The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 13, 2012, 07:07 PM   #51
Fishbed77

Here you go:

Old December 2, 2017, 06:44 PM   #52
Koolmoose

I was thinking of stainless AR's for around the world crusing in a high humidity environment in a slow trawler that would be an easy target for pirates. Are there any updates of information as this thread is guite old. Weight talked about in some of the above threads would not be considered a problem. Thanks.
Old December 2, 2017, 08:37 PM   #53
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolmoose
I was thinking of stainless AR's for around the world crusing in a high humidity environment in a slow trawler that would be an easy target for pirates.
Stainless steel still corrodes, it just corrodes less easily than other steels. I'd be willing to bet that a traditional mil-spec anodized aluminum-receiver AR would hold up better to corrosion than a stainless steel one, even in a marine environment.

On both of my Marine Corps infantry MEU(SOC) deployments, our company was the boat company, tasked to perform Zodiac boat raids. I cannot begin to count the number of times I fully submerged my M16A2 in salt water and then didn't get a chance to clean it until many hours later. And I don't remember ever experiencing any corrosion on the upper or lower receiver.

As others noted back in 2012, the only advantage of an AR with a stainless steel receiver would be increased weight and (subjectively) better looks. On a rifle you carry all the time (like you would if you were worried about a pirate attack), the former is a large disadvantage, and the latter isn't much of a priority.
Old December 2, 2017, 09:32 PM   #54
langenc

My Al model (25/45 w/ 20" barrel) weighs over 9#, ready to hunt. I dont know how much SS would add but any would be too much.
Old December 3, 2017, 07:15 AM   #55
Kreyzhorse

Would add weight and cost I'm not sure there would be any advantage to stainless verses aluminium.

Both of those factors seem to go against the reason the AR is popular to begin with.
Old December 3, 2017, 11:09 AM   #56
Geezerbiker

The cost seems to be the main reason. If it was only $40 to $60 more, I could see myself springing for stainless but as 3x or more the price, forget about it...

Tony
Old December 3, 2017, 11:16 AM   #57
Charlie98

I don't see a need... the parts that are necessarily made of steel are a bigger issue than the alloy receiver in a marine environment.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 3, 2017, 10:28 PM   #58
Koolmoose

Ok, thanks folks.
Steve