The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2023, 05:40 AM   #26
akinswi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I’d like to see that. I have only found one sizing die in my life that consistently gets the neck runout under 0.0015”. Every Redding die I’ve used gets the turned neck to 0.002” neck runout. So, maybe with 0 runout in the seater, I could get 0.002” runout at the bullet tip.

I measure with the 21st Century tool which shows near 0 runout on my gage pin.

Can you explain how you get those results?
Yes, I resize every case in the coax press. Then I use a lee Collet die for the necks. I give 1/2 turn then size again in the collet die on my first stage of my Dillion Press.

I have used a neck expander die in stage 1 and had similar results but Im currently using undersized mandrel to increase neck tension a bit in the Lee Collet.

I was using a Lee sizing die with the expander ball removed but on this batch I used a RCBS Small base sizer die with the expander ball. and I had 1 rd that was around 2 thousandths the rest were around 1.

I was very impressed with the RCBS Die.

I will try to PM a video

Last edited by akinswi; June 1, 2023 at 05:52 AM.
Old June 1, 2023, 08:28 PM   #27
Nathan

Akinski….

Thank you for the videos. I don’t think we are comparing apples to apples. That said, thank you for sharing your methods.
Old June 2, 2023, 06:15 AM   #28
akinswi

Nathan,

Your welcome.

One thing I did notice with most resizing dies that have an expander ball is that it did pull the necks off axis. I learned that from this forum.

I did several tests removing the expander ball and it helped. I did find lubing the case necks both inside and out helped alot in reducing runnout from the expander ball.

But the best I could ever achieve using only a resizing die with an expander ball and lubing the necks and a coax press was nothing better than 2thousandths runnout.

Will

Last edited by akinswi; June 2, 2023 at 06:28 AM.
Old June 4, 2023, 09:34 AM   #29
Nathan

Are you using an expander? If so, who’s?
Old June 4, 2023, 09:42 AM   #30
akinswi

The videos I sent you I used a RCBS Small Base Resizing die , So I was using the expander ball that came with the die. Then I used a Lee Collet Die to square up the necks.

But I can achieve same results with removing the expander ball. The reason I left the expander in the die is when it is removed the necks are undersized quite a bit , So when I size them with collet die, it takes more lube for the mandrel to be inserted in that case neck.

My runnout didnt get better or worse so I left expander in this die.
Old June 4, 2023, 04:26 PM   #31
RC20

Quote:
Are you using an expander? If so, who’s?

I run without expanders and run the cases through an M die, works great, I hate that pull on the expander balls.

I do keep a small cap of lube next to the press and dip the necks into it when I feel a bit of tug on the M die and that is good for another 3-5 cases though I tend to do it every 3.

I just got an RCBS Match bullet seater for the 6.5 x 47. Love it. Back when I built the 6.5 I could not find one, 6.5 x 47 is a bit of an undeserved market and for good reason, its not nearly as popular as 6.5 CM.

Biggest issue was when I found there were NO large primer cases for 6.5 x 47, and I was running out of small rifle primers. My brother bailed me out with some 1000 boxes of CCI and I have been able to get a few of the 100x 3 times now and I am holding my own with primer stock.

Lots of large rifle primers and I have a 6.5 CM barrel if I need to shift. Powder is harder to get but I have a good stock of it as I buy in 5 or 8 lb jugs if I can now.
Old June 4, 2023, 06:33 PM   #32
akinswi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
I run without expanders and run the cases through an M die, works great, I hate that pull on the expander balls.

I do keep a small cap of lube next to the press and dip the necks into it when I feel a bit of tug on the M die and that is good for another 3-5 cases though I tend to do it every 3.

I just got an RCBS Match bullet seater for the 6.5 x 47. Love it. Back when I built the 6.5 I could not find one, 6.5 x 47 is a bit of an undeserved market and for good reason, its not nearly as popular as 6.5 CM.

Biggest issue was when I found there were NO large primer cases for 6.5 x 47, and I was running out of small rifle primers. My brother bailed me out with some 1000 boxes of CCI and I have been able to get a few of the 100x 3 times now and I am holding my own with primer stock.

Lots of large rifle primers and I have a 6.5 CM barrel if I need to shift. Powder is harder to get but I have a good stock of it as I buy in 5 or 8 lb jugs if I can now.
RC20,

I love my M Die and it works well. Im just tinkering with the undersized lee mandrel to increase neck tension just a wee bit and see if it improves my scores. I dont shoot groups anymore just scores. If it helps me hold a 10 ring and increase my X rings im all for it. If it doesnt will go back to my old setup
Old June 4, 2023, 06:35 PM   #33
akinswi

Sorry To OP that this thread went down a rabbit hole