo_

Big Al,

You blew my cover..... yeah thats a 12 GA dragon breath... but that is close to what my DE looks like.. hehe except I dont have the balls to shoot my DE from the hip, that would be suicide..

Over
Old May 15, 2002, 08:15 AM   #14
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Big Al, Dragon's Breath is a 12 ga shell filled with (IIRC) magnesium chunks. When you shoot it, it gives you a streak of fire. I've never shot one, so have no idea of the actual performance. Pictures look impressive though.

Giz
Old May 15, 2002, 11:42 AM   #15
Ewok_Guy

Good God, man! That thing looks like a highly accesorized flame-thrower!!

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez