The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2019, 02:15 PM   #1
rpseraph

Mossberg 500 "Tactical"

Found a great deal on a Mossberg 500 Tactical, or what the ad is calling a "M500 Persuader"...

LINK
Specifications
Gauge - 12
Chamber - 3 in.
Capacity - 8 shot
Barrel Type - Heat Shield
Barrel - 20 in.
Sight - ghost ring
Chokes - cylinder bore
Barrel Finish - matte blue
Stock Finish - black synthetic
Weight - 7 lbs.
Features dual extractors, positive steel-to-steel lockup, twin action bars, and an anti-jam elevator ensure smooth operation
Top mounted safety provides for ambidextrous operation

Anyone have any issues with this particular model? That barrel shroud?
Don't just train your trigger finger... train how to use your medkit, train your mind with books, train your soul in church, train to be a better spouse, train to be a better parent. Be well-rounded, the world needs you to be.
Old June 14, 2019, 08:58 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Dead horse gun. Everyone has owned one of these or a Remington 870 for the last 60 years. Yes it's reliable. Only real issue is the safeties on some of them crack in use and that's why you can buy metal replacements for under $15.
Old June 15, 2019, 07:46 AM   #3
Auto5

Mossberg 500 has been my home defense shotgun for the past 20 years. I've tried all manner of "enhancements": folding AR style stock, pistol grip, Raptor grip, lights, lasers, red dots, etc., but I keep coming back to that same basic configuration because it works.
Old June 15, 2019, 01:35 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

A Mossberg 500 Tactical and an M500 Persuader are the same thing. Used to be that you could get one with a wood stock and phosphated metal that took an M-16 bayonet for riots too.
Old July 4, 2019, 08:04 AM   #5
smee78

A solid gun at a good price, I use a 500 as my garage shotgun and don't have any worries about it.
Old July 4, 2019, 08:49 AM   #6
HOTSHOT45ACP

I found a ATI 500 Tactical Cruiser @ my LGS. I traded 6 shot guns in various forms of repair & $150.00 dollars to buy it.I spent another $100.00 for a laser/ light combo. I bought one of those bore laser lights to sight it in for 25 feet (the longest shot from the bedroom).I found out without the laser you can miss when "shooting from the hip"!!!!

Last edited by HOTSHOT45ACP; July 4, 2019 at 01:41 PM.