The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 19, 2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Prof Young

Little house in the woods . . . .

So the guy who lets me hunt his land let me build a ground blind. I just hauled all the scrap lumber in the garage out to the woods with nails, hammer and chain saw. Didn't have a plan, just eye balled it all and made a "house." Did have to buy some plywood for the roof. Guy in the pic below is my buddy Harold whose land I hunt. We seen huge turkey tracks here and there are deer tracks less than 20 yards from the blind. Life is good.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ground blind.JPG (140.9 KB, 400 views)
Old January 19, 2017, 02:08 PM   #2
Erno86

That's some deery looking country in the background. What are you gonna name your house? Deery Lodge maybe? I wish I were that fortunate to have a spread like that to hunt. How many huntable acres does the property have? Any corn or soybean fields on it? Does it have a swamp? I love to hunt in an around swamps.

Good luck,

Erno

--- George Orwell
Old January 19, 2017, 03:05 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Not bad. You should see my dads blind. This guy built this 6x6x8 box with a slanted roof out of tongue and groove. It has a rubber roof covering so it will never leak and 2 side windows 8 inches x 18 inches and a front window 14inches x30. All the windows are hinged so they fold up or down.

Well the guy hunted in this blind on public/international paper land for a few years and decided it wasn't good enough. My dad watched over the blind to make sure trees didn't fall on it. One day the guy said he wanted a new one and was going to haul that one into a clearing and burn it down.

Instead my dad asked about it and the guy helped him move it on to private property. I joke with my dad that i'm going to install insulation and electricity.

Good luck with your new blind.
Old January 19, 2017, 03:17 PM   #4
Doyle

Well, since I see snow on the ground I guess you don't have to deal with the kind of things you would have to deal with if you put a similar place on the ground here in the south. You'd have to deal with 3 types of venomous snakes, various types of stinging insects that build nests in such places, scorpions, etc. Lots of fun.
Old January 19, 2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Blindstitch

Any chance you bow hunt? That would be a good size window to shoot out of.
Old January 19, 2017, 05:39 PM   #6
Sevens

Haha, great picture. His downsized chainsaw makes him look like Andre' the Giant!
Old January 19, 2017, 08:34 PM   #7
BIGR

That will work.
Old January 19, 2017, 09:15 PM   #8
Prof Young

Yes and. . . .

Let see, yes the field this looks out on to rotates between soybeans and corn. The "little" chain saw is mine cause it's mostly an around the house garden chainsaw and the guy holding it is a big guy. Um, yes I bow hunt (crossbow) and the window is covered with "shoot through" camo netting. Yes, I am fortunate to have Harold as a friend. He has a lot of wooded land and I have several deer stands scattered throughout. The funny thing is that Harold doesn't hunt. The turkeys move around but once you find them it's more like turkey shopping than turkey hunting. Life is good.

Live well, be safe

Prof Young
Old January 19, 2017, 10:30 PM   #9
big al hunter

Do yourself a favor and make the roof watertight. Look around for Owens Corning weather lock G. It is self adhesive and seals around nails. 1 roll will do it, about $85 at Lowe's or Home Depot.

And good luck with the new spot.
Old January 20, 2017, 11:23 AM   #10
doofus47

well, I'm jealous...

FWIW: Big Al's suggestion is very very valid.
Old January 20, 2017, 10:31 PM   #11
Prof Young

Big al hunter . . .

Well, at $85 then the roof would be worth more than the whole rest of the blind. I do plan on putting some TWP (Total Wood Protection) on when the weather dries out. I have half a gallon left from last time I stained the deck and that stuff is really water proof. Bow season is over here so the next I'm I'll really use it will be spring turkey gun season.

Life is good.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old January 21, 2017, 12:06 PM   #12
Rembrandt

Very nice Prof Young, you'll enjoy it.

I built one, only put it up as a tower blind.....kids use it as a playhouse in the off season, hunting blind in the fall. Unfortunately the cost got out of control. Not Trump tower but it'll do....

Old January 23, 2017, 01:31 AM   #13
bamaranger

I like prof's better.......I'd be concerned the county would levy a tax on that fancy one!!!!! With metal stairs, it would likely pass fire inspection.

Heck, when do you put the elevator in?
Old January 24, 2017, 12:05 AM   #14
reynolds357

I have a tower stand with an elevator.
Old January 26, 2017, 02:47 PM   #15
NHSHOOTER

Hey reynolds357, We would like to see pictures of the elevator..
Old January 26, 2017, 10:50 PM   #16
Prof Young

Shingles for the roof.

Guy whose land I built this on has a bunch of asphalt shingles going to waste in a shed. Letting me have the for Little House In the Woods. Tar paper too. Gotta love that.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 27, 2017, 08:23 AM   #17
Lumber

Original poster thats a fine looking deer house man! for sure have to tell us how it goes!

Rembrant whats the heating bill on that thing?
Old January 27, 2017, 09:29 AM   #18
FITASC

I'm just amazed you had that much scrap lumber in your garage! Next will come some discarded LazBoys, a wood stove and a big screen TV - oh wait, that's for the ice fishing houses!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 27, 2017, 04:03 PM   #19
Rembrandt

Don't think you want to move the fine furniture and amenities in until it's critter proof. Amazing what rodents, bugs, and furry creatures can do to a house in the woods. Make it too nice and the bureaucrats will assess it for property taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumber
Rembrant whats the heating bill on that thing?
Heat bill?......takes about one BBQ propane tank a year.

Old January 27, 2017, 04:41 PM   #20
Lumber

I might do that but for a ground blind.... Thing is ridiculous
Old January 27, 2017, 06:50 PM   #21
Blindstitch

That's one of the best and safest heaters to have. Shut off when tipped and yours has the fan in it. Plus they're a lot quieter than the open mr heaters.

It's a good way to keep kids from ruining your hunt saying it's to cold.
Old January 28, 2017, 04:00 PM   #22
reynolds357

I shall post you some pictures of the elevator.
I built it for a disabled hunter to use so he could hunt.
Old January 29, 2017, 07:43 PM   #23
Prof Young

FITASC . . .

Fit, well the truth is that a lot of the siding came from a bunch of old cedar landscape timbers that I ripped into one inch thick planks. That was the bulk of the building. But lotta scrap lumber came outta garage too.

I've lined the whole thing with black plastic to keep the wind out, have installed two folding chairs and a nice comfy lawn chair. Only got to use it for hunting two days before seasons were over this winter, but spring turkey is coming.

Life is good.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old January 29, 2017, 08:17 PM   #24
FITASC

Good for you for having such a great friend! I used to live out West with millions of gov't land. Now, where I live, it is all private and finding someone like you have is a stretch! Good luck in the Spring!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 31, 2017, 02:33 PM   #25
Husqvarna

damn you guys are fancy

I have paid to live in places not as nice as that, albeit in Thailand on the beach but still

this is considered a blind in Sweden

http://www.nysagat.se/wp-content/upl...2/DSC_8641.jpg

but there are those like above to, almost atleast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVKkVW-hYYA

almost atleast

dudes lugs around a 338lapua to!